FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » uhh, is this kind of stuff Copyrighted?

Author Topic: uhh, is this kind of stuff Copyrighted?
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Today i was searchin Enders Game on google, and then i noticed some weired picutre, i clicked the link to discover a metal band http://www.endersgametheband.com/
Is this against some kind of copyright? Because i doubht that they came up with that name themselves, posotive infact. Whats up with that Mr.Card?

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, even if having the name doesn't (which it likely does), I think the fact that they sell Enders Game shirts really violates OSC's trademark.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Titles aren't covered by copyright. You could name your band "Lothlorien" (somebody did) or "Planet of the Apes" (I hope not).
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rackham
Member # 8127

- posted      Profile for Rackham   Email Rackham         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
thats gotta be the funniest thing ive seen all day.

you know at least one of them were like, "dude, i know the perfect name for our band..." and procedes to show them a copy of enders game.lol.

i dont know about the whole copyrighted or trademarked thing, but id be a little upset with some lame band stealing the name of one of my best books.<grin>

Posts: 62 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
Titles aren't covered by copyright. You could name your band "Lothlorien" (somebody did) or "Planet of the Apes" (I hope not).

...or Veruca Salt. [Wink]
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also a startlingly similar typeface as that used in the cover for the book.
*puts on copyright/trademark enforcement badge*

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey if this was Lucasfilm they'd have a swarm of nastie lawyers all over them.

I don't even think any of us are allowed to say Sith or Jedi without paying .50 cents to Lucas.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMCSteel
Member # 6321

- posted      Profile for AMCSteel   Email AMCSteel         Edit/Delete Post 
Though everyone Knows there are about 50 bands starting up right now Going to call themselves...

Order 66

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS is "the patio"

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
that heavy metal band had a good song titled "hour of destiny" the lyrics relte pretty well with Enders Game.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
We can get Dag on them!
We'll set up a pay pal account for donations to the stop the band fund.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
This is rich on the bottom of the page:

copyright © 2002-2005 enders game. all rights reserved.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The use of the Ender's Game title as the name of the band is a trademark issue, not a copyright issue. And I don't know the specifics except to say that names from copyrighted books/movies are pretty popular with bands (Veruca Salt as mentioned, plus Zuzu's Petals, and about 10 more I thought of when I read this at work but can't remember now), and I haven't heard of many cases involving this.

As for copyright, parody is pretty strongly protected, and most songs about a story can be pitched as parody. How do you think Weird Al got away with "My, My this here Annakin guy"? [Smile]

But, there are lots of people who lose such battles in court, too. If you want to make such a parody, talk to a lawyer first.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you think Weird Al got away with "My, My this here Annakin guy"?
Actually, Weird Al gets permission for all his parodies. That's why he's never parodied Prince nor done a video for his parody of Eminem.

edit: Never mind. You are talking about using the Star Wars character in the song. What I said is irrelevant. Cary on.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

I hear Coolio was pretty burnt about Amsih Paradise. I guess his people cleard it, but he did not.

Weird Al said, "His people told me it was coolio to do it." [Smile]

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of bands borrow names from books or media.

I guess I'm thinking "They Might Be Giants" here.

Of course, that was kind of an obscure flick--nowadays, probably more people have heard of the band.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorDevice
Member # 8137

- posted      Profile for DoctorDevice           Edit/Delete Post 
theres a band called "Mazer Rackham"
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And, of course, Toad the Wet Sprocket.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.endersgametheband.com/bio.html

[Angst] What is that thing in the middle?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blonsky214
Member # 8119

- posted      Profile for blonsky214   Email blonsky214         Edit/Delete Post 
it's not the same name anyway, they forgot the apostrophe!
Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rackham
Member # 8127

- posted      Profile for Rackham   Email Rackham         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorDevice:
theres a band called "Mazer Rackham"

really?

its a pretty good name to use, oh i dont know, on an internet forum. but a band?.... [Grumble]

Posts: 62 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
This is rich on the bottom of the page:

copyright © 2002-2005 enders game. all rights reserved.

Where do you see that?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.