FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSCIGMS Gift Subscriptions

Author Topic: OSCIGMS Gift Subscriptions
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm enjoying the Intergalactic Medicine Show and want to give subscriptions to some of my friends at Christmas... is there any easy way to do that?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
They should be adding that option soon; if it's not up yet look for it in the coming weeks.

I emailed about this about a month ago and was told they're working on it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gift Subscriptions are available as of today [Smile]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they *subscriptions* meaning you can subscribe for like, a year --

or is it still the one issue at a time thing?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

Oops, it's still the one issue at a time thing. We try not to use the word "subscriptions." They are "Gift Certificates."
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. [Smile]
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
We're going to try to set it up so you can give gift issues to multiple recipients without filling out the whole form and making a separate purchase for each one. Still only one issue for each person ... for now, that just feels safer. I am committed to four issues, but I don't want to be stuck with a subscription obligation if we discover that the public interest just isn't there.

After teaching out of the print magazines for a semester, I was further impressed with the great need for a storytelling-centered magazine like IGMS. So I hope it DOES succeed.

And one of the best ways would be for people to help us find readers. It's a challenge - how do you advertise a webzine? But ... don't you think that giving a gift issue to everybody you know is a remarkably cheap way of giving gifts this holiday season? <grin> In fact, it's not THAT much more expensive than Christmas cards!

I think when people read our fiction, they'll want more ... and I think our art, audio, and comics alone would be worth the $2.50! So ... gift issues will help us reach a widening audience!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if someone who already bought the issue receives a gift certificate? Can they use it on a later issue instead?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

The person receiving the certificate can choose which issue to purchase. So, yes they can use it on a later issue.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good. I'll be getting certificates for my brothers, then.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious as to how the magazine is doing at this point. How many subscriptions? Have you broke even yet?
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
The certificates are a good way to one-up siblings or friends, its like, whoa, X got me this wild sweater AND a cool subscription! I used to use candy to do this but OSCIGMS might be a healthier way to go...
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
It's coming up on Christmas, so it would be good to have something appropriate for a present. A year of IGMS would be about right. ($2.50 says "party favor," not "present," to me.) I think making the call, "we'll be doing it for a year," and pushing this as a nice cheap gift, might be good for sales.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.