FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's come back!

Author Topic: Ender's come back!
arimarfue
Member # 8920

- posted      Profile for arimarfue   Email arimarfue         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott card’s new info about another Ender’s book changes everything. When Ender becomes Speaker for the Death, he no longer called himself Ender; he becomes Andrew. It has always bother me the way in witch Ender losses his identity, in speaker. Xenocide and children of the mind. I did loved those books; but I think they stand alone, I do not see them as the continuance to Ender. The Shadow books also stand alone, they make reference to Ender but Ender is not part of them. Up to this point Ender’s Game, has been the only book about Ender.

I had always wanted for ender to come back, Ender is what started everything!!!!!!!!!!

ps. The book should be called 'The End of Ender'.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Having "Ender" in the title sells better than Andrew. Just to say.

[ December 16, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew was always his real name, Ender is just his nickname cuz Valentine could never pronounce "Andrew", kids say the darndest things.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It has always bother me the way in witch Ender losses his identity, in speaker.

That's funny. I've always thought of Speaker for the Dead as the book in which Ender finds his identity.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom-

Same. I'm re-listening to the audiobooks right now. I've always found SftD to be the most "beautiful" and meaningful of Card's books to me [Wink]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Tom.

But just as some youngest children are always "our baby" to their parents, there are readers who liked Ender better as a child and don't want to know him in his adulthood ... or at least don't like him as much.

This is actually autobiographical. I was an unbelievably cute and precocious and sweet-natured three-year-old. I still can't reconcile myself to the way people don't treat me as if I still had those virtues <grin>.

That was an ironic joke, by the way. I'm perfectly aware that I'm still unbelievably cute.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm speechless.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved SftD the most, honestly. I like the latter Ender books. But I like them more for Miro and Jane and Valentine. Ender seemed to grow impotent in his old age.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
You're like one big teddy bear, OSC. A big teddy bear that dreams about kids in space that blow up alien species and then go crazy over it. So cute [Wink]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't they have teddy bears like that at Toys R Us anymore?
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind, arimarfue, that "Ender" was first Andrew Wiggin's name for himself because of his family-that's what Valentine called him too, I think. But when he went to Battle School, well, the government changed things. And I'm talkin' like teams of contractors and subcontractors and wrecking balls and steamrollers sorta change.

In fact you'll see it right in the beginning of almost every chapter, how they're deliberately twisting his identity and personality. It's kinda like Homebody, really. There's a boy who's brilliant and able to empathize and think like his enemies, and he's got a lot of other attributes besides. But they don't want those other attributes so much, so they either strip them away or whittle them down or in some cases build them up.

Just like the house in Homebody though, Ender retains the strength of character and mind that made him so appealing to the government at first, despite what they twisted it to become. The house retained its strength and will, despite what its later owners twisted it into.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Can teddy bears write things like Kingsmeat and that funny named story about suction-cup fingered babies?... Don't get me wrong, I find much truth in the stories, but... [Angst] [Wink]
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.