FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Allright need help with a story I'm "making"

Author Topic: Allright need help with a story I'm "making"
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
So after being pestered for about..... 6 months I've decided to dust off the RPG maker and begin once more on making an RPG.

Now don't get me wrong a role playing game is a story in its own way, how the plot developes is still up to me just that there's a little more fun and stuff for the user.

So first a few questions: Would Mr Cards writing classes help? Especially since its an oriental setting?

Secondly, any ideas for some oriental names? With the restriction that the given name for the main character HAS to be Ryuujin.

And thirdly, for martial artists out there what would a list of sword techniques be and hand to hand combat.

Like, for example on of my main characters will be a "monk" in the DnD sense where he has either A: knuckles weapons, his fists, feet, and various staffs and other such non sharp weapons.

Also on to the next thing anyone with any good reference sites for Kendo, Kenjutsu or argh whatever the otherone was with fixated on drawing the sword at god-like speeds.

So... here's my idea for the beginning plot:

the main character starts off as a young boy who is training to be a great Samurai like his ancestors before him and in this "chapter" we introduce him to his younger brother and a girl he likes (as the non-throw away chars) and everything could never be better for him, a manner house, a town of respectful and hardworking townspeople a large and loving family and a proud Clan to be a part of...

And so being the ass I am ( [Evil] ) I decide to trash this nice little child hood by having it so that it looks like his entire clan is wiped out leaving him the sole survivor. We introduce who is supposedly the main villain (for now, don't have a name yet) who you challange and predictably lose to (but not game over yet [Wink] ) you wake up in the next scene in a monestary with kind caring monks who tell you the awful news (because with all the confusing you still have a faint glimmer of hope so thus I have to crush it) and you spaze out and you swear revenge. The monks frown on this but do not wish for you to enter the world without proper training and send you off to find a swordsmaster you will over the next 4-8 years sowrdsmanship.

I'm not entirely sure about what happens after but I do intent to have a tournament system which gives you know the usual, money, equipment, the occasional side quest and mandatory story event [Roll Eyes] . I also intent to use the closest approximation of the map of Japan I can make for a world map focusing on western Honsho, Kyushu, and Shikaku. Another thing I'm considering is sitting this RPG on the sidelines of historical events focusing on what should become the beginning of the Sengoku Jidei "The Era of the Country at War" and thus offering a look at historical events through the perspective of our little hero with of course the uaual Ahistoric stuff, such as demons, dragons and all the random monters you fight [Razz] .

Feed back? People who help will have their names in the credits and I'll provide the finished product when its down to the Hatracker RPG junkie community.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about classes, but his characterization and viewpoint book should help. One of the limitations in RPG storytelling is that the players can only see what the other characters do while they are there. There's only so many times players can stand to listen to some old guy in the quaint inn tell them about the strange Count that lives in the castle. Plus, the players will distrust what they hear, at least a little. Especially if you tend to mess with their minds as all good GMs should.

So your methods for developing characters are a little more limited, and OSC's book has great explanations of what this means. It should help you create better characters with the tools you have in an RPG.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
My thought is, plot generation is plot generation, so the class should help. From what I can see, Characters & Viewpoint is a good summary.

Oriental names: what nationality? Sounds like you're going for Japanese. I'd look for a page of Japanese first names on Internet, and pick the ones that sound right. I assume your audience will mostly be English-speakers. Taro, Yasuhiro, Ichiro are cool for men; don't use Shinnosuke (unless you intend to be funny -- it's like "Binky" or something is to us). Masako, Mitsuko, Keiko are pretty feminine names to me. So's Miuki, although it's usually a man's name.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dag, thanks Will. And sorry for making those remakrs about your bunbun I was trying to be funny [Big Grin] .
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.