FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Protrayal of Islam in SoftG

Author Topic: Protrayal of Islam in SoftG
Qadar
Member # 7175

- posted      Profile for Qadar   Email Qadar         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that i was impressed by the mostly positive protrayal of Islam in the shadow series, even with Alais khalifate souring in the end.
The other thing i found interesting is the close relations between Syria and Isreal.
You dont get much exposure of religion in Science fiction literature and as a muslim i found it refreshing.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
what does Qadar stand for?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. You have no idea ... or maybe you do! ... how careful I had to be to accomplish exactly what you observed. Given that America is at war with a certain group of Muslim extremists right now, I was afraid that I might inadvertently spoil this book by making it seem that it was somehow allegorically about the present situation. I don't want my novels tied to a moment in time. I also don't want to be unfair to people of faith.

I don't actually predict anything in the Shadow books - after all, I don't think we'll ever be invaded by aliens, so anything that happens after the alien invasion is obviously pure fantasy.

But at the same time, the current situation of the Arab/Muslim world will NOT go on. It can't. So I painted a picture of what the Middle East might be like after the people had their fill of terrorism - after NOBODY supported the terrorists anymore (which is, of course, the way that terrorists are ultimately defeated - rather like what happened to the kind of racists in America who used to lynch black people to terrorize them; when the people whose support they depended on stopped respecting them and concealing them, they fell apart).

Could a close relationship between Israel and its neighbors EVER develop?

Of course it could.

It's happened over and over and over again. Britain rescuing its ancient Catholic archenemy, Spain, from Napoleon. France and Germany now as staunch allies. Britain and France being intense allies from WWI through the end of WWII, after literally centuries of war. Turkey and Greece being members of NATO. (OK, I threw that in as a joke. They ain't exactly friends yet ...).

You want to know when the people of the Middle East will be prosperous, with strong local economies? When they are at peace and at liberty. And when will that happen? When they stop using hatred of Israel as a rallyinga cry and instead join the Israeli economy and use it to seed all their neighbors'.

OK, yeah, I'm dreaming.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Off-topic: I laughed when I saw "SoftG" as the abbreviation for Shadow of the Giant. All I could think of was the "g" sound in "pigeon." (The standard abbreviation is "SotG," right?)
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qadar
Member # 7175

- posted      Profile for Qadar   Email Qadar         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid- Qadar means Fate in arabic, but the meaning has changed to something like "Lucky" in somali.

OSC
Yes i do understand how you had to tip toe over those issues, but i share the optimism.
Things cannot continue this way, even though they are likely to get worse peace is possible in the end.

I believe the root of the problem is lack of democacy, the Islamic world will continue to suffer from failure in all fields and humiliation unless power is taken from the Kings,Amirs,Sultans and Presidents for life and given to the people.
People to Peoplpe the situation is not that bad, for example i grew up in an arab country were Isreal and Jews were demonized and yet i made some really good isreali friends as a student in Sydney Australia.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ziusudra
Member # 8601

- posted      Profile for Ziusudra   Email Ziusudra         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the root of the problem is corruption. There have been corrupt democracies under which the people have suffered and benevolent rulers for life that have brought prosperity, peace and liberty.

It all comes down to the problem that those who desire power are rarely fit to wield it.

Which is why Senatorial based democracies have the best record of ingendering liberty, peace and prosperity. One corrupt member can do only so much damage, while multiple corrupt members and factions tend to be kept in check by each other and less corrupt elements.

So, yes, democracy is one path to peace, liberty and prosperity; if it does not start out somewhat free of corruption it may very well colapse before it can cleanse itself; as seems to be happening in Russia. (Oh Russia, what you could've been, should've been.)

As for you, OSC, while I agree that peace and liberty are linked to prosperity, does prosperity come from peace and liberty, or vice versa?

[ September 12, 2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Ziusudra ]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the US system of government would fit anywhere, with some minor changes, and would allow any nation to prosper, with minor changes, but religion CANNOT play any part in government due to the fact that everyone has a different view on religion, and while people may be willing to change political views, almost no one will change religious views.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The only way that religion will not play a part in any system of government is if that government is made up entirely of atheists. People cannot simply choose to put aside their religious beliefs, we're simply not capable of it. Even people who chose to throw aside the religion that they are raised in as adults are still shadowed by the tenets of that religion throughout their lives.
The idea of separation of church and state was a wonderful one, but despite what so many Americans believe, it was not designed to keep religious people from using their beliefs as a guide in making governmental decisions. It was created solely to prevent any one religion from taking over the government

Could the current system of American government be adapted for any country? I have to say that I hope not. Not that we aren't lucky to have a governmental system that allows the people to have a voice, but I wouldn't want to see carbon copy America's sprout up all over the world. Each nation needs to determine what the best system of government is for itself not simply copy something that is already in place. That is exactly what the founding fathers of this nation did. They looked at the various options for government and created a Constitution which would best serve their people.

In addition, I would like to state categorically that America is not a democracy it is a republic, which the school systems seem to forget. We elect representatives who then make the decisions and the laws. If this were a true democracy, we would have to hold a vote for every single governmental decision that needed to be made. Considering the apathetic response every four years for Presidential elections, I shudder to think what the state of the country would be in a true democracy. [Cry]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Small Green Martian
Member # 8597

- posted      Profile for Small Green Martian   Email Small Green Martian         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic, but I had to take issue with this:

quote:
You dont get much exposure of religion in Science fiction literature and as a muslim i found it refreshing
I'd hesitate to agree with that, though I don't have that many examples off the top of my head, but take any Sheri S. Tepper book, or Dune or The Godmakers by Frank Herbert.
Whilst I haven't come across that many science fiction books with reference to Islam, though that's not to say none, there are certainly many that involve Christianity or made up future-religions.
And the lack of Islam I'd ascribe to the fact that the majority of science fiction in English is american/western, rather than an aversion to inclusion of religion itself.

AW

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit the Odd
Member # 4975

- posted      Profile for Kit the Odd   Email Kit the Odd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
I think the US system of government would fit anywhere, with some minor changes, and would allow any nation to prosper, with minor changes, but religion CANNOT play any part in government due to the fact that everyone has a different view on religion, and while people may be willing to change political views, almost no one will change religious views.

I disagree to some extent here. If people are able to act and make decisions based on their religious beliefs, but do not force them on others (i.e. act as I believe and allow others the same privledge) then I think religion can play a part in government. In other words, I believe it is possible theoretically despite despairing of it ever actually happening.

I also have to disagree with the last statement. There are LOTS of people that change religious views. Just lots less than are willing to change political beliefs.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.