FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC in your daily life

Author Topic: OSC in your daily life
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Today for my Urban Arkeo class we got a tour of a grist mill. It still has all of the pieces and levels preserved as well as a bunch of stones. It made me think of little Alvin cutting away at the stone and having it be perfect.

(ps: if there's another thread out there like this, let me know. I'll delete it and switch this over to it. The only one I could find was about his initials)

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep his autograph in my wallet. It's in a protective sleeve.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh...that's...I....

Seeing it written that way, I feel like it's weird and creepy, even though I know it isn't.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
In my wallet I keep a list of all the DVDs we own, so I don't forget we bought one and then buy it again. Before my wife started maintaining a list, there were movies I bought three times. Sometimes all of them as gifts for the same person, during the same Christmas.

As my mind deteriorates, I find I need more helps to substitute for the memory I once had. Thus, I assume pooka simply keeps that autograph in his wallet so he can remember that in fact he did once meet me, and so there is no further need for him to stand in a signing line to get my signature again.

Go for it, Pooka. We'll beat this mad cow thing together!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

What'd you do with the extras?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
I feel like it's weird and creepy, even though I know it isn't
You know no such thing! Though I guess it's not, say, a lock of hair.

Actually, I was one of the five people who had you squeeze our heads communally at the Bountiful signing. You said when you were in Brazil you adopted the native custom of having quite an elaborate signature, but the rigors of signing checks in the supermarket line had broken that resolve. You illustrated on a post-it. Not that I expect you would remember, what with the Mad Cow and all.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my wallet I keep a list of all the DVDs we own, so I don't forget we bought one and then buy it again.
I should do that with tools. I own four stud finders.

And spices. I have four bottles of sage.

I guess four is enough to impress itself on my mind.

(On a related note, I've bough Red Prophet, two Homecoming books, and at least one Ender book simply because I couldn't find my copies and I wanted to read them again. From my seive-like brain to your wallet. [Smile] )

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gosh, I feel so much better now. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 8166

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by OSC:
we bought one and then buy it again.

I have three copies of two different of Alvin books and four copies of The Fugitive. I've also submitted the same work to the same publisher multiple times, which goes over really well.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Do they remember? I mean, that could be a plus. Then again, I'm reminded of Jerry in Conspiracy Theory who was programmed to buy a copy of Catcher in the Rye whenever he got too anxious.
kojabu
Member # 8042

I have two copies of Hart's Hope, one normal paperback size and one large paperback size. It's a compulsion. I'm also going to have to rebuy the third book of the Alvin series because right now it doesn't fit with the other two books' cover design.

*twitch*

pooka
Member # 5003

My brother got me the Narnia series for Christmas, which was totally wonderful of him, but The Magician's Nephew is a storybook sized hardback that was on special and all the others are standard paperbacks. I did make a box to contain the paperbacks.
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tools would be it for me. I have boxes and boxes full of micro-phillips screwdrivers (the kind for glasses) because everytime I need one, I forget that I have one.. I must have a ton of them in drawers all over my house.

As for OSC in my daily life.. well, I hang out here every now and again.. as my wife says, it's a better hobby then me doing numerous other things.. building a library in my house keeps me busier and home more often then most of the other things I could do. Plus, I figure when my kids grow up, they'll have access to the books I grew up on (not just Card, of course.. I am really scouring everywhere for doubleback 1960s scifi; read the paperback one way, one novel; flip the novel over, another novel.. remember those? They divide in the center, etc? I need to stock up on tons of htose)

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

Noises of me throwing up.

And not because of the amount of chocolate soymilk in my stomach right now, no.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the movie thing is a dad related specific amnesia.

My dad rented the same lame Bruce Willis movie four weeks in a row.

He also buys my brother and I DVDs for Christmas that we already have.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

- posted      Profile for Leaf   Email Leaf         Edit/Delete Post 
You should suggest the OSC dvd list in the wallet idea. Seems perfectly relative.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
*passes Compazine to Survivor*

This should help.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to buying cds or dvds for my kids, I have to make them come up with a wish list. either that or I just have to give them gift certificates. But that feels like a gift from a stranger. But how can I guess what they already own? Or what they "would like"?

Survivor, thanks for sharing your nausea with us. Fortunately, on this thread it seems plain that no one will remember you did it.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I have doubles of a lot of books. I think when I was little I trained myself to forget stories, so I could read them again. [Big Grin]
I didn't get taken to the library much but when I did get to go...whooo!
I'd bring home 14 books for two weeks and do nothing but read.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes get duplicate books or CD's. I sell them back on Amazon, which is usually where I bought them. It's cool.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to have to keep a list of my OSC books other favorite authors in the glove box of my car. You can not imagine how many times I have bought the hard copy of Lost Boys. It seems the used bookstore gets a new copy of it every month and I forget I own a copy of it.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

Actually, I don't hate the idea of getting two short books for the price of one longer one...and it isn't like the vertigo of turning a book upside-down would make me throw up ordinarily. I remember actually enjoying a couple of those, now that I think about it.

So I guess it was the soy milk. Curse you, O baneful combination of my weaknesses!

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't keep lists of things I have, but I do make lists of books or CDs I want to buy, so that next time I'm in a store I get them.

I have bought duplicates of a handful of books. Sometimes I return them to Barnes & Noble, who will give me store credit regardless of where I bought it. Sometimes I just throw it on the bookshelf in my classroom and let my kids read 'em.

If you're a chronic list-maker, like I have become, I strongly suggest the use of a PocketPC. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Today I came across a toy none of my children especially likes, but which I like. I thought for a moment of taking a digital picture of it before I gave it to the charity thrift. But it seemed sort of an odd thing to do.
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my wallet I keep a list of all the DVDs we own, so I don't forget we bought one and then buy it again.
In my wallet I still have a list of all the original Nintendo games my brother and I own. I don't much buy them anymore, but he and I collected them together for many years (we have over 160). He was always better than me at keeping track of what we had already acquired, so I kept a list in my wallet, and I find now that I don't want to abandon it. Silly, I guess . . .
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.