FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Achilles

Author Topic: Achilles
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

- posted      Profile for cRaZy ToM           Edit/Delete Post 
I have read every book and i ownder....
Might OSC make a book from the point of view of achilles?

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the obession with Achilles that I'll never understand. The guy was too big for his britches. He thought he was all that and only ended up shot in the head. I for one wouldn't wanna read a story from the perspective of Achilles.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

Look at him....
a Kid off the street..bum leg..barley a bully.
Turns out to Manipulate India AND russia....in route to help china.....
He achieved peace ebtween India and Pakistan...
i would like to know Why he was so "ingenious"

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see him having a sort of Calvin Maker in Heartfire role, but I can't imagine a whole book from his point of view. Can you say unreliable narrator? Wow. 300-odd pages of a homicidal maniac's thoughts. Dunno if I could make it, even though if anyone could make it work it would be Card.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a brilliant Idea [Razz] . We should step into Achilles's shoes as well to see how he things. Thats actually quite a challenge to write even for OSCard, no one really knows how a homicidal maniac's mind really works. It would be very intresting to look at the world through the eyes of a maniac homicidal psycopath genius child.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cRaZy ToM
Member # 6474

Achilles book!
Achilles book!

Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we say Contraversial. This book would bring hate to Card because he might portray the mind of a madman the wrong way and end up getting a lawsuit because ome guys brother is a psychopathic killer and finds it offensive. It's just not a good idea.

And Achilles is gay. He got shot in the head with a .22! Come on! A .22! I think Card is trying to show us that Achilles died a pathetic death because he was a pathetic guy.

A .22! Good Riddance!

Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
How could you be so inconsiderate, callous, and prejudice! My best friend's a .22! I resemble that comment! Hey, it's not the calibre, it's the firepower! [Smile]
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification question: Kabed., how exactly is Achilles "gay"?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

Sorry. In Texas we use the word gay to mean dumb or weird. Actually now thinking about it I could how how that might be offensive so allow me to rephrase.

Achilles was ignorant and arrogant and he died because of it by a .22 caliber pistol (Which for you .22 lovers out there is quite possible. I had a friend whose son died from a .22 on the 4th of july).

And a .22 is your best friend? Come on man... We gotta knock up that caliber a little bit. Heh. .22's are little more exciting than BB Guns.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is gettin kind of weird. hey man, I'm from Southern California, and we take gay by that meaning too, like, "That music is so Gay!!"
would mean that music is stupid or corny.
Really, i don't think that Orsy(^.^; [Wink] would get a lawsuit for writing such a book, he isn't doing anything bad. Besides, it his character. He can turn him into a dutchwife if he wants to.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

I was more being exagerrative with the lawsuit. Just trying to explain how difficult and cotraversial the book would be if told from the eyes of a psychopathic killer.
Blackheartedwolf
Member # 6483

- posted      Profile for Blackheartedwolf   Email Blackheartedwolf         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to read a whole book coming from Achilles' point of view. The one small part near the end of Ender's Shadow, where you are in Achilles' mind, is bad enough! I don't want to read a full length novel with him thinking how he needs to "set things right."
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

If done properly, though, stories written with a mentally ill person as the main character can work. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and The Eden Express, to name just a couple. Although technically Eden is a memoir.)
There just has to be a balance in the narration. A whole book in the mind of a homicidal maniac is pushing it. But if you maybe tell the story as an omniscient outside presence and only show SOME of what is going on in the caverns of the mind it can be okay. Darn hard to do, though. I've tried some short stories in that style and it's just embarrassing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.