FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Big Fan!

Author Topic: Big Fan!
Ender12
Member # 8873

- posted      Profile for Ender12   Email Ender12         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, i am a big fan of OSC but i have only just finished reading the ender related books. I havent read any of his other books yet. So, i was wondering which of his books should i read next?
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
syipress
Member # 7569

- posted      Profile for syipress   Email syipress         Edit/Delete Post 
I would reccommend the Worthing Saga, which is basically a compilation of a series of short stories and other novels OSC has written about the universe his character Jason Worthing resides. It is an interesting and rewarding read, check it out.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
syipress
Member # 7569

- posted      Profile for syipress   Email syipress         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I forgot to mention. If you're not sure about the book, check out Hot Sleep on the Intergalactic Medicine Show, OCS's new web magazine. That is what the Worthing Saga was before all the other stories were introduced into the big version.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

thanks! i ordered the alvin maker series, i havent recieved it yet. Is that a good series??
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved Alvin Maker, and almost everything else. My favorite is "Enchantment". It's a modern take on a fairy tale, and of course since it's by OSC the story and characters are complex and wonderful.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Red Prophet was my favorite of the Alvin Maker series. It just knocked my socks off. [Smile]

Definitely one of my top three.

I guess I would recommend the Alvin series next, but you might want to try some of his standalone novels. I kind of like how his stand-alone novels just feel "lighter" to me, if that makes any sense. This is not a knock on the series. I am always happy to have more in a given universe, and gobble up whatever I can get. But with the big series, there is this pressure--perhaps only in my mind--where the story arc is so grand, and the payoff needs to be so large to justify the three or four or six books or whatever. In his standalone books, I feel--and again, I hope I am not off-base or out of line here--that Card can play around and experiment more. Write a horror novel. Write a romantic fantasy. Or a contemporary urban fantasy with a black protagonist. [Smile] I imagine that the series do more to pay the bills, since they have a built-in market. And that's cool.

But you might want to check out Hart's Hope, Songmaster, Treason, or Wyrms.

[Smile]

Welcome, by the way. I hope you enjoy it here. I sure have. [Wave]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
OSCs stand-alone novels are my favorite. Treason is AWESOME.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment was wonderful. *mentally goes through the shelf on the library where OSC is located*. The Worthing Saga was wonderful also. oh! And Pastwatch. At first I didn't like that one but I ended up absolutely loving it. And all his series (whats the plural for series?) are really good, though in my opinion the ones in Enderverse are the best. So yeah, basically if you see his name on it, read it.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Jenna on Enchantment and the Alvin Maker series...loved them both. I also really enjoyed Pastwatch (isn't that the one about Columbus?)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Pastwatch is probably my favorite of Card's stand-alone novels.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend reading both the Worthing Saga and Hot Sleep. Hot Sleep is being published in the current issue of intergalactic medicine show, and it is worth the price of the issue (the other stories are also excellent).

Pastwatch is another good book, as are the Alvin Maker books. Also, have you read First Meetings in the Enderverse? It is a collection of short stories relating to the Ender books.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebean
Member # 8700

- posted      Profile for littlebean   Email littlebean         Edit/Delete Post 
No one ever mentions the homecoming series. i really enjoyed it.

i pretty much have loved every book that i've read by osc but i was disappointed with treasure box. [Frown]

treason and pastwatch are amazing, so are the alivin series, wyrms, ... so many more

i love his short stories too.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
look "Ender12" all these fools will try to push you in a multitude of directions to cater favor with ye olde' OSC. Read Worthing, and get into the Shadow series.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

i have read all the ender books, and at the moment i am on the last of the shadow series. loved them all. i bought the alvin maker books so those will be next. i think i will eventually read all of his books because he is my favorite author along with stephen king. what i would like to know is does he have anything out there that isnt listed in the OSC library that is worth reading.
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
The Worthing Saga. Definitely.
He has such important things to say all through that one.

Wyrms is one of my favorites,

and Treasure Box, I think, doesn't get spoken about NEARLY enough. It's a great story, and a breeze to read. One minute you're on page three, the next, you dont realize it, but youre on page 96 and have no hope of putting it down until youve finished it.
[Smile]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebean
Member # 8700

- posted      Profile for littlebean   Email littlebean         Edit/Delete Post 
Treasure Box doesn't get spoken about b/c its not worth speaking about in comparison to all other OSC books. This was the only book that I didn't really like.

Every other book so far has been amazing.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebean
Member # 8700

Oh and The Worthing Saga, I agree, is a must read.
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
I concur (.. is that how you spell that? It looks so weird) with the Worthing Saga comments. A really good book.

[ December 04, 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Sm34rZ ]

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
err ... I hate to say anything at all bad about anything OSC has written, but I have to concur about Treasure Box. It was a breeze to read, which was perhaps why I was let down. Seemed almost shallow. It didn't make me think really at all, and that's what I love about OSC. Read it if you want, but I would recommend Worthing Saga and Enchantment above Treasure Box.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Worst story by Card ever published: Happy Head. I was young. I hadn't learned yet to recognize when a story was ready to write.

Earliest poem by Card that Card can still recite from memory: The Earthworm

The earthworm is a little odd
It hath hermaphroditic bod
And in its millimetric girth
It crawleth far beneath the earth
And 'gageth in its menial toil
Amid the grimy, muddy soil.

The earthworm doesn't know it's wed
To Marybelle instead of Fred
But all of this is idle chatter
To earthworms things like this don't matter
For the earthworm doing what it oughter
Is half a son and half a daughter.

(If I could tack two more lines on it
This silly poem would be a sonnet.)

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to say that I couldn't get into the Homecoming series. I read the first book, and didn't really enjoy it. I don't know why. I reckon I'm just not in the right audience for it. Also, trying to remember how everyone's name is pronounced when nobody's name is pronounced as spelled is kind of distracting.

All his other books that I've read, I loved. I wholeheartedly second the suggestions for Enchantment (beautiful), The Worthing Saga (haunting, and moving, and wise), and the Alvin Maker series (just all around fascinating, and amusing, and touching, and cool).

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed Treasure Box. I don't care if it wasn't as good by some objective criterion -- I loved it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cool things about Card's work is that there is such a variety of subjects to read.

For relationships with a supernatural/mystery spin, I really enjoyed Lost Boys and Homebody.

For Sci-Fi, of course the Ender and Shadow series.

For history, Pastwatch and the Alvin series.

I've only mentioned a couple in each category and missed some categories all together. What I like is that the books are all well researched, and creative so, in Homebody for instance, you learn a little about carpentry and alot about interpersonal relationships and growth. These elements are just a bonus to a really great mystery.

One of my favorites is Wyrms and I don't know quite where to think about it. It is intensely religious, yet completely sci-fi and showcases personal growth on a scale with Ender.

Good stuff. Tough to classify, but always classy.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.