FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there a better way?

Author Topic: Is there a better way?
Potemkyn
Member # 5465

- posted      Profile for Potemkyn   Email Potemkyn         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/07/23/station.marriage.ap/index.html

I wonder how that would work...

Posts: 131 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Another day, another precedent.

Unfortunately my ISP just knocked me off again, in the middle of composing a response. Check the UN's Space Treaties page, probably the COUPOS section.

According to current Space Law, the laws of the nation from which said spacecraft is launched are the laws to be used aboard the spacecraft. Unfortunately, the U.S. Govt. has ratified very few of these treaties, even though the UN continues to refine their ideas. The result: space will have little or no law.

When a company here in California stated the false premise of being able to offer deeds to property on the Moon, for instance, I called them on it stating the reasons in the COUPOS treaty. They have yet to dignify me with a response....

So grab your gun, or in this case, your garter, 'cause the exploration and colonization of space is as free as the old west!

Yeee-Haww! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called a proxy marriage. In Texas, she and a "stand-in" for him will be getting married. It's only allowed in Texas and Montana. He will not be present and the Space Station nor the country of origin will have anything to do with it.

For further information click here.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

But, according to the article, the Russian officer may only marry with his superiour's consent.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, so? I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. He's given his proxy. He can tell his superiors he's going to cancel it, but unless his proxy, who has his power of attorney hears about it, it can go through without him. I think.

Besides, if it's a big enough deal with the Russians, he could probably get political asylum, which is probably the only way he'd be allowed in the country since proxy marriages aren't recognized for immigration purposes.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

I don't see that Russia, the officer's native country, will recognize it. I'm not calling it right or wrong, just trying to say that if this guy continues his career in space, they would have to recognize it. If he, in fact, were to relocate here in the U.S., then, yeah, we'd probably recognize it.

But that does not make the marriage legal in his own country.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!
I've never heard of a proxy marriage though.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, looks like he did it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030810/ap_on_re_us/space_marriage_3

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.