FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for Icarus, Cor, and anyone else with Disney knowledge

Author Topic: Question for Icarus, Cor, and anyone else with Disney knowledge
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
We're considering a trip, but is it worthwhile to go while the twins are so small? Will there be enough for them to do, enough rides and such? Mainly, I know my 10 year old will want to ride roller coasters and stuff, but the little ones won't be able to, will they?

I just hate to have us go and have to split up because the stuff the older ones want to do is too much for the little ones, ya know?

Any suggestions how to make a trip worthwhile that will please adults, a 11 year old, a 6 year old, and two 4 year olds? (we're thinking maybe next spring)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
There is plenty that both can do. There is plnty that the older can do that the younger can't and there are rides that will bore the snot out of you and the older but the younger will love.

If you don't like just sitting around while half of the family waits in the lines for the older kid rides, go during the off season. We usually take the kids out of school when we go, just to avoid the lines.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
DisneyWORLD or DisneyLAND? (Orlando or LA)
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, there are a lot of rides at the Magic Kingdom that you can ride with the twins. We took Rayne on every ride we could. Magic Kingdom was the best for this. There were quite a few things to do with her at Animal Kingdom also.

The rides we couldn't all ride together we did child swap, which is a great deal for everyone else in the party. Basically, we all stood in line (though there were cases where the ride attendant just waved us to the front of the ride -- that was nice) then when we got to the front, Ross or I went off with Rayne to wait in a waiting area. The one not staying with Rayne would go with Christian on the ride. The cool part was that Christian got to ride everything twice, because when we swapped, he could go again if he wanted.

I wondered if it would be worthwhile going to DisneyWorld and/or Universal Studios with a baby, but we had a ball. My only complaint is that there were no open green spaces for us to let Rayne out of the stroller to crawl. But we really had a wonderful time. It was worth taking her to everything we could.

Edit: btw, when we went this year it was PERFECT. The two weeks just prior to Memorial Day. Almost no crowds. Also, if you can, try to rent a condo or timeshare for the time you're there.

And I highly recommend Gatorland. [Big Grin] We really loved it. Just one ride (a train), but the animals are really cool.

[ July 11, 2003, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle...first of all, definitely worth it. My first visit to Disneyland was when I was not quite two years old, and I still retain vivid memories of that trip. The Jungle Cruise, with the "tour guide" shooting a cap gun at the hippos; the mine train (which they haven't had for a long time); thinking that the "trip to the moon" was real and wailing out "I'm sorry, but we can't go to the moon" so loud that one of the attendants had to take me out to stay with my cousins' aunt while my mom, my aunt, and my cousins enjoyed the ride. I can see these events in my mind as clearly as if they had happened yesterday.

And the best way to deal with having "bigs" and "littles" on the same trip is to let each one choose a ride in turn to go on; when a ride is chosen that the little ones can't go on, the big ones take turns staying off the ride and watching the littles. Sure, there is a little compromise involved but, especially if you spend more than one day there, everyone eventually gets to go on the rides they really want to.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I took my three to Disneyland in October, and they had a great time -- as did I. [Big Grin] They were 8, 5, and 3 at the time. I did make sure to bring along my teen-aged sister, so that could split up for part of the time. But we actually mostly just switched off with the kids, or did stuff as altogether.

We also took a trip to Legoland at about the same time. That was even more fun. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Disneyworld still has the mine train. It's my fave ride.. [Big Grin]

I assert that I'm knowledgeable enough for this thread, as my dad is a certifiable Disneyaphile, so I have this to say...

Child swap is the way to go. And don't worry about age ranges having fun, because I went when I was various different ages, from 6-16. I had fun every time.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, my older daugther was 4 when she went to Disneyland. Two years later, she is still asking us when we can go back.

If they like science stuff, the Griffith Park Observatory in LA is as about as good as it gets.

Also, if you don't mind heading down San Diego way, the Scripps Oceanographic institute is WAY cool. Awesome aquariums (including a 20-30 ft deep giant kelp bed with appropriate fauna) and really cool tidepools where you can touch sea floor creatures. The San Diego Zoo is very expensive, but widely regarded as the best in the country. If your kids like airplanes, the San Diego Air and Space museum is awesome, and you can visit Mirimar NAS (Navy Fighter Weapons School). Down on the harbor, you can sometimes tour Navy Ships and there is a restored "Tall Ship" called the Star of India which is a fascinating tour as well.

Just throwing some stuff out there [Smile]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Disney World is great for PEOPLE of all ages. That child swap thing mentioned before is awesome -- Disney is completely accomodating. And I think your older children would enjoy many of the rides and attractions you can take your twins to -- shows, etc. The only park that might be tough with little kids is MGM, and Epcot tends to draw an older audience, but of course there are no roller coaster type rides in Epcot. Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom are *great*.

If you're going in the summer and want to visit a water park, stay away from Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. The third water park (the name of which is escaping me at the moment) is near the Wilderness Lodge and the Disney campground, and is totally kid friendly, whether they are ten or two. It has tons of shallow pools and small slides, isn't usually very crowded, and is really small -- almost a beach type environment. No going from one line to the next -- just swim where you want. It's still MY favorite waterpark -- I went there first when I was 4, again when I was 9, and then a third time when I was 16.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks everybody!

Very helpful.

Last time I was at Disneyworld I was 13. I didn't at the time notice what little ones could do because it wasn't a concern. Plus, things have changed a lot in 20 years, I don't doubt. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the Griffith Park Observatory is closed for major construction. I don't think it's scheduled to reopen for another year or so.

Ok, after checking their webpage, they don't reopen until 2005. However, they do have a temporary setup, apparently.
quote:
This new facility -- the Griffith Observatory Satelite -- also features a public space with a modest display of astronomy exhibits, an innovative planetarium theater, a lecture/presentation/meeting area, and a telescope to view the moon and planets at night.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
<marks calendar. Next trip to LA, 2005>
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there are no roller coaster type rides in Epcot.
Well, no, but there is that really fast thing (Fast Track?) and the little thing on wheels inside Norway, with the trolls. [Smile]

Epcot is my favourite, but then, I am not young and I don't not like roller coasters.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to disney land when I was 6 and still have found memories of it.

Then again, we went to Disney World every other year from grade 6 through my sophmore year in college so I have lots of memories.

THe best time was when my wife won us discounted tickets for a stay in Disney World for our honeymoon. Our Honeymoon in Disney World the day MGM opened up. Talk about wild, exciting, action and thrills. Then we left the room and had fun too.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had seen this sooner!

As far as your kids being allowed to go on rides, there are very few rides at Disney World your kids will be too small to go on. My girls are five and small for their age, and they have been on most of the thrill rides at Disney, including Tower of Terror and Dinosaur! Most of the height requirements for fast rides are around 36". Some rides, such as Rockin' Roller Coaster, are taller, around 42" I believe. My girls are not yet tall enough to ride that (they are around 40" tall) but they can ride most of what they want to. The Magic Kingdom is the park most specifically geared to them, but they also love the Animal Kingdom, which surprised me as that is my least favorite park. However, it makes sense, given how much most kids love animals. MGM has some specific things kids love, such as shows based on Playhouse Disney, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast. Phantasmic! their nightime special-effects intensive show, was also a big thrill for my girls. Epcot almost certainly holds the least interest for little kids.

Speaking of Epcot and thrill rides, though, operational testing (i.e., with park guests) will begin in August.

If your kids were infants, then I might question whether they would enjoy the parks, but for kids as old as yours, it will be a thrilling experience. Disney is not your run of the mill amusement park. Go while the kids are young enough to eat up the magic. If you wait until they're too old, they will be bored with the relative scarcity of thrill rides.

A more serious issue to consider, beyond height restrictions or the presence of entertaining rides, is how hot and crowded the park is during the summer months. When we used to have to travel to come here, we found waiting in 40 minute lines with a couple of two- or three-year-olds was literally hell. If you insist on coming during the summer, and if you can afford it, I strongly recommend you stay on property. You will probably ignore this advice—everyone else does—so I won't mention it again after I explain why once. You will be much less likely to get divorced, abandon your children, and never come back to Disney ever again, if you break up your day. Go to the park early, even if you're not a morning person, stay until mid-afternoon, and go back to the hotel room. The little ones can take a nap, the older ones can play at the pool, watch a little TV, whatever, and then you go back in the early evening. The park is least crowded nearest opening and closing time, and the break is conducive to maintaining sanity and family harmony. Resort guests are also allowed into specific parks an hour before opening and an hour after closing. Needless to say, the parks are much less crowded (and hot!) at these times. I go to the parks all the time, and I can't tell you how often I see families fighting: kid crying, dragged by the hand at a trot by red-faced Mom, while Dad says "We paid $150 to get into this park, so goddam it, we're gonna have some fun! If I have to spank you until you start having fun, I will!" You're unlikely to leave the park when it means driving a (minimum) half-hour each way, on top of the half-hour walk to or from the parking lot. If you stay on property, an air-conditioned bus ride gets you back to your hotel. Many hotels also have child care services which can allow Mom and Dad to have a little grown-up fun of their own! The hotels on property range in prices, but are all more expensive than what you will find on US-192 and International Drive. Kissimmee is the land of cheap hotels. But the hotels on property are also mostly the nicest ones in town; Disney service is rightfully legendary. If you can swing it, you'll be glad you did.

On another note, don't be suspicious of "FASTPASS," as I initially was, simply because it's different from what you remember. It is an amazing idea for making it possible to get on all the "E-Ticket" rides without spending all day in line. If you go to Disney with kids, taking advantage of FASTPASS is a must!

quote:
If you're going in the summer and want to visit a water park, stay away from Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. The third water park (the name of which is escaping me at the moment) is near the Wilderness Lodge and the Disney campground, and is totally kid friendly, whether they are ten or two. It has tons of shallow pools and small slides, isn't usually very crowded, and is really small -- almost a beach type environment. No going from one line to the next -- just swim where you want. It's still MY favorite waterpark -- I went there first when I was 4, again when I was 9, and then a third time when I was 16.
Unfortunately, River Country is closed for the forseeable future. Beyond that, though, I can only assume Kasie went there without kids, and is basing her critique of Blizzard Beack and Typhoon Lagoon on her memory alone. No park anywhere is as well suited for kids as these two are, Blizzard Beach in particular. They both have fantastic kid areas (with no lines at all). Blizzard Beach actually has two kid areas, one for small kids and one for bigger kids. And the Lazy River is a great place to take a break

River Country, which I loved, had some serious sanitation concerns, by the way.

When you know more about your plans, send me an e-mail, as I haven't had time to visit Hatrack much lately. We can exchange phone numbers and I can look up anything you want me to. I hope you will make time to visit with the Central Florida Clump! (But if you insist on putting in a twelve-hour day at a park, we will take our leave of you before our own children go into meltdown. I'm not making that mistake twice! [Big Grin] ) (I also hope we don't miss each other, because I'm thinking of heading up to Biloxi in the next couple of weeks or so!)

G'Luck!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,

The Central Florida Clump Awaits!!!

I might even be talked into paying my way into the park <shudders>.

Remember bring plenty of cash. Our local economy needs the money!

And be kind to the people in the character suits.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't bother posting because Icarus is the man to talk to about Disney. Now if you want to visit any of the Universal parks, especially Islands of Adventure, I am the man to talk to.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

When we went when I was 10, Epcot became my fave park, and I've always loved it.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You will be much less likely to get divorced, abandon your children, and never come back to Disney ever again, if you break up your day.
I can vouch for the accuracy of this statement. Despite our family not being what you would called "well-off", we vacationed at Disney seven times in ten years...and we *always* stayed on-location and for approximately 10 days. (as a result, however, i have no money for college. [Eek!] but truthfully i wouldn't go back in time and change that...my memories of the time i spent at Disney are precious to me.)

I wasn't a big fan of rollercoasters until much more recently. And i never remember thinking "there's not enough to do here!" Like everyone has said before me...there's plenty. For people of all ages. Here's a laugh: i wasn't scared of the Haunted Mansion until i went back to Disney when i was 15. FIFTEEN! i'm not a big fan of ghosts popping up from behind gravestones. but as a child, i thought the whole thing was a blast and just mystical enough to be a tad bit scary.

yeah, so, if you want the perspective of someone who has video tapes and pretty vivid memories of her childhood excursions to the Big WDW, drop me a line. You and your family will have a wonderful time. [Smile]

edit: oh, and ditto what Ryuko said. Despite the general consensus that Epcot is the least fun of all the parks, it's *always* been my favorite. I don't know if that would hold true if i returned...they've closed down two of the rides there that contributed to my opinion. *curses the modernization of Disney under her breath*

[ July 11, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks everyone! Icarus, your input is especially valuable since you have twins!

I'd like to go in the early spring, but my older two are in school now. Spring break is when my husband takes his annual mission trip to Honduras. So, that leaves early summer. I know, not ideal. [Frown]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
they've closed down two of the rides there that contributed to my opinion. *curses the modernization of Disney under her breath*
Which ones?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Journey into Imagination

it's still *there*....*technically*...but it's a completely different ride featuring optical illusions or some such nonsense.

and

Horizons

i loved those rides...
[Frown] [Frown]

also, the World of Motion...and the old Universe of Energy, while if not more interesting than the current incarnation, was at least less annoying.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Horizons and World of Motion were my two favorites. [Frown]

Don't get me wrong, btw, I love Epcot! I like it better than MGM or Animal Kingdom. But often young kids don't so much (especially the under 8 crowd).

Ooh, and if you go to MGM you can try to win a Disney cruise!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

My advice with Epcot would be to go there first, before the youngest kids are aware that there's something else they could be doing. If you go to the Magic Kingdom first, they'll be complaining the whole time they're at Epcot. [Big Grin]

When you do tour Epcot, it's a mistake to tour it with the mindset that you're at an amusement park, rushing from attraction to attraction. One of the highlights of Epcot is all of the street performers, and most tourists don't even stop to take them in! Make a point of it: make time to stop and eat the roses! [Big Grin] I especially recommend the Canadian bagpipe rock band, the beatles band, the guys who do the fractured Shakespeare plays, the Italian living statues, the young Chinese acrobats (amazing!), and the "Jammitors" in Future World.

If you come in August, it won't be so crowded on the weekdays, because locals will have already begun the school year.

Anytime you're in a ride line with two lines (increasingly rare since the advent of FASTPASS), choose the left line. Most people choose the right one.

[Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

*pat pat*

Sorry mack. [Frown]

AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
When we went to Disneyworld a year or so ago, it was fairly successful (very successful if you consider that we went with my son [Smile] ), mainly because we read "Walt Disney World with Kids" by Kim Wright Wiley. The book previews all rides and attractions, rates them with the age of the kids in mind, and gives numerous tips on how to handle the stresses of visiting the Happiest Place on Earth. Definitely check it out, along with some of the other books on the subject (like the Unofficial Guide to Disney World with Kids).

And definitely look for this one restaurant in the Magic Kingdom ( the name escapes me). They have costumed characters visit every table every fifteen minutes during your meal. Great place for the little ones. And, if you make reservations during the hottest part of the day (and you must make reservations), you can do it in an air-conditioned room! It was really, really worth it when we went.

Oh, and good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

That could be a dozen restaurants . . . [Wink]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Darn Belle.. If you were here you could get a free Disney book. My library's getting rid of last year's copy. They're usually accurate for a couple of years after..
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Confused]

Why on Earth would anybody need a book if Cor and I are around?

[Confused]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Epcot is definitely the best... especially the world showcase. Last time I was there, I just hung out in Morocco all day, buying ceramics and eating couscous.

And I really dig the Land Pavillion.

That would have been the kind of stuff I dug as a child, but then again, I was a dweeby child.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I love Epcot, but:

"as a child" = 10 or 11?

or

"as a child" = 5 or 6?

I stand by my assertion that very few five-year-olds would prefer Epcot to any of the other parks. Mind you, my kids like Epcot plenty. But compare it to seeing Mickey Mouse, riding Dumbo, seeing Ariel, or seeing animals? There's no comparison for them.

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
the beatles band
It's called "British Invasion" and it's NOT just the Beatles. (Ashamed of you because you don't know this... or perhaps you do and you're just dumbing down for quicker explanation- if you are I humbly beg your pardon) It's one of my favourite things about Epcot, other than the marketplace inside Mexico. (I had a birthday dinner there and it was really lovely, I could spend all day in there, pretending I was in a warm evening in Mexico.)

I always thought the living statues were in France...(?)

Icarus
Member # 3162

Naw, Italy.

And Mexico is beautiful, but the food inside sucks.

[Razz]

Icarus
Member # 3162

A fun grown-up thing to do at Epcot (even when it's not Food & Wine Festival time) is to go around the lake sampling foreign wines, or to buy a small bottle of each for later enjoyment. For nondrinkers or big kids, though, you can do the same with candy. British candy . . . yum!

And, having said that, the best time on Earth to go to Epcot is around October, when the Food & Wine Festival transforms the park into an amazing culinary experience.

[Smile]

K--- lives in EPCOT (sort of) [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
but the food inside sucks
Well, my sister was crying and my parents were wrestleing with her and the food was ordinary (pasta, I had) and took about three hundred years to arrive and probably everyone was arguing but it was my birthday so I was happy and everything was well with the world.

*sigh* I was sure it was France.

Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
And Mexico is beautiful, but the food inside sucks.
agreed. but the atmospheres so fun i willingly put up with it. [Smile] And i love that ride, despite it's oddness...El Rio Del Tiempo. I taught myself how to play the theme song on my piano!

Dah dah dah dah dah
Da dah dah dah dah dah!
Dah dah dah dah dah
Dah DAH dah dah dah
DAH DAH DAH
dah dah dah DAH!
dah dah dah dah dah dah
dah dah dah dah dah dah
dah dah dah dah dah DAH!!!!!!!

And my sister loves the Norway buffet. I hate it. Despite my german ancestry, i can not get into that food. i just can't! and norweigian (sp?) food is very similar, in my mind. The best restaurant in the World Showcase is the Teppenyaki Dining Room. Aw, man. I would eat there every night if i could. if i lived in florida...

GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
My family goes every year. My mom and sister love it. Please note that the youngest child in my family is 19.

I would recommend the China lunch tasting menu in Epcot. Lots of good things to try for a reasonable price.

Typhoon Lagoon is probably slightly better than Blizard Beach for your older kids. The water slides aren't quite as scary and fast, although still fun.

The two best restaurants for groware Palio in the Swan (Italian) and the one at the top of the Contemporary (trendy California). Neither is cheap. There are also some nice ones at the Grand Floridian, the best being the one on the pier.

Also, if you are staying on property, you want to stay either at the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, or Polynesian. Those are the ones closest to Magic Kingdom.

Some of the hotels rent little two people speedboats, those are a whole lot of fun. We always do that.

At MGM, our favorite restaurant is the Prime Time Cafe. It's a 50's theme, from the food to the decoration.

At the Boardwalk, there are surreys that you can rent. Also a lot of fun.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Leonide: I sing that song over and over just to bug people! I thought it was just me. However, i sing it with "la" not "dah". *shrug*

And there are never any lines for that ride. I wonder why?

[Smile]

la la la la la
la la la la la la
la la la la la
la la la la la la
la la la la
la la la la la
la la la la la
la la la la la LA!...

Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
the best being the one on the pier.
Narcussis. [Smile]

yay, Teshi! Go us!! [Wink]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Three disney suggestions:

1) When I ate at Top of the World ath teh Contemporary, they interrupted the meal to tell us a Shuttle was about to launch. They then invited everyone present up to the roof to watch. Unfortunately the launch was cancelled at the last momment, but the view was great.

2) At Epcot, eat anywhere you like, but save desert for the French Pastries.

3) Scooters are not for only the lame and the elderly. My father is in a motorized wheel chair. I took them three years ago. My mother rented a chair and my Aunt went with them. Withing ten minutes my Aunt rented a scooter. I was stubborn and walked. They flew around Epcot faster than I did, had more fun, and were more refreshed after the day.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Narcoosees.

And the Top of the World is no more; it has been replaced by the California Grill. The Concourse Steakhouse, in the fourth floor of the same building, is also quite nice.

Actually, the best restaurant in the area, and one of the best restaurants anywhere, is Shula's, in the Dolphin Resort (of course). But it's not appropriate for children and is absolutely the most expensive restaurant I have ever encountered (and we like expensive restaurants!).

Pasta at the San Angel Inn???

Leo, I too did not much care for Restaurant Akershus.

There's tons of little individual suggestions I could give for each park. For instance, the best fast food value at Epcot is at The Land Pavilion. The Rose & Crown is a great place to get a leisurely lunch. Michael at the Harmony Barber Shop in the Magic Kingdom is one of the most talented hair stylists anywhere. The best quality fast food at any of the parks tends to be the non-mainstream fare, because they make it in smaller quantities. In the Magic Kingdom, that's the Mexican place across from the Pirates of the Carribean, El Pirata y El Perico. At MGM, it's the Commissary, which has oriental food and, oddly enough, a passably decent Cuban sandwich. Le Cellier in Canada at Epcot is somewhat undistinguished in decor, but has great food, particularly their maple-glazed salmon. The best way to go through the Magic Kingdom is counterclockwise, starting with Tomorrowland, because most people do the opposite. To avoid crowds at Epcot, go to World Showcase when it opens, do it from Canada to Mexico (again, counterclockwise), and then do Future World. Spaceship Earth often has an enormous line in the morning, but it has none whatsoever at night. The hotel with the best pool is/are the Yacht Club and the Beach Club (they share a pool). Santa's Winter Summerland is a much better mini-golf course than Fantasia Gardens, and is comparably undiscovered. Cirque du Soleil is absolutely awesome but rather pricey. DisneyQuest is a great place to spend a day out of the heat. The best hotel value for a home-away-from-home type accomodation is the Fort Wilderness Campground (their cabins). I can't tell you how wonderful it is to put the kids in one room and have some privacy! (I posted pics of these in a different thread, I think it was Jeniwren's.) . . . . .

. . . . I could go on for hours, but it really depends on what they are doing and when, so I'll wait until I know more.

Of course, the best thing you can do is tour the parks with me! [Big Grin] And hey, when you eat in a sit-down restaurant with me, I can save you 20%! (Except at the Mitsukoshi Steakhouse, sadly.)

I stand by my statement that Blizzard Beach is the best water park for children of all ages. They have more slides than any of the other Disney parks, they have a longer lazy river, and they have the two different kids' areas. But the snorkeling experience at Typhoon Lagoon is very cool.

[Smile]

[Cool]

[ July 14, 2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

So when are you coming?

[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.