FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Formics?

Author Topic: Formics?
EvaXephon
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for EvaXephon   Email EvaXephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I read on Wikipedia that the buggers are formally known as "Formics," and the name 'bugger' is only a pejorative term. This makes sense, because the Latin word for ant is "Formica" and the buggers are much like ants, but I just read Ender's Game and I don't recall the buggers ever being called Formics.

Could someone please tell me when in Ender's Game or another book in the Ender series that the buggers are called Formics?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that they are call formics in just about all the other books, maybe not Ender's Shadow.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They were retconned into "formics" due to some negative connotations, IIRC, and some movies that came out a while back involving space battles against bugs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
They are called Formics at least in the beginning of Enders Shadow, when its on Earth with Sister Carlotta. If nothing else I remember the soup kitchen lady calling them Formics, though I dont' have my copy right here, so I could be wrong.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_a_Potato_Sack
Member # 8889

- posted      Profile for Son_of_a_Potato_Sack   Email Son_of_a_Potato_Sack         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that they changed the name from "buggers" to "Formics" after the Speaker of the Dead published "The Hive Queen."

Isn't that what he called them? Didn't they change it because it was more politcally correct?

Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Retconned. "Buggers" was used all through the Speaker Trilogy.

The word came to have a more unsavory connotation (not sure what) since the Speaker Trilogy. So Formics is the new politially correct Bugger.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As I've heard OSC explain it, there were at least three reasons. The ones I've heard him use are as follows:

1) "Bugger" is a curse word in many English dialects.
2) Starship Troopers made the idea of battles against giant bugs seem unoriginal to studios for a while.
3) It's hard to imagine everyone on Earth, even the serious scientists and politicians, using a term that sounds like children's slang.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in Britain (and presumably other nations as well), "bugger" refers first and foremost to sodomy. I can see where that would cause problems in international editions.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
bugger that
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
[sidenote on use of "bugger"- apparently in the UK Buffy the Vampire Slayer was wayyy more popular because of all the swearing Spike does (bugger, bloody, etc) that is just not as deliciously naughty in the U.S.]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
It causes much problems in international edition, 'cause in polish "bugger" is very nasty, but it has no other uses, it's no curse, no insult and only make it seems as if the book was very stupid while you read th book cover.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.