FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Young Writers Forum?

Author Topic: Young Writers Forum?
Ian S.
Member # 7919

- posted      Profile for Ian S.   Email Ian S.         Edit/Delete Post 
Gone? [Confused] [Confused]

Hope people dont accuse me of t3h spammage but i couldnt help noticing [Frown]

Oh and Hi everyone [Wave] i rarely post.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's gone because, apparently, it went the way of rudeness, namecalling, and downright meanness.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian S.
Member # 7919

oh [Frown] stupid immature kiddlies [Frown]

And that means there is no help for me (under 18) here?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm under the general impression that, as long as you follow the rules and behave yourself, ie not act like an immature 13 year old (which I'm not saying you are, mind you), then no one cares if you are 13. In other words, don't advertise your lack of over-18 and no one will care.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian S.
Member # 7919

oh em jee hope you're right [Big Grin]

Plus im not the kind of 13 year old that says "omg im only 1..3 lol!!" [Wink]

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I kind of lurked around at the Young Writer's Workshop, and it was pretty bad... The biggest tihng that stands out in my mind is a certain Harry Potter fanfic.

The writing itself looked a lot like, perhaps, someone in early elementary school had written. Perhaps a kid liked Harry Potter, saw that fans wrote fanfics, wanted to join in, and had his parents find him Hatrack (who probably wouldn't have researched too in-depth).

Anyway, even though it was pretty poorly written, it was poorly written in the way you'd get from a very young person. This was very obvious, and yet several people insulted the writing without giving any kind of constructive criticism at all. There were a few people who defended it and rebuked the flamers, but the damage was done...

It would be easy to imagine some little kid proudly writing and submitting his fanfic and then refusing to ever write (or even read) anything again because of the rude treatment of his story. Fortunately, I think it turned out to be written by one of the members under a flase username to see what would happen, but the that was unknown at the time, so...

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, the Mean Unicorn was a joke. It was to show what not to write... if you didn't want flamed. I guess it worked perfectly.

Honestly, I miss young writers, but it did get too rude and mean... and just immature.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a young writer and aren't rude or mean (!), you might drop by http://apollyein.proboards44.com/ or http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/?mforum=writers . I haven't been there, but they seem to have been started by ex-YW Hatrackers. There is a thread on the regular Hatrack workshop site titled "This forum is for those 18 or older" where these are discussed.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I was so sad when it disappeared. My primary form of amusement vanished. [Roll Eyes]

I doubt Harry Potter and the Mean Unicorn was actually real. It seemed pretty obvious to me that it was a parody of bad fanfiction. And it was hysterical.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.