FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New Reader question.

Author Topic: New Reader question.
meerkat
Member # 8686

- posted      Profile for meerkat   Email meerkat         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

Just finished Enders Game after reading Enders Shadow first. VERY impressed with both books.

Now here comes the dumb question: What to read next? Speaker of the dead or Shadow of the Hegemon.

I'm a little confused on what to read next to keep the intended "flow" consistent.
Much appreciated,
Meerkat

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB Bry
Member # 8309

- posted      Profile for LB Bry   Email LB Bry         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker was written first but SotH is next chronologically. It honestly doesnt matter which you read next, because the story lines are completely different and focus on different characters. I personally would say read Speaker next, but some would disagree with me.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
You could read both. AT THE SAME TIME. No, actually that probably wouldn't be the best idea. If I were you, I'd read Speaker for the Dead first.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meerkat
Member # 8686

- posted      Profile for meerkat   Email meerkat         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info!

Is it basically that one can read any of the "Ender" series in any order and that should not matter? I browsed the OSC web site looking for a table which outlines which books to read in particular order but found none.

This would explain it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The Ender series is actually:

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

And the Shadow Series, a companion series, is:

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for reading Speaker first. After I picked up Ender's Shadow, I wished I had read Ender's Game more recently, so I could notice some of the differences in perception more easily, but it had been many years since I had read Ender's Game. I'd read them in the order they were written: EG, SotD, Xeno, CotM, ES, SotH, SP, SotG. First Meetings is another one I liked, but it could fit nicely almost anywhere after EG, I think.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.