FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » So I just finished reading Posing as People

Author Topic: So I just finished reading Posing as People
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
First off clap hands and sing is simply amazing and by far the easiest and best of the three to put up in my opinion. Then followed by a sepulchure of songs and finally lifeloop. I mean when originally reading the ideas of these plays off the website I assumed lifeloop would be the best - the idea is great, however I don't feel it is executed properly in the dialogue - it is still good, just it has more potential then was given out.

So a couple questions - first off information on royalties: I live in Edmonton Alberta and we have a fringe festival to be rivaled with and I would love to put up one of these plays.

Secondly for anyone who has read these - what are your thoughts? I mean these aren't the most easily accessable plays in the world - I had to order them off of the website just to see them for the first time. I would like to give a congrats to Emily Card who thought of a great idea to stage the last show, the only downside I have so far thought of is a lack of movement in the scenes with the main character - of course there are probally a million ways to get around that just since I JUST read them I haven't thought of too many yet.

Generally just seeing who has read them and what they think.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read them, but I did see them performed. Not only did I think they were wonderful, my SIL -- who has never read anything by OSC, or much SF at all -- really enjoyed them too.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
nice when/where did you see them performed?
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

In Los Angeles. Um . . . about a year ago? I think?

Pop? When was that?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

did you see the original performance then? cause it only went up in 2004.
rivka
Member # 4859

I think so. The last week it was here. Papa Moose will know the date; he was there too.
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

Fringe forms due this week? should I do one of the plays and which one?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
did you try contacting the help desk?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

smart man - im not sure if I have the $$ this year and I was offered an acting role in a musical I think ill wait a year to gather a buget and maybe do clap hands and sing.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.taleswapper.net/theater/posingaspeople/performance.html

Here is where you can get info about performance rights.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
who's a man? [Confused]

btw I'll keep this thread in mind for the next year or so...I'm half-tempted to use one of the pieces for a directing project. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

what really is sadening is that no one else has really bothered to buy these [Frown]
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I will. But right now all my money I have earmarked to go to Uncle Orson is going to gift certificates for IGMS.

He probably likes it better than the year I bought a bunch of copies of Ender's Game for a bunch of my old high school friends and brought them all to Vrooman's for him to sign.

I do hope these gift certificates give him as many new readers as the Ender's Game thing did. (So OSC, if you're reading this, that wasn't a complete waste of your time at the end of a very long day. And thanks.)

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved signing those books, docmagik. I approve of giving my books as gifts.

And thank you for supporting IGMS by giving other people a look at it. I'm enjoying the process and am proud of the work we're publishing - stories, art, columns, and all.

Meanwhile, published plays never sell fast. We're proud of the production, though - including the fact that those who buy the set of Posing as People get the audio performance, too!

And if you want to know how Sepulchre can work with an immobilized lead character: Cast a brilliant actress in the part <grin>. Very quickly, any movement she makes with head and shoulders seems huge, because the rest of her is so still. It creates an amazing sort of intimacy.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.