FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What font are books published in?

Author Topic: What font are books published in?
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know? If you know more then one, please note so. Thank you!
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Try looking at the last page of a couple books. hardbacks are more likely to include this information than paperbacks, but the font used is sometimes listed there. For example, all the Harry Potter hardcovers list the font.

Often books have similar looking fonts, but they are not always the same one. Compare pages next to each other from several different books and you'll see what I mean. I think Times New Roman is fairly common, though.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no standard font for book publishing. It pretty much just depends on what the typesetter wants to use.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Just avoid silly cursive fonts that are hard to read and you'll be fine Reticulum.

Most publishers use fonts with Serifs, rather than Sans Serifs fonts. Serifs are the little embellishments on the end of each curve of the letters. Times New Roman is the classic example of a Serif font, while Helvetica or Arial are Sans Serif fonts.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nav
Member # 8812

- posted      Profile for Nav   Email Nav         Edit/Delete Post 
Different books will have different fonts. The most common I see are usually Book Antiqua, Bookman Old Style, Garamond, Palatino, and sometimes Times New Roman.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.