FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Dear Puppy, PHOTO! of my lil puppy!

Author Topic: Dear Puppy, PHOTO! of my lil puppy!
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Photo in new post at bottom!

Please see the newest post!

You probably won't care, but I am going to tell you anyway.

My son saw my old copy of Lost Boys, and opened the cover. He got excited and said "He looks like me!" refering to Stevie on the inside cover. I told him that it was a book that was too scary for a 6 yr old, but thatit was written by the same guy who wrote Ender's Game (which he LOVES, and for some reason at some point I thought was a good book to read to a five year old *shrug*) and that the little boy in Lost Boys was based in part on his son, who posts on Hatrack and sometimes is called "Puppy".

He got a funny/excited look on his face and said "I'm a puppy too!"

He just finished up closing night in a show called "How To Eat Like A Child and Other Lessons In Not Being A Grownup" and one of his parts was the puppy in the lesson "How to beg for a dog". It was his (and the audience's) favorite part of the show, and afterward everyone was calling him "Puppy".

He just thought it was the coolest thing that he and you are both sometimes known as Puppy. Feel free to roll your eyes now! [Smile]

Please see the newest post!

PHOTO in new post at bottom!

[ September 04, 2006, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
How cute. I think it might be good to wait on reading that until he's old enough to distinguish between ficton and reality.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

He can distinguish between fiction and reality, but doesn't like scary things, even when it is aimed it kids (like goosebumps). Action- great, Sci Fi-awesome, Fantasy-beyond the best and coolest, scary- FORGET it. He puts up with the scary parts of Harry Potter (barely) because it is Harry Potter the Wizard at a wizard school and full of magical beasts.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Robbie was the character in Lost Boys who was based on Geoffrey Card. Then again, I can't remember if I thought that based on reading it somewhere, or just based on a perception I have about his personality as gleaned from his Hatrack posts. Hmmm, as melon-scratchers go, that's a honey-doodle.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Both Stevie and Robbie are based on Geoff. Stevie was quieter than Geoff <grin>, but most of the non-fatal, non-magic stuff that happens to Stevie happened to Geoff - especially with the schoolteacher. The core goodness of Stevie was Geoff. Robbie's hair-cutting episode with his sister was Geoff, too, however. It's just Geoff Geoff Geoff. When it isn't Emily or Charlie.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
But Geoff is also A Rat Named Dog, right? What's up with that?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading that book, I thought "This is his most autobiographical book? And they still live in Greensboro? And what's more, seem to like it?"

I've known that Church Lady in other places--and she's scary!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Omega, if I'm not mistaken, Geoff Card's "Puppy" nickname came from Papa Moose's son Mooselet. It was his (very cute, as Mooselet always is) shorthand for "A Rat Named Dog". [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the story.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When it isn't Emily or Charlie.
... or Papa Moose and Mama Squirrel!
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you lost me.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
On another note, Puppy, I see you work for Amaze Entertainment. Did you have anything to do with Spyro: Shadow Legacy or the upcoming Spyro: A New Beginning? I may buy these games since I liked Season of Ice and Season of Flame for the Game Boy Advance (which, however, were created by a different company), though I see that Shadow Legacy didn't do too well with the critics.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Spyro game we did was developed at our Austin studio. I work in Kirkland, and was or will be credited on:

Samurai Jack: The Shadow of Aku (PS2/GCN)
Shark Tale (PC version only)
The Sims 2 (PSP version only)
Eragon (PSP version only)
Plus, an unannounced PSP shooter and an unannounced PSP platformer based on a kids' movie.

Amaze puts out around a dozen games a year, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle [Smile]

Mimsies, that's an adorable story! Pretty much as adorable as the story of how I got the name [Smile]

Naturally, as always, my dad is merely projecting his own goodness and brilliance onto me whenever he thinks he is basing characters on me. His delusions are very sad, but understandable, since I was such an cute child ... if not quite as perfect as the ones you read about [Smile]

[ June 10, 2006, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Puppy ]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm . . . how many of the characters in Lost Boys were based in reality? The fact that the teacher was is in itself pretty scary . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Based on" doesn't mean "completely accurate to the last detail", of course [Smile] So take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Most of the major characters in Lost Boys have one or more analogues in the real world, but the supporting characters in particular have been sculpted and combined into simpler, more exaggerated folk whose personalities are easier to grasp and either love, hate, or pity [Smile]

For example, my third-grade teacher never sent us a creepy record. I had a bad third-grade teacher, and we did get a creepy anonymous record, but the two were brought together only through the process of fictionalizing the story.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
I work in Kirkland

Really? I had no idea. Chime in next time we try to plan a PacNW get-together-ism! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

I keep checking the Little Theatre web site, but the archives aren't posted yet. When they ARE, I'll post a link to Sequoyah the Puppy!

edit typos

mimsies
Member # 7418

Okay, last week Missoula Children's Theater touring show came through town. They have auditions on Monday, rehearse all week, and the show is on Saturday.

This year they did "The Pied Piper"

I bet you guessed it, Sequoyah (my son) played a Rat this time.

Many people who remember him from his last show started calling him "Rat the Dog" or "Puppy Rat"

He asked me on Monday "What is the OTHER Puppy's other name?"

He was very excited when I told him "A Rat Named Dog." He giggled and said "We're almost the same AGAIN!"

[Big Grin]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe!

I used to do plays with them every summer! So much fun!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
(Don't tell Puppy, but I actually had to tone down Stevie's goodness to make the character more believable. Geoff was an astonishing kid in many ways. In fact, we have been incredibly lucky with all our kids. We get credit, from people who know our kids, with being great parents. But we know they arrived that way. We just tried not to void the warranty ...)
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids have a WARRANTY?

[Eek!]

Whydidn'tanybodytellme???

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't take off the tags. Its prohibited by federal law [Angst]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

They have TAGS?!?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the boys do anyway. [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*snort*
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
*chuckling out loud*
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Sequoyah is amazingly good too. But I like people to feel free to tell him. He thinks he's bad, no matter what I say. I am pretty sure it is connected to the recent divorce.

When I reread the book, Stevie reminded me so much of him, but I thought to myself, about how Sequoyah is sweet like that, even more so.

mimsies
Member # 7418

Here is Sequoyah the Puppy! He is sniffing his potential owner's knee.

http://www.lalt.org/archive/2005-2006/eat/b/eatPA0334.jpg

Here is a whole cast shot sans costumes:
http://www.lalt.org/archive/2005-2006/eat/b/eat_group.jpg

with costumes:
http://www.lalt.org/archive/2005-2006/eat/b/eatPA0095.jpg

Sequoyah's portrait for the Lobby display:
http://www.lalt.org/archive/2005-2006/eat/b/2998.jpg

The Lobby Display:
http://www.lalt.org/archive/2005-2006/eat/b/eatMISC08.jpg

I have no good Rat pictures yet sorry

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww. Cuteness!

I am also the possessor of two very good (mostly) little girls. [Smile] They don't have tags, though. I got them second-hand.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh, that is SO FREAKIN' CUTE. Sequoyah is really adorable. I used to do theater at that age - it was SO much fun! Kudos to you for getting him involved in it! (And Sequoyah is a cool name, too. Is he named after Chief Sequoyah?)

Somebody mentioned PacNW get-togethers. Please clue me in next time you plan one! I'm in Edmonds, WA, and I'd love to attend.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wait! MISSOULA Children's Theater? I did Alice in Wonderland with them when I was about 11 or 12. I was the Mad Hatter. I still remember all my lines! ha!!

Man, this makes me want to be a kid again. A cute little kid with long hair in red overalls.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Garsh... sorry I haven't been on lately...

He is named after the man who invented the Cherokee alphabet, though don't THINK he was an actual chief.

We just tried out for the local Light Opera production of Annie Get Your Gun. We are both in (will be powwow dancing and in the chorus) but he didn't get the part of Little Jake he auditioned for. Some nonsense about him being TOO LITTLE Jake.

He had the best audition by far, and had already memorized all the lines... he even had a perfect accent! But it's the director's show not mine. We just do what we are told!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.