FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The great thing about a book series...

Author Topic: The great thing about a book series...
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well noticing the thread where dropofTapioca mentioned about being nostalgic for the first generation aka Ender's Game it dawned on me the great thing about books when written in a particular order for the same universe.

You can time travel.

You can't change it, yet you keep hoping for a different ending so you reread it over and over, recapturing and in lucky cases learning a deeper understanding of the magic that first captured you.

So, with the ability to travel through time in books, its amazing how we are able to see and hear our favorite characters again and again.

"Let a Hundred Flowers Bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend"- Mao Tse-tung

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
who is Mao Tse-tung? Just curiousness.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Mao Zedong
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time re-reading books. Everytime I want to, a new one catches my eye. Ender's Game I read again when Ender's Shadow came out, but that was about it. I also have a hard time watching movies over again. But thats probably because of my short attention span, and knowing what it going to happen.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Let a Hundred Flowers Bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend"- Mao Tse-tung

He meant this SO MUCH, in fact, that he oversaw the murder and "re-education" of most of the intellectuals in his country. "Contend" is apparently being used to mean "fight and die" in that quote.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* There are a few quotes like that, ones I really wish had been said by other people. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there was a hundred schools of thought permitted, but anything over that had to go.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*blink* How odd. My post was a reply to something OSC said about being glad Mao had said it, even if he had only meant the words as bait, because the sentiment behind it is beautiful enough. That post is now missing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.