FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Quick question from a newbie (to the site, NOT to OSC)...

Author Topic: Quick question from a newbie (to the site, NOT to OSC)...
adamsfrood42
Member # 7464

- posted      Profile for adamsfrood42   Email adamsfrood42         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy all! [Hat] Just curious if anyone else noticed this randomly at some point long ago...

My two favorite authors of all time and eternity are OSC (obviously, or I wouldn't be here) and Douglas Adams. I'm assuming many of you are pretty avid sci-fi readers and have read some of Adams' works, most notably the HHGTTG. [Big Grin] Anyway, I make a point of posting a little memorial at all sites which mention his passing. While checking up on my posting at douglasadams.com, my eye caught a heading reading "I'm Glad He's Dead." Unable to resist, I opened it. The posting read "Personally, I'm glad he's dead. Now there's more room on the market for the rest of us." It went on for a while, even calling Mr. Adams a "worthless piece of scum." This was all rather offensive to me as a great fan of his, and I was appalled to think someone would post such a comment in a forum meant to commemorate his life, but I was even more dismayed to find that the author of the posting called himself OSC, and closed with a link to Ender's Game with a P.S. suggesting we read "his" book. [Angst]

I'm not sure whether the posting was actually written by Mr. Card, or if it was just some smart aleck kid trying to provoke response. It certainly doesn't seem like the kind of thing Mr. Card would say, particularly in a memorial forum. Anyone else seen this, or have an opinion on the subject? I'd be terribly disillusioned to learn that Mr. Card actually DID author the posting...I've been a tremendous fan of his now for years... [Frown]

Thanks! -Melissa

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know OSC personally or anything, but I can say with absolute certainty that it was NOT really him.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamsfrood42
Member # 7464

- posted      Profile for adamsfrood42   Email adamsfrood42         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't think so. I couldn't picture him saying something like that in reference to a man many of his own fans enjoy reading the works of.

Even if it WERE him, you could technically have construed him as being sarcastic. Douglas would have appreciated the humor.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC would never post anything of the kind.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC absolutely did NOT post anything like that. Nor would he ever. We would really appreciate a link to that site so we can at least ask them to take that incredibly offensive impersonation down! Thanks, Kristine Card
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it seems like people really have it in for OSC. First, the racist thing, now this?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamsfrood42
Member # 7464

http://www.douglasadams.com/cgi-bin/mboard/info/thread.cgi?7078,0

There's a link to the posting.

I thought most people would agree with me. It's nice to know I don't have to suffer through disillusionment. [Wink]

By the way, Mrs. Card, I just feel like mentioning that I think it's awesome that your son Charlie Ben is disabled. I have two brothers with autism myself and appreciate any reference portraying the disabled community in a positive light, especially through one of my favorite authors (i.e., in the acknowledgements at the end of SotH) [Big Grin]

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie Ben passed away a couple of years ago. I have a number of disabled relatives and while I love them very much, I'm not sure "it's awesome" is quite the sentiment I would go for. It is awesome how OSC has incorporated his experiences into sympathetic characters. I think that may have been what you meant.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

The scary thing is...people might actually think it's him
quote:
Come on folks. Orson and Douglas were good friends and both had a great sense of humor. Take it for the good nature between authors that it was meant.
That scares me.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* I find it hard to believe that Orson Scott Card and Douglas Adams were good friends. Although Kristine is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, two more different people are difficult to imagine. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

What I meant was that people are actually talking as if it was really OSC saying those things.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Sometimes you just have to sit back and look at some folks like they're part of a fascinating sociological experiment, rather than being actual people. Cause then you'd get mad [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Adam[edit: Melissa], you seem to have picked a weird first topic about Card.

I like Douglas Adams also, and didn't know he was dead, I'm sorry to hear that.
Morbo [Frown]

[Edit:I copied this from another thread that adam=melissa was on, because I was DWP--Drunk While Posting: wouldnt u like to read...

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Jeeseee I'm Dumb!!!! It took me reading this entire thread to go "wait a minute, wasn't Douglas Adams the guy that wrote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?" Even though it was mentioned in the first post!!! I didn't recognize it first because it was only its anitials.(HHGTTG) I'm feeling slow now. I've been saying it for years, School rots our brains.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

P.S. I didn't know he was dead. That's to bad. How recently did this happen?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
mothertree said:
quote:
Charlie Ben passed away a couple of years ago.

[ March 08, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew Douglas Adams.

But even if he had been my worst enemy, I wouldn't have made such a crude and tasteless post. Even if I were that much of a jerk, I'm not a stupid jerk - I know how it would make me look.

And the giveaway is that I would never, never, never ask people to read or buy Ender's Game. That's just pathetic.

So whoever posted it was deliberately trying to make me look like a stupid self-promoting jerk.

This is wrong. Because I'm a completely different kind of jerk. I'm a devilishly clever, deceptively benign, conspiratorial jerk who plans to take over the world within the next five years, but to do it so deviously that no one will ever know that I did it. Nor will anyone notice when I relinquish control only a few days later, after I have subtly crushed all my enemies under my feet in ways that they think are the result of their own foolish choices.

Nyah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I always knew you were Peter.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. Is "peter" OSC, and is OSC the actual guy?

*screams into nearest pillow*

ok, I'm done.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- OSC's goal in life.
To write and direct a romantic comedy that's even better and more successful than You've Got Mail. And no, I'm not joking.---OSC in another thread.

I'm a devilishly clever, deceptively benign, conspiratorial jerk who plans to take over the world within the next five years, but to do it so deviously that no one will ever know that I did it. --OSC, this thread.

You've out-smarted yourself, Mr. Card--now the whole world will gasp in shock at your fiendish plot to conquer the world using romantic comedy. [Evil Laugh] [Kiss]

Morbo

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what they'll THINK I'm doing.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
*collapses*
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, initially I was skeptical of OSC's plans... But then I noticed his posting times. 2:30AM is prime plotting-to-take-over-the-world time.

Why else do you think all Ronco infomercials air on almost every channel at that time?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why else do you think all Ronco infomercials air on almost every channel at that time?

Because it's so hard to remember things then. It's much easier to just set it and forget it.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Mr. Card you will have to take it away from Mickey Mouse first. I mean Disney has a piece of everything out their from TV to toothbrushes. Mickey rules the world and we just don't realize it. So I ask you...Are you prepared to face that kind of enemy? [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Hail]
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm a devilishly clever, deceptively benign, conspiratorial jerk who plans to take over the world within the next five years, but to do it so deviously that no one will ever know that I did it.
While you're at it, could you please force the Kozy Shack company to sell their flan in 18-ounce tubs instead of those tiny little single-serving cups that you have to eat six or seven of in order to feel full?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So...do you routinely fill up on flan Yozhik?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Flan that is not homemade, that you buy in a plastic cup at a grocery store, is an abomination. I'm quite certain Mr. Card agrees with me on this.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
**Eagerly awaits arrival of homemade flan from Icarus**
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't fill up on it!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FLAN

½ taza azúcar blanca
5 huevos
1 lata leche condensada
1 taza leche
1 cdta de vainilla

Ponga al fuego la media taza de azúcar hasta que se derrita y bañe con ese caramelo in molde de flan. Bata los huevos, claras y yemas, y añádelas la leche condensada, de la vaca, y la vainilla. Únalo todo bien y póngalo en el molde acaramelado. Cocínelo al baño de María hasta que al introducirle un palillo salga seco. En una olla de presión cocínelo a 15 libras de
presión con tres cuartos taza de agua durante 20 ó 25 minutos.

Enjoy!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
Tack för receptet! Planerar en kupp för att ta över marknaden! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is going to take over the world, I will rule the world. With the swift hand of iron dictatorship the world shall bend to my rule. And then I can munipulate grammar to fit my own means so that way cheese means death. The world shall crumble. And Monty Python, OSC, and Douglas Adams will become required material for everyone in the known universe to be familiar with.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the best plan ever. You might consider not telling everyone about your secret plans, however. [Big Grin]
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You might also learn to use a spell-checker . . . [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.