FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Review of Velocity

Author Topic: Review of Velocity
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Its always nice to see one of my favorite authors give a positive review of another of my favorite authors. Due to my budget I will have to wait for the paperback, but I am about to begin Life Expectancy.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC didn't review Life Expectancy nearly as well if I remember correctly.

But I enjoyed them both. Koontz is one of my favorite authors as well.

[ October 21, 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Koontz is pretty good. Ever read the "Taking" or maybe it was "taken." Whichever it is my favorite Koontz book.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Lightning, I think, is his best work.

His earlier stuff is visceral, powerful writing. I think he's too successful now, his books don't have the anguish they used to. But they're still good reads.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking was great. Watchers was my favorite until I read Lightning. Lighting's ending surprised me more than any other book. False Memory to me was the scariest though. My favorite thing about Koontz is that he doesn't seem to think his readers are idiots.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePygmalionEffect
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for ThePygmalionEffect   Email ThePygmalionEffect         Edit/Delete Post 
#1) Watchers - great story
#2) Lightning - great characters
#3) Door to December - great concept
#4) House of Thunder - great suspense

Koontz was my favorite writer until I read Ender's Game. Needless to say, he's second now [Smile]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Intensity, amongst many others, but I got sick to death in his more recent books of how he overwrites so much, going on and on about something that could be said in a 10 word sentence and instead taking 10 SENTENCES to say it. It gets in the way of the story. Having said that, I agree wholeheartedly with what OSC had to say about Koontz in the Velocity review, which is why I used to like him so much, and why I keep picking up Koontz's novels in the store and looking to see if he's still doing it.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites are "Watchers" and "One Door Away From Heaven" for Koontz's typical stuff, and I adored "Odd Thomas" because it was a Koontz novel from the standpoint of readability and a message, but told in a very different voice.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big Koontz fan as well. I love "watchers" one of my favorite books every. I've read a good number of his books and was given "Velocity" by my grandmother right after she got it and we both agreed that it was a decent story but not much more. I just wasn't impressed by it that much. Can't really say why I just didn't fall into it as I have with some of his other works. Don't get me wrong, it's not badly written. The story and action are both quick paced and fairly interesting but I just didn't find it to stand out at all. Just my two cents.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.