FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » homecoming series

Author Topic: homecoming series
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after putting off reading this series for years simply because I didnt like the covers of the book ...(I thought they looked a bit to sci-fi for my tastes where I prefer fantasy)... I have begun reading the series and I am hooked. I should have known better because I seem to like just about everything that OSC has written.
I am currently half way through SHIPS OF EARTH and am am frustrated that I cant read it quicker due to the Lasik eye surgury I just had redone...
I guess my point is that if you are looking for a great series and havnt read this one, HOMECOMING is right up there with ENDER, SHADOW, and MAKER. I can't wait to read the rest of it.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Homecoming is a really great series, and I keep plugging for this everytime I can...
The Memory of Earth is begging to be made into a movie!

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
Mem of Earth was the first OSC book I read, picked up somewhat at random from the bookstore. I found the next two at the library--actually, the first three books collected in one volume, but for a long time didn't see the 4th or 5th. Man, I was excited when I realized there was more to the story!
Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha hwa Mem of Earth is being made into a movie? Awesome! any info about it? or kinda like the "in 6 years" about Enders Game? It is a wonderful series - I almost wish for more, but it ended on a note that you couldn't quiiiite continue but you kinda still want it to heh.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
DarkKnight said it's begging to be made into a movie. I don't think it actually is. Sorry that your hopes got up [Smile] .
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
No chance, unless EG is made and is a monster hit. Memory of Earth does NOT break into neatly filmable chunks the way, say, Alvin Maker does. It's one VERY long story ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
No chance, unless EG is made and is a monster hit. Memory of Earth does NOT break into neatly filmable chunks the way, say, Alvin Maker does. It's one VERY long story ...

And a durn good'un too!
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm reading the series right now! Thanks a lot, OSC, for making me stay up until 2 am on a very regular basis. Don't you know I have work in the morning?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I feel your pain, afr.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebean
Member # 8700

- posted      Profile for littlebean   Email littlebean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad someone else has become aware of how great this series is. No one seems to mention them in any forums about favourite OSC books. I love this series. It was the second one I read after the Ender series. Enjoy.

I need to read them again. [Smile]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Although at points I thought this series was so bad as to put me off OSC for good, I'm now on page 150 or so of Earthborn and can say that overall the series is pretty good. Just the whole concept of humanity surviving for 40 million years on another planet with 40 million years of history is neat, and the story only gets more surprising as you go on. And as always the characters are great, though I wish I didn't feel embarrassed for the things they say as often as I do. (Some of these things were what put me off OSC for weeks or months at a time; maybe it was the characters themselves that did that.)

I agree that the series would be too long for a movie and that no individual book is self-contained enough for one. The series really would need a season-long TV miniseries.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I should be concerned that my books are talking to me.
I will have to start reading the Alvin Maker series, maybe they could drown out the Homecoming series and their endless prattle

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
DK: [No No]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

I was just joking....

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.