FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ultimate Iron Man #1 Review

Author Topic: Ultimate Iron Man #1 Review
NarCranor
Member # 7368

- posted      Profile for NarCranor   Email NarCranor         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome awesome issue. This was even better than I expected for OSC's first foray into the land of comics. Im really really really looking forward to the next issue. Howard (after Howard Hughes, im assuming) and Maria Stark never really did get much characterization done to them, so its really nice to see those characters fleshed out. Bravo
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven’t seen it in local comic stands yet and the dork I got it of on ebay hasn’t gotten it to me yet.
Great scott…..

It’s so funny trying to look at the magazines while really looking at the comic stand. Embarrassing….

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't find it!!!

I actually had to ask around work if anyone knew a comic store in town. Kinda' embarrassing.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my recollection, Howard Stark has always been the name of Anthony Stark's father in the comics.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinual
Member # 3172

- posted      Profile for Pinual   Email Pinual         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bit worried about the way the story changes Iron Man's history and the way it relects the Iron Man in The Ultimates. That said, I am looking forward to finding out what happens.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit I've never read an Ultimate book until this one. Sorry, I'm a die hard regular Marvel universe guy. I enjoyed the story, I'll be sure to pick up the rest of the mini series.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sorry, I'm a die hard regular Marvel universe guy."

You're really missing out on "Ultimate Spider-Man." The other Ultimate books aren't really all that fascinating, but Bendis' run on USS has been breathtakingly good.

But I'm an unashamed Bendis fanboy, so YMMV.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Even "Avengers DisAssembled", Tom?

USM is cool, but his "fixing" of the Avengers for the relaunch was utterly awful.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't a huge fan of the Avengers to start with, so I didn't even pick up "Disassembled." I've been enjoying the New Avengers so far, though.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
My dh Shane and I bought the issue last night. It was ok - a very good first effort at writing comics. It's such a tought form. The art is very well done. Even though I thought the chaging styles for the good guys v. bad guys was kinda cheesy, it worked.

I didn't think OSC did so great with the "dialog only" style of writing though. He may have relied too much on his artists to convey the story. I personally don't mind narration or wordiness in comics writing. I think he'll get the hang of it quickly, though. And I think he ought to contact Josh Wedon for assistance (if anyone else is reading Astonishing X-men right now, or have read Fray, Tales of the Slayers or Tales of Vampires, you'll know what I mean).

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this was sold out at all of the comic shops near me. I'm guessing it's doing pretty well. Congratulations, Mr. Card [Smile]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this issue yesterday! It was really good. Great set-up for the mini-series. I like how OSC gets into the science of the early armor and how that it affects Tony, who's not even born yet. Interesting stuff!

I can't wait for the next issue! I'm definitly going to keep reading!

DF2506

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
It was good, but short. I knew it would be short, but thats doesnt mean i still wouldnt be left wanting more.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, it felt long to ME. The hardest thing was coming up with ideas for visuals. The guy who never describes anything in his fiction or plays suddenly has to describe the scenes in some detail. So every frame was like pulling teeth.

Well, not really.

Come to think of it, maybe pulling teeth IS fun. I've never done it. I've had it done to ME. But who knows ... maybe my dentist is getting a real charge out of it ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I think that your broadness in describing things is one of your strongest points. I don't like being led by the nose like some authors do.

But, I'm still waiting on the mail to bring me my copies. So, I can't comment beyond that.

[ March 07, 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read a comic in a long time. I use to be a very big fan and still have a small collection of some of my favorites but this makes me really want to go and pick up a book for the first time in a long time. Hmm... think I'll head to the local comic store and see if they have it in.

editted to add: I agree with Scottneb completely. I enjoy the "get to the point" style of writting you have. You write character amazingly well and seriously, who needs to know the exact shade of green the grass. It's green, we know it's green and you don't insult us by explaining that it's green. You give us rich and full charcters we love and as long as we know they're in a big ship, or a space station, or somewhere in the Ohio wilderness we're happy.

[ March 07, 2005, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got mine -- I get a shipment of comics every two weeks from midtowncomics.com, so much easier -- and pushed the others out of the way to get to this one.

Nice. Very nice. Did just what the first issue is supposed to do: set the tone, established the ground rules of the universe we're in, and teased us with what's to come. End result: now I have to read the next one to see what happens.
Besides, I want to find out what happens to Jimmy. [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, with what OSC said, he has seriously made me re-consider my career path... If I were a dentist pulling teeth, would I have to use anesthesia? Ah, the sweet sound of the screams of agony... oh well, at least it's for their own good.

Seriously though, I would imagine it's a pain to have to be extremely descriptive for each comic panel, but I too love how you leave things broad. It allows for the readers imagination to build and construct its own meanings to the story. How can reading be fun if you can't change it slightly in your own mind?

Jeeze, I should really get my hands on an issue of this...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

To be honest, though, while I liked the first issue, I'm not sure how I feel about turning Tony Stark -- just about the only person in the Marvel universe without superpowers -- into, well, Bean.
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Stark is Bean, but with an alcohol problem.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Black Panther doesn't have super-powers, Tom.

[Smile]

Neither does the Punisher, Hawkeye, Henry Pym, Colonel Fury, Darkhawk, or Night Thrasher.

Boy, am I dating myself with Night Thrasher.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, Hawkeye's dead, Pym's in retirement, and the Punisher hasn't really been operating in the Marvel universe since Ennis got a hold of him. But you're right. [Smile]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I HAVE been out of touch.

Hawkeye's dead?

Hey, there's always Dakota North. . .

[ March 08, 2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I finally got my copies!

I'm very impressed! But, this is my first real experience with comic books, do they always have advertising like this one does?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes. But it's not like the old days, where you could buy X-ray specs for practically nothing!
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to comic books I am no longer a 98-pound-weakling who gets sand kicked in my face very time I go to the beach.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] My parents wouldn't let me order the novelty items advertised in comic books.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A suggestion for OSC -- when the issues are collected for a trade paperback, it'd be fun if they include some sample script pages. Say, a few pages from #1 -- and then a few pages from #6 -- it'd be interesting to see how you adapt to writing comics scripts.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of ads in comics: I always wanted the one that would let you throw your voice. And the system for becoming incredibly strong. Then I learned how to sing really loud, and as for being incredibly strong, all you have to do is not wash your socks. People run.

Once I did send off for one of those money-making offers. "Sell these beautiful plaques." Sounded great. then the plaques came. they were glitter glued on an ugly blue piece of heavy cardboard. Appallingly ugly. I couldn't sell them to a blind person because they even FELT icky.

My parents took mercy on me and sent them back with a stern warning to the seller not to prey on children; I'm not sure, though, whether they paid or not. I learned from that, however, that things that seem too good to be true usually are.

Hmmm. Maybe some of my avoidance of comic books was my shame at having been suckered by an ad in one of them.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I'm still way too new to this comic book stuff. Whats the release schedule?
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Issue #2 has been delayed... [Frown]
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. . . . I am incredibly strong, and my sea-monkeys and I love to stare at passers-by with our X-ray specs while we sit home all day, rich from selling plaques. Sometimes I shoot the mailman with my potato gun. Sometimes I show him magic tricks. It's all in good fun, though. Frankly, I'd have to say that comic books changed my life. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan5
Member # 1446

- posted      Profile for Logan5   Email Logan5         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really really looking forward to this. Haven't seen it yet. I haven't been pleased with the ultimates I've read so far. Especially Spidey... I kept hearing such wonderful things about it but when I picked it up I was shocked at how anybody could be praising it. [Dont Know]
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
So THAT's why you never let me buy the hovercraft-building kit in the back of Boy's Life!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Especially Spidey... I kept hearing such wonderful things about it but when I picked it up I was shocked at how anybody could be praising it."

Which issue did you pick up? Not all of 'em are gold, but the vast majority are.

DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimate Spiderman is my favorite of the Ultimate books. Of course, I'm a huge Spiderman fan too, so there you are. But, imo, its a really well written book too. I've enjoyed it quiete a bit. Once and awhile there is a so-so issue, but most of the time its really good.

Anyway, I think Ultimate Iron Man is a great addition to the line. I definitly plan to keep reading it!

DF2506
" Hasn't had the chance to read Shadow of the Giant yet! And I really want to read it ALOT. *sigh* "

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Officially bought my first comic book in years today. I enjoyed it. Too short to have much of an opinion about it yet but I like where it is leading and I think that it a series I will continue to read. I know absolutely nothing about Iron Man. I think the set-up is pretty cool though, but of course I know nothing about the history and wether or not OSC is going down a road completely off base to the original.

Well, anyways, thanks Mr. Card for introducing me to yet another "childish" (as my wife puts it) addiction. One that I had actually beaten into submision years ago. I thought the computer, the video games, the anime and cartoons, and the ever present obsession with sci-fi/fantasy was enough. I guess it won't hurt to throw comics back into the mix. [Smile]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.