FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Homecoming BOM basis

Author Topic: Homecoming BOM basis
muzza
Member # 8676

- posted      Profile for muzza   Email muzza         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I am a new reader of OSC, up to Vol 4 of Homecoming, and loving it. Having read the Book of Mormon about 15 times it didn't take me long to work out what was coming next in a few situations. Not complaining at all, as there are some great twists and turns in the various plots and sub-plots.
My question to OSC is this - why do you borrow so much from the Book of Mormon? Is it simply that there are darned good stories there that can be retold in a different setting and so why not use them? Or is it perhaps a way of educating people on some very sound BOM teachings in an entertaining, and thoroughly enthralling way?
I have personally gained a better understanding of some principles since reading Homecoming, particularly in being a better husband who is more grateful for the beautiful and unique lady I am privileged to call my wife.
Thank you Orson!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Link about why OSC uses BoM in his works.

An Open Letter from OSC that touches on this.

Google "orson scott card" homecoming "book of mormon" for more.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muzza
Member # 8676

- posted      Profile for muzza   Email muzza         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for those links! No one else need reply. Excellent stuff!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's really nothing to say that isn't in those links.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.