FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I was confused at the beggining of Crystal City

Author Topic: I was confused at the beggining of Crystal City
hookedonpepsi22
Member # 7346

- posted      Profile for hookedonpepsi22   Email hookedonpepsi22         Edit/Delete Post 
At the beggining of The Crystal City it starts out in New Orleans(Barcy) but at the end of Heartfire it talks of going to the Crystal City in Tenizzy. It also says that the first baby had died but when Heartfire ends the baby is fine. I was just wondering why there was so much of a time differance between the two books.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 8166

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to read the story, The Yazoo Queen, in Legends II
Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to write of the Tennizy "Crystal City" in a separate short story, a la Grinning Man.

As for the babies, my recollection is poor, but didn't they lose one pregnancy, then start another?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hookedonpepsi22
Member # 7346

- posted      Profile for hookedonpepsi22   Email hookedonpepsi22         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks I will have to look into both those stories.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 8166

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
My memory's no better than yours, OSC, but that sounds right.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridger Blood
Member # 8705

- posted      Profile for Bridger Blood   Email Bridger Blood         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first time on this board and I've not been too successful finding out the answers to this by browsing old messages, so forgive me if I'm going over too much old ground. I've been intending to read the Alvin series for a while now, but only just recently got around to it. It is very enjoyable, and I am now part way through Crystal City. However, I just had to stop and check on Hatrack to see if there was a book I had missed - for some of the same reasons as hookedonpepsi2. I can see now that there isn't a missing book in the series as such, but part of the story is told elsewhere nevertheless. So, "Grinning Man", "The Yazoo Queen" - any others? And what book is GM in?

BTW I hate to question an author's assertions about his own books, but, since I've just read Heartfire, my memory doesn't need to be all that good to know that A & P's first baby was still OK and unborn at the end of it. So they may have "lost one pregnancy, then started another", but not in anything I've yet read. Or are you saying that that happened in one of the short stories listed above?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Grinning Man is in the Legends collection, and Yazoo Queen is in Legends II. The third (working title White Prophet), to which OSC refers above (a la Grinning Man) is not yet written, and ostensibly will take place pretty much immediately after Heartfire.

The losing of one pregnancy and starting another wasn't included in either short story -- it's only referenced in Crystal City as something that happened in the past.

And welcome to Hatrack.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.