FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Books, Films, Food and Culture.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Transformation of Beliefs

Author Topic: Transformation of Beliefs
Tim
Member # 8657

- posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim         Edit/Delete Post 
In an alternate thread a very intriguing question came to light. It is my assumption that most people rarely change their beliefs. In my experience I find that people generally hold onto their beliefs with great effort and furthermore when those beliefs are challenged they are held to even more tightly.

However I was informed that here on Hatrack this is not the case. In fact I [was] told that it happens all of the time. So if it's not too personal an issue for you would you please share any transformation of beliefs you may have experienced while here on Hatrack.

What was your original belief? How strongly did you hold onto that belief? What was the cause for the change? That is, what allowed you to finally see something differently. What is your new belief?

[ November 03, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Tim ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Ornery Thread

This is weird Tim. I just started a similar thread on Ornery a couple of days ago. Being closeminded is part of being an adult.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
If you click on the edit icon, you should be able to move this thread over to the other side. You'll get a lot more of a response if you post it there, as opposed to here, where topics are generally "Discussions About Orson Scott Card".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is my assumption that most people rarely change their beliefs. In my experience I find that people generally hold onto their beliefs with great effort and furthermore when those beliefs are challenged they are held to even more tightly
I would agree with this statement.

However, on the other side, many beliefs are shared and discussed. Many times this is because the originator wants to try to better understand his own beliefs or reconcile those beliefs with other observations. In fact, I do think this happens quite often. This doesn't necessarily mean that people completely reverse their beliefs, but they do revise them so that they aren't contradictory to other beliefs.

I don't think that in any way contradicts your statement. In general people don't very often change their beliefs, but there are a number of people that post threads with that very intent. That is why you might see it happen here more often than usual.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Member # 8657

- posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim         Edit/Delete Post 
Kent, that is weird! I'm definitely going to read that thread. Thanks for the link.

Thanks starLisa, I'll try to move it if possible.

[ I don't see anyway to change to the other side, I'll just post the topic there and link to it from here I guess. And by other side I'm guessing this means the Books, Films, Food and Culture forum. ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth starting the thread over on the other side, anyway, and adding a link to it at the bottom here.

You'll get many more responses.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.