FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » homecoming.

Author Topic: homecoming.
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
did anyone else have trouble with the last book? After flying through the first 4, Im having serious difficulty getting into the last book... part of it is my schedule, and i think part of it is that i miss all of the characters that I became familiar with. I guess i just want to know if anyone else had this problem and if i should force myself into getting into the book.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite a bit of a shock to go from 4 books with the same main characters, to a whole new set of characters in a whole new world. It's almost like you have to take yourself out of the "series" mindset and look at it as another work. But I do remember it being good, once I got into it.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem, dab. It certainly was different, and I didn't slip into the plot as easily, what with the almost entirely new cast of characters and all of the new traditions the cultures had developed. It's a pretty good read, but I prefer the previous books, especially Memory and Ships, to the last one.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler, if not i will edit, but i don't want to take any chances

For me, the shock of the almost entirely new characters was short lived. With the constant themes and style, i found Earthborn to follow the earlier novels very well. Once you get into it i think you will be excited, as i was, by the creative ways that previous characters are brought in, some subtly, some not.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.