FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » genealogy: just discovered I am related to Orson Scott Card

Author Topic: genealogy: just discovered I am related to Orson Scott Card
Desiree
Member # 8939

- posted      Profile for Desiree   Email Desiree         Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of Orson Scott Card before today. I tend to only read non-fiction books especially history books. I was talking to a friend today about the Book of Mormon (she has never read it and is not LDS) And as I expliained the book to her she lit up and told me how it reminded her of one of her favorite books, "The Memory of Earth" and told me of the author. I went to the website to learn a little more about the book and read about the author. I wanted to find out if Orson Scott Card was LDS since the story line of his book mirrored the Book of Mormon's events so closely (I told her he just HAD to be LDS based on what she told me about the book) I called B Dalton Book store and order myself a copy of "The Memory of Earth" ...

I just discovered that I am distantly related to Orson Scott Card! Get this, his grandmother Zina Young Card was a daughter of Brigham Young (who is my 6th generation great uncle.) Mary Young was Brigham Young's sister (who is my 6X great grandmother) which makes that Zina Young's aunt and Orson Scott's great, great aunt. so that makes Orson Scott Card my 6th cousin! coolio! Isn't genealogy and family history a cool thing? My dad's side of the family (descendants of the Youngs) are from Utah which is also where Orson Scott Card grew up. Too cool.

Glad to have been introduced to Orson Scott Card's books. I am sure I will enjoy them.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
... are you absolutely sure? It seems kinda far fetched, is OSC related to Brigham Young?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desiree
Member # 8939

Look at the Bio: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/about-more.shtml

here is a copy n paste from the website:

"Born in Richland, Washington, in 1951, he was named "Orson" for his grandfather, Orson Rega Card, who was a son of Charles Ora Card, the founder of the Mormon colony in Cardston, Canada, and Zina Young Card, a daughter of Brigham Young. Orson Rega's childhood was spent in a pioneer household with American Indians as frequent visitors, and the family credits Blackfoot neighbors with saving his life as a baby"

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
And yes, The Memory of Earth (and the rest of the Homecoming Series)is, unapologetically and essentially, a science fiction 're-telling' of the basic Book of Mormon story.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to hatrack, Desiree! Just curious, what does your name mean?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desiree
Member # 8939

Desiree (My middle name) means "desired"
my first name, Gina means "a little bird" LOL

Ya know I always thought the stories in the Book of Morman were so awesome that they'd make great movies and books. I can hardly put it doen when I read it! Glad to know someone has found a creative way to recreate history and re-tell it in an inventive way. I am looking forward to reading "the memory of earth" and more books from the series.

Desiree
Member # 8939

oops, typos:
doen = down

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
You can edit your message by clicking the pencil and paper icon right above it, you don't need to make a new thread to point out a typo. Just make sure you don't tick the "Delete Post check box". It's been known to happen by accident on more than one occasion here on hatrack.

Yeah when I first read the BoM, only last year, I chose to read it more as a story so I could get through it quicker and just have the messages and revelations in it seep into my mind subconsciously. That worked though, because now I know the names of the prophets better than anyone else in my age at the ward. And I still love reading it. I understand what you mean by hardly being able to put it down.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems kinda far fetched, is OSC related to Brigham Young?
Utah was originally settled by a very small number of individuals, many of whom practiced multiple marriages. A surprisingly huge percentage of "old-school" Mormons, therefore, are related to each other no farther than four generations back.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A surprisingly huge percentage of "old-school" Mormons, therefore, are related to each other no farther than four generations back.
I'm assuming by 'old-school' you mean Mormons whose ancestors to the nth-generation were Mormons as well. As opposed to meaning 'old-school' in a doctrinal or stylistic sense.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm unaware of a meaning for "old-school" that could be applied to doctrine, and I hesitate to suggest that any stylistic generalizations can be made, so yeah. [Smile] Heck, Mormon or not, a surprising percentage of the populations of Utah and Idaho are related to each other.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
6th cousins? Dude, someone totally owes you a bundle of christmas presents.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A surprisingly huge percentage of "old-school" Mormons, therefore, are related to each other no farther than four generations back.
Yup. I'm related to both OSC and Desiree as well.

Another reason why so many of us are related is that we keep track of our family history enought to be aware that we are related. For instance, Beverly and I are 9th cousins, twice removed. You have to go back to the early 1700s to find our common ancestor -- John Porter. Most people just aren't that aware of their ancestors.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
You know my aunt had something like this happen. Only it didn't involve a big list of ancestry or anything. She isn't LDS.

This particular instance made me happy I'm not related to her side of the family because, apparently, our present president, Mr. George W. Bush, is a relative. A seventh cousin or some such nonsense.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting question:
On average, how many generations back do you think one would have to look to find a common ancestor for ANY randomly selected pair of humans? I suspect that the number would be surprisingly low.

anyway, this in no way diminishes the coolness of being related to OSC, Desiree. It may not be worth much financially, but it's certainly a source of bragging rights!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On average, how many generations back do you think one would have to look to find a common ancestor for ANY randomly selected pair of humans?
I seem to remember seeing a documentary on television about that very topic. They were trying to figure out how far back you'd have to go to find an individual who was ancestral to all living humans. I wish I could remember how far back they said it was.

I do remember they were saying that a surprisingly large percentage of Mongolians were actually related to Genghis Khan. He was a powerful guy, and his genes were successful, apparently.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the exact number, but in a surprisingly small number of generations back, EVERYBODY is related. Obviously, long separations of certain populations isolate them - but the isolation is over, and now we're all cousins, somehow. For most populations of the world, I think it's as recent as the 10th century, something like that; and for people in relatively homogeneous populations (i.e., "fourth-generation American" "European" "Chinese") it's much, much closer than that.

As for me: I'm actually descended from many prominent Mormons (as most of us "lifers" are - "lifer" as opposed to "convert"): Brigham Young, of course, and Charles Ora Card, but also Willard Richards and his son and grandson who were presidents of the Quorum of the Twelve, Franklin D. Richards (the original FDR) and George F. Richards. Also a schoolteacher who taught Butch Cassidy (who grew up Mormon, by the way), Richard Stephen Horne.

But I'm American, too, of course, and so I'm also descended from John Alden and Priscilla Mullins, as well as several other Mayflower passengers. But that's not really a shock - most Mormon lifers are, since the roots of the Church are really in New England stock - New Englanders who were emigrating out of that poor-soil, overfarmed area into the new western lands early in the 19th century.

But I'm descended from NO Civil War participants ... for the obvious reason that the Mormons had already left the U.S. before the CW started <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article about that once, and in populations where there's a reasonable amount of inter-marrying (for example, most countries), practically everybody is descended from practically everybody else in just 200 or 300 years.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for interesting SF on Genetics and Genetic relation RAH's Time Enough for Love
Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

There was a fairly fascinating Discover article on genetic markers and Ghengis Khan not too long ago; apparently something like 10% of the population of Central Asia is descended from the same man as recently as eight hundred years ago.
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that just about everyone of European descent is a direct descendant of Charlemagne (as well pretty much any other person around in A.D. 800 whose line is still around).
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Irregardless thats pretty bold. Could you cite it?

It holds large implications

1) Charlemagne had a large batch of children
2) That when his line lost they position in power
they more than willingly interbreed with
Slavs, Angles, Saxons, Moors, Etruscans etc
3) The powerful of the time put forth enough
bastards to keep their genetic material into
all of Europe. (this is pretty well known)

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I come from a long line of peasants. Heck my maternal grandfather's job as a kid was to walk a German princess' dog.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, here are a couple (of many) webpages that discuss the issue:

http://www.oz.net/~lee/Genealogy/charlemagne.html

http://itotd.com/articles/226/

Supposedly Mohammed & Confucius are somewhere in our bloodlines, too...

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Matt Lust -- it doesn't imply that at all if the article that I mentioned earlier is correct, and all europeans are descended from pretty much everybody that was alive back then (and had descendents).
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
a LARGE number of mormons are descedents one way or another of Brigham Young, nothing "special" there.

"I can't remember the exact number, but in a surprisingly small number of generations back, EVERYBODY is related. Obviously, long separations of certain populations isolate them - but the isolation is over, and now we're all cousins, somehow. For most populations of the world, I think it's as recent as the 10th century, something like that; and for people in relatively homogeneous populations (i.e., "fourth-generation American" "European" "Chinese") it's much, much closer than that."

I think you are referring to a study done on Mitochondrial DNA in which researchers found, based on a large number of samples from around the world, about 40,000 years ago (before Christ anyway) there was a severe population drop to as few as 10,000 "humans" and as such we are all much much closer relatives than the researchers would have ever supposed.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a LARGE number of mormons are descedents one way or another of Brigham Young, nothing "special" there.
Well, poo on you, Mr Fact thruster [Razz]

Maybe that LARGE number of mormons are ALL special. Ever think of that? Huh?

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're looking for interesting SF . . . RAH's Time Enough for Love
::chokes::

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really thought about that but it makes sense that New England is where the original stock of Mormonism is from. My own ancestor a certain William Bradford (I am directly descended from him) came over on the mayflower. I believe you were all recently devouring obscene amounts of food courtesy of the holiday he created while governor of Plymouth colony [Smile]

So I guess none of my ancestors were involved in the civil war either. I don't know whether I should be sad that my ancestors didn't "Preserve the union" so to speak, or happy that none of them had to deal with the hell that was the civil war. Well enough out of me, I am going to watch a war movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irregardless:
I've read that just about everyone of European descent is a direct descendant of Charlemagne (as well pretty much any other person around in A.D. 800 whose line is still around).

I know that my Grandparents have been able to trace a few of their lines back to Charlemagne. However, on my mother's side I have a great grandmother who was gypsy (before being sold off as a wife), so the line there pretty much vanishes.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by foundling:
quote:
Well, poo on you, Mr Fact thruster [Razz]

Maybe that LARGE number of mormons are ALL special. Ever think of that? Huh?

sure in that EVERY one of us is special, so are these descendants of B.Y.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, everybody's special ... and all our children are above average ...

The mitochondrial study is not the one we're basing this on. It's much more recent degrees of genetic drift, partly, and partly it's just sensible mathematics.

It doesn't mean Charlemagne had a large number of descendants. Except for the relatively few lines that die out, having no children of male or female line, EVERYBODY from Charlemagne's time is the ancestor of EVERY European.

The remarkable thing about one study was the idea that all it takes is a single cross-connection before the point of complete intermingling to tie completely separate populations together into the same web of ancestry. ONE American Indian having a baby from ONE European conqueror, whose baby then joins the intermarriabe web, gives all of the population the baby takes part in a shared ancestry with the intruder population (in both directions; intruder being a neutral word in this context). No race remains pure. 800 years or so for complete intermingling is what sticks in my mind. But ... going from memory isn't all that reliable. It might have been 1200, or it might have been only three hundred or so ... I couldn't argue for or against any number.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

My Japanese sister-in-law was shocked to discover that because of these things, she almost certainly has Portugese and Dutch ancestry, and is therefore descended from Charlemagne as well.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I read somewhere that DNA science had shown that there is actually only 1 male and 1 female line left in humans, that all the others died out.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm descended from John Taylor, but through a different line descended from Alden/Muellins. So howdy, 'cuz. I've actually been studying with some Jehovah's witnesses for almost 2 years now because they are also descended from John Taylor. The funny thing is they are biracial also, but they are half Japanese and I am half Chinese.

I believe researchers have said that all humans have 1 common ancestor who is female, and 1 who is male. I don't know why this is suprising, though, since I severly doubt there could have been more than one speciation event. I'm familiar with the corral reef type genograph, but it doesn't explain how chromosome level speciation occurs.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sad that families don't keep better track of their family history. I know a lot of the history on my mother's side of the family because of my aunt, who spends a lot of time researching it. But I know almost nothing of my father's side, except that he swears we are directly descendend from Garret Hobart, who was the Vice President to McKinley.

When I'm older I want to trace both my family lines back to the year 1500, though that will be hard, as my mother's side of the family didn't come to Quebec until 1650, and not to America until 1900. I'd have to go to France to get any records from further back. And I don't even know where my father's side is from, England I think.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.