FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

Author Topic: Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
SardeMoonflair
Member # 8622

- posted      Profile for SardeMoonflair   Email SardeMoonflair         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did Card get his sources for the information about Bab al Mandab? They're not listed in the back of the book. Or were Kemal's Atlantis theory and Noah theory completely made up? I just started reading this book, and those theories interested me:P
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to read this. And welcome to Hatrack.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SardeMoonflair
Member # 8622

- posted      Profile for SardeMoonflair   Email SardeMoonflair         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, but I suppose I should've been more specific. Is there any geological data that the Red Sea was connected to the Indian Ocean, or that there was a possibility for civilization there, or a historical basis for Noah?

[ November 06, 2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: SardeMoonflair ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll probably have to wait for Pastwatch: The Flood to find out. *smile* OSC reads a disgustingly huge amount of material, so it's not unreasonable that he might have come across such data, but I couldn't tell you with any certainty one way or the other. There weren't any references in the book that has the short story.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one link which suggests there was a land bridge at the straits.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SardeMoonflair
Member # 8622

Thank you both! *smiles*
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose, are you alluding to a sequel or did i miss something big again? sorry if i did, and i knew that if i didn't.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed something big a few years ago when OSC announced he'd be writing a sequel. The short story Atlantis on this site is going to be expanded and made the next Pastwatch book.

It's due out sometime in the next ten years.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Um ... the Red Sea is connected to the Indian Ocean NOW. I consider that evidence.

But I think you meant that they were once separated. That is, once again, a matter that is obvious once you know how far the sea level had fallen during the ice age. You take the depth of the Bab al Mandib and subtract it from the hundreds of feet that sea level had fallen and ... the math leaves you with substantial dry land. No less miraculous than the Bering land bridge or the connection between Gibraltar and Morocco or Calais and Dover.

The remarkable thing about the Red Sea is simply that unlike the black Sea or Mediterranean, it would NOT have filled up anywhere near as fast as the surrounding ocean. there was no glacier melt to refill it. And being a rift valley, the Red Sea has few tributaries that flow into it. So it doesn't take a "source" - just knowledge of the obvious ...

My source, in fact, was Mike Lewis, a professor of physical geography who is also a good friend. I asked him whether the Black Sea or Aegean or the whole Mediterranean might have been the site of a flood after the ice age. He nixed them all, and then HE suggested the Red Sea as the only place on earth where it not only could have happened, it most certainly did.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.