FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Thank You OSC

Author Topic: Thank You OSC
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been a literate person, but from grade school to college, reading was forced on me (in those 12 + years I cab recall enjoying two books: James and the Giant Peach [first "chapter" book I ever read] and Catch-22. When I left school I was only too happy to leave reading behind. But four or five years ago I was bored at my girlfriend's house and picked up Ender's Game to occupy myself before dinner. I couldnt put it down. Ever since then I have devoured your writing, and when in need of a "fix" I've even given other inferior authors a chance to entertain me. Since I've been choosing my own books I've found maybe TWO I DIDN'T like! Now I'm a total bibliophile and it wouldnt have been possible without your writing. Let me also thank you for making a lier out of me (again and again). When I "finished" the Enderverse (I was of coarse depressed it was over) I decided to try some of your other series. The Homecoming series was first, and I can remember thinking, "There is no way this series will be able to measure up to the Ender series" but I would give it a try and lo and behold ANOTHER! wonderful series. Same story with the Alvin Maker series, what a wonderful surprise, you're such a good writer, you transcend that which you are writing about.

So, thank you again. Now I truly love to read instead of being "good" and loathing it. I read a few books a month now and have quite a collection going. but the spot of honor in my library is reserved for you.

Thanks again.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You are too nice. Thanks for setting aside that "decision" to leave reading behind. But let's face it - most of us are trained by our schooling to loathe reading, because of the stuff they have us read, and the method of reading they force on us. When we read for our own pleasure, it's hardly a surprise that it's a completely different experience. Thanks for including some of my books among those you now enjoy.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
At he considerable risk of sounding like a brown noser let me thank you also for this site and the level of interaction you have with your readers (before I registered I probably would have said fans, but its apparent now that not everyone on here is a fan).

PS do you still get time to do signings out in Boone &/or Asheville?

I could use a good excuse to go see some friends.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool. [Hat] MrMojo
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.