FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » SVU

Author Topic: SVU
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seriously considering travelling to South Virginia in the second half of this year. fact is I hate public education. So the combination of being taught English (or Theatre Studies?) by OSC coupled with attending a Latter-day Saint private school would make for some serious ultimateness in my book.

But I don't know many details and I need you guyses help. What are "Credits"? What is the minimum age requirement (I'll be 17) to attend US Universities? Is there a full course by OSC that starts no sooner than mid-July and ends before Christmas? Do I need a Temple Recommend to attend? I might be getting my hopes up but I'm choosing to assume SVU is like the Community Colleges (plus the LDS bit) we have here in Australia.

No doubt some (most?) of these questions can only be answered by OSC, but anyone who can answer any of them would be much appreciated. It's alright if no-one replies (In which case I obviously won't be going).

Thanks for your time.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the Southern Virginia University website for admissions info: www.southernvirginia.edu

There is no minimum age for US universities. Usually it's required to be a high school graduate and to have taken the SAT or ACT. But foreign students might be a different story. Check out the admissions page.

You do not need a temple recommend. You just have to agree to the honor code.

OSC will be teaching only one class in the fall semester of 2006 (Sept. - Dec.) It is a playwriting class -- team-teaching with Robert Stoddard who is the chairman of the theatre department and OSC collaborator on several musicals.

In the Winter semester of 2007 (Jan - April) he will be teaching writing and literature.

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help. I probably won't qualify for anything this year though. Since the most interesting class to me is by far Boot Camp, and I won't be around in June this year, I'll be looking to do it next year when I'll be in nearby Europe anyway.

This may sound strange coming from a (almost) 17 year old, but does SVU let married couples share rooms?

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
does SVU let married couples share rooms?
I don't know SVU's policy on this, but as an American married guy, I would NOT want to share bedrooms with another married couple. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to get me to share kitchens with another couple.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Of COURSE married people share apartments! It's only unmarried couples who don't get to. Married couples are definately encouraged at SVU [Smile]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I will be co-teaching (with Robert Stoddard) a playwriting class this fall semester (Sep.-Dec.) as SVU, but that's the only course. I'll be teaching a heavier load in the winter (called "spring" by the madmen who name semesters) and May (called "summer term" at SVU). But that seems to be the opposite of the schedule you were looking for.

My next fiction writing courses at SVU won't be until fall of 2007. I decided that to offer the same courses EVERY year would (a) burn me out and (b) prevent me from teaching an interesting variety of course and (c) soon run out of students who were really interested in and serious about writing.

So I'll be teaching fiction writing every other year; or maybe teach the commercial fiction course once a year and the novel course every other year.

Meanwhile, boot camp continues! And Uncle Orson's Writing Class, which is essentially the same first two days as boot camp, is a lot shorter, a lot cheaper, and anybody who wants to can take it. It's kind of sad how little time it takes for me to tell people everything I know about writing fiction.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.