FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Andrew's Shadow

Author Topic: Andrew's Shadow
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading Shadow Puppets again, and i noticed that John Paul referred to Peter as being in Andrew's shadow. Then I thought about Children of the Mind when Peter's body almost literally becomes "Andrew's Shadow." Was there an intended relationship there or am I just reaching again? (Ender seems to have a very topical shadow)
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archon
Member # 8008

- posted      Profile for archon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right in that regard, because a good deal of the "Ender Saga" or whatever you want to call it... the story that deals directly with Ender, is his struggle of these two sides of his personality that are equally massive: the side to destroy and the side to heal. The shadow being the metaphor of that. ;')
Posts: 50 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
They're just the ideas that came up in the moment. I never have plans like that while writing. If I should ever catch myself with such a plan, I would make sure never to include the "cool idea." I don't write my books to be decoded.

The result is that when you find such parallels, they are completely unconscious and therefore much more real than anything I might have consciously constructed. You're not reaching - you're playing, and that's cool.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.