FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Dancing Bear

Author Topic: The Dancing Bear
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I spent a summer of my youth reading the majority of Mr. Card's published works, and noticed that a dancing bear showed up more than once. I realize it was just a literary device, but i've always wondered how that bear managed to waltz his way into OSC's stories.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to think of ANY story of mine with a dancing bear. Are you sure you're not thinking of John Irving?

There are very dangerous bears in two stories: Enchantment and Grinning Man, plus a song about not getting eaten by a bear in Alvin Journeyman. Apart from that, I'm fresh out of ideas about where I might have used bears. As far as I can recall, none of these bears dance.

Enchantment has a bear because it's in RUSSIA! <grin>

The two bears in the Alvin series are there because they were the most fearsome predators in the American frontier. The American equivalent of dragons. What, I should have used a wolverine? <grin>

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember several bears, but the only "dancing bear" reference I remember at present was in Memory of Earth, when Issib was telling Nafai "not about lost words, but words that have lost their meaning because the thing they referred to no longer exists." (Only a paraphrase there -- I'd quote exactly, but my copies are all in the bedroom right now, and Mama is taking a nap.)

What other dancing bears were there, airman?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't one of the characters that Ender could play as in the Mind Game a bear?

... not that it was dancing or anything.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about the Mind Game but ther was a time Ender was playing a game made for launchies where he was controling a bear, when he died it was a cute death with music I belive, maybe it danced a little while it died.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The bear in the Alvin series and in Enchantment were both missing an eye. I still haven't been able to figure out the meaning or connection for these two.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

No sir, the bear wasn't a character, it was a device used as a simile, describing something that was lumberingly graceful. it isn't a large or stand-out part of any book, but i've wondered why you used it more than once. its very unique and has stuck with me. i'll try to back myself up, and feel kind of foolish telling the author what he wrote.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't sound all that unique to me. A dancing bear sounds like the perfect simile to convey lumbering grace. It's positively archetypal. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do remember several bears, but the only "dancing bear" reference I remember at present was in Memory of Earth, when Issib was telling Nafai "not about lost words, but words that have lost their meaning because the thing they referred to no longer exists." (Only a paraphrase there -- I'd quote exactly, but my copies are all in the bedroom right now, and Mama is taking a nap.)
Huh. I could have sworn that this takes place in one of the Foundation stories.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You're not researching lost words. You're researching words that have lost their meanings because the thing they refer to doesn't exist anymore."
--The Memory of Earth, chapter six, and yes, they were referring (in part) to a dancing bear.

So I was decently close. I still can't think of another reference to it, though.

*quick Google search*

Ok, chapter two of Alvin Journeyman, apparently. First paragraph.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

and that memory of earth theme seems to travel in the same vein as "the originist".
airmanfour
Member # 6111

the quote from Memory of Earth, i mean

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.