FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » About the Hatrack Logo...

Author Topic: About the Hatrack Logo...
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
StarLisa told me I'd have a better chance of finding information about it here. This is, my mom likes it and I'd like to get her a lithograph of it for her birthday.

So, basically...
quote:
I'm talking about the Hatrack River illustration. Every time she sees it, she's like, "Que bonito cuadro!" (What a pretty picture), and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get one of those for her birthday present. Does anyone know if I can get a lithograph of that that I can frame and give to her?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that is something not available. Any use of the logo must have permission of the artist. We have permission to use it on the website, but not to sell it in any way.

[ April 27, 2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the artist anonymous? Is it possible that the artist could be contacted and might be willing to sell a lithograph of the painting? It really is gorgeous.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Or something like how the Folk of the Fringe artwork is.
Or is the artist waiting out for the big paycheck!!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I little while ago, I bought a book plate with OSC's signature *hugs her book plate*.
The artist's (C) stuff is there. Turns out his name is Mark Harris. I tried to contact him using my Google-fu, but I can't seem to have any luck, can anyone help me?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is -- it costs money to make quaility art prints, lithos. And to make them affordable, you need to make quite few. I'm pretty sure that artist won't be putting up that money any time soon, and we won't be, at least not yet [Smile]

The Folk of the Fringe artwork was ALREADY a print that was being sold by the artist before we used it as cover art. We just made it availabe here also.

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I little while ago, I bought a book plate with OSC's signature *hugs her book plate*.
The artist's (C) stuff is there. Turns out his name is Mark Harris. I tried to contact him using my Google-fu, but I can't seem to have any luck, can anyone help me?

Too many people with that name. Actually, that was the name of Patrick Duffy's character on "Man From Atlantis". But it's probably not the same guy.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

You know, some color laser printers do an excellent job. You might be able to sell some of those even.

I'd buy one

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Producing art with a printer is actually a separate discipline in itself. They go really crazy with it. There is a process called cibachrome that my Grandmother made "prints" of her watercolors with. But they are pretty much fancy photocopies, not actual prints. Going that route is a tricky one for an artist. Kind of like if you are an author, publishing on the internet vs. being "professionally published". If you let your art be copied, a professional distributor will not be protected if they distribute your stuff.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Look at the picture. It was obviously a painting first. If you wanted to make prints, you'd have to take the original to a place that does it.

But I hope Mr. Harris has been told how much people love his work. Perhaps it'll encourage him to make it available.

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Harris is English, if that helps narrow down the search. He also did the artwork for the forthcoming hardcover edition of Saints - after all these years, we're finally bringing out the first-ever hardcover edition in time for Christmas sales ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a thoroughly unexpected and extremely welcome surprise. My old second-hand paperback of Saints is practically falling apart. Christmas will be good this year. [Smile]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Excellent! I love new hardbacks in my collection!!!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.