FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Bean (Nickolai's Brother)

Author Topic: Bean (Nickolai's Brother)
Subhuman
Member # 9052

- posted      Profile for Subhuman   Email Subhuman         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I kinda freestyled this but whatevs. What are your thoughts on this freak of nature?
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What are YOUR thoughts?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the question is vague enough.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Subhuman
Member # 9052

- posted      Profile for Subhuman   Email Subhuman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Bean is an interesting character that I can relate to personally save for the photographic memory. I can relate because of his problems with understanding why people do good deeds etc... Bean's philosophy was everybody does something for a reason that is selfish or along those lines, and if they don't they are crazy. I personally have that problem and do things generally for a selfish reason. Its the way I am. Whenever I do "good" deeds for someone for no reason usually its because of empathy. I think, "I've been through this too, I know how you feel." Whatever back to topic. Bean was born a prodigy just like all the other battle school students. I know he isn't the only prodigy but he was the most amazing besides Ender. And so I can relate to him there because I was atleast a prodigy with drawing realistically at age 5. It was weird because I never "learned" how to draw, I already knew what to do when I first drew. But I gave that up, whatevs. Bean picked stuff up like that naturally too. I could relate to his looking up studies on morals, I did too. When I read a book about the horrors of the Japanese rape of Nanking. I was wondering why so many Japanese did stuff like that to the Chinese. Why otherwise normal people when put into a situation with absolute power with no consequences do such atrocities--all the time. It took me like 2 weeks or so to recover from my obsession with finding an answer that had a selfish reason to be good in it. I ended up finding it though it was along time ago and I forgot. Other than that his thinking about situations was interesting, his rigorous self-analysis was something I can really relate to. Plus I had been interested in savantism, and he was a savant. So mostly I feel I can relate to him, and always wanted to be the best I could be, I always wanted to be great, and Bean is great.

P.S. I know my writing style is ADDed out...

[ January 29, 2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Subhuman ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.