FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Help with Alvin Maker comic books?

Author Topic: Help with Alvin Maker comic books?
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
As Roland Brown is writing the script for the Alvin Maker comics (we're starting with Red Prophet; the publisher is the Dabel Brothers, who are also publishing Wyrms as a comic book series), he's run up against the fact that we can't leave ages as vague as I tend to do in my fiction.

So we need to know how to nail down the relative ages of the children in the Miller family: "David, Calm, Measure, Beatrice, Elizabeth, Ann and Mary.
Eleanor, Vigor (sorta), Wastenot and Wantnot's ages were easy enough to figure out."

My guess is that there is NO reference to their ages that is exact at all. Anybody know otherwise? Because some poor artist has to DRAW these people.

Meanwhile, I'm assuming that I DO give a list of them that at least tells their birth order. Right? [Confused]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
4 8 15 16 23 and 42?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

At what point in the story?
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 8410

- posted      Profile for Evergreen   Email Evergreen         Edit/Delete Post 
At the beginning of Seventh Son:

Calvin-3
Alvin-6
Mary-10
Anne-12
Elizabeth-14
Beatrice-15
Matilda-16
Twins-18
Measure-22

I wasn't able to find the ages of David, Eleanor, and Calm, but you did say that Eleanor is the oldest daughter and Calm is the oldest son (after Vigor, of course).

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:

At what point in the story?

Well, Alvin is 4 four years after he's born in Hatrack River. Four years after that he's 8. After Red Prophet or so he's 15, followed directly by being 16. Being 23 though is a while later, I think during Crystal City, perhaps Heartfire. I don't think he's ever 42 in the story.

The same pattern follows for the other characters as well.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, don't listen to T_Smith. He's just rattling off Hurley's numbers from LOST [Smile]

Smith, you're going to ruin a whole comic book, you jackanapes!

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

That's a 10 dollar word right there.
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I used it as the name of one of my characters in City of Heroes. He was a little monkey with red and green motley painted on his fur.

No one can stop the JACKANAPES!

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to post some events as I find them to try to nail this down:

Vigor is oldest and "lived to be a man but never married." (Seventh Son, next to last page of Chapter 4).

Alvin is 6 when he saw the Shining Man, 10 when he was captured by Reds (Red Prophet, first page of Chapter 7)

The twins were 12 when Alvin was born (Seventh Son, first page chapter 2)

Four years between Alvin and his next older sibling (sister, presumably). Id, last page chapter 2.

Elanor is 14 when Alvin is born, younger than all the boys except the twins, Alvin, and Calvin. Id. Chapter 4, p. 19 (of the book, not the chapter)

Calvin was 3 when the ridgebeam fell (Id., Chapter 6, p. 37)

Matilda was 16 when the ridgebeam fell (Id., Chapter 7, p. 52)

Alvin was 6 when the ridgebeam fell (Id.)

Mary was 10 when the ridgebeam fell (Id.)

Beatrice 15, Elizabeth 14, Anne 12 when the ridgebeam fell (Id. p. 53).

RESULTS so far:
Calvin: -3
Alvin: 0
Waste/Want-not: +12
Mary: +4
Anne: +6
Elizabeth: +8
Beatrice: +9
Matilda: +10
Elanor: +14
Calm: Older than Elanor and married when Alvin was 6, so say at least + 15.
David: Older than Elanor and married when Alvin was 6, so say at least +16.
Vigor: "Lived to be a man" when Alvin was born, so say +18-20.

That's all I could find, so I pretty much just confirmed Evergreen's findings, except for finding Elanor's age.

[ August 26, 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

This is great. I bet this is everything Roland needed. You're great, folks!

Jackanapeses rule. So stay out of the jackanapeses' way.

trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
eh?
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
jackanapeses?
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I just came across the part where we find out Arthur Stuart arrives at Hatrack when Alvin is 11. Just for completeness's sake:

Arthur Stuart: -11

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, this seems as likely a spot to post this as any place. Someone was talking about hereditary magic over on the writer's workshop and it got me thinking:

"Thinking of Seventh Son, I imagine Alvin Miller must have weeded out any women who did not come from large families. I wonder if there was anyone he wanted to marry but because they were an only child he couldn't. I wonder if he ever thought of having sons with several different women. Hmmm. I wonder if Calvin tries this. I wonder if such a person shows up and creates trouble for Alvin Jr. And he could be French, too."

However, it seems as though Calvin didn't start sowing his wild oats until he got back from France, so it would have to be a French person in Canada or somethin.

Anyway, I know ideas are cheap. I just want to know what happens next! I got First meetings but I wonder if part of why I haven't finished it is I like my mental version of things instead. That Theresa was recruited by Graff to marry JP.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got First meetings but I wonder if part of why I haven't finished it is I like my mental version of things instead. That Theresa was recruited by Graff to marry JP.
That's how things go in your mind, and you haven't even read FM yet? You really need to read it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok…. Got to tease here a bit. So remember this is unserious. So here it goes….

Scott you always talks about how your stories are like your kids. Specifically I remember you saying its like if someone says they don’t like this book is sort of like saying you don’t like this kid. Or something like that. So…… maybe my question should be more towards Puppy. Does Scott have to ask Kristine what order you all were born in and age ranges?
Sheeze……..

Ok, sorry, couldn’t resist.
On a more serious side I think it is so great that you check out little things like this to make sure all is done right. Not to mention probably saves valuable research time so you can spend more time writing great books! Now back to the typewriter with ya!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, I'm pretty sure OSC can tell you what order he wrote the books in. Just like he can tell you what order he had his children in.

But I suspect he'd be just as hard-pressed to tell you details of my life now as he is to recite precise details of the content of his novels [Smile] That's pretty normal ...

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for sure! Heck I have to look up details about my own life. Some of those government applications want to know everything!!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Roland? You mean Roland Deschain?
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
As Roland Brown is writing the script for the Alvin Maker comics

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have release dates yet for the Alvin and Wyrms comics? Also, will we be able to buy them here or will we have to go through another site?

BTW, Fat Farm is amazing. I really love Jin's art paired with Johnson's adaptation.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.