FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anti-cardboard people, unite! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anti-cardboard people, unite!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, I'm not the only person in the world who occasionally gets that nails-on-the-chalkboard feeling or other strange reactions when touching cardboard. For years, I thought I was alone in this world, unable to drink milk from a carton without cringing and unable to touch a cardboard box without having my skin crawl just a little bit.

So who wants to join my club?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would I want to join a group of anti-cardboard weirdos? [Laugh]
[Evil]

I will tell you one thing that makes me cringe and totally squicks me out.

The Lamisil commercial - the one where the little fungus guys climb under the toenail and scratch? Oh My Eru, that makes me so uncomfortable, I can't watch it!
[Angst]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deidra
Member # 5455

- posted      Profile for Deidra   Email Deidra         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I am eligable for full membership, I can only not handle drinking milk out of a milk cardboard milk carton but touching it has no effect on me.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, so far, Caleb and asQmh are with me. Not that you guys are helping our cause at all. [Grumble]

Deidra: That's good enough for me. That's my biggest problem, too. Any case, no matter how mild, qualifies you for full membership, complete with benefits.

[ August 01, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
What about paper grocery sacks? The paper in them is very close to the same type that's used as liner on cardboard boxes. Cardboard is just a type of paper, of course. Do you have any problem with paper? Which things are okay and which are bad? Like if you move is packing a major nightmare from all the corrugated cardboard boxes? Do legal pads bother you because of the piece of cardboard on the bottom of the pad? Index cards?

Can you describe what it is about cardboard that you don't like? What quality or behavior is unpleasant? Like is it because it's sort of squishy when it gets damp or what?

I'm extremely curious about this. The closest thing to it I've ever heard is my cousin who can't touch cotton balls. It's the way they sort of scrunch against themselves that he finds revolting. He asked me to take the cotton wad out of the top of a bottle of Excedrin for him once, cause he couldn't touch it. (Well, I imagine he probably could if he HAD to but he would much much rather not.)

[ August 01, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
*runs in and sets up a bunch of card board cut outs of himself*

*Runs out locking the doors.*

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
altought I'm not one of the anti-cardboard people I'm quit sure that you are not alone. how do you do with cotton balls? I have a friend who has these zappers in tandum.
[Smile]

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
*Throws a bunch of cotton balls through a small window*
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Same thing with grocery sacks. Regular paper's usually fine, though very rough paper can bother me, too. For me, it's more of a minor annoyance—a slightly odd and unpleasant sensation. Handling cardboard boxes enough can cause some irritation, but not enough that it's a nightmare.

I think it's just the coarse fibers. It's an odd sensation. Like I said in the other thread (Thor's Art and Arrogance thread), I have the biggest problem with milk cartons. The feeling of cardboard against my lips is almost sickening. I had a very hard time until I finally got to the point where I could drink from a carton without wincing.

Cotton balls don't bother me. I think their odd scrunchiness is kind of cool.

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't touch corn starch without getting chicken skin. And sometimes just holding the box give me the willies.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*hurt that no one else thinks the Lamisil commercial is disturbing* [Cry]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*pat pat*

I think it's disturbing, too. Now stop cluttering up my thread and go start your own!

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Belle, I had heard about that commercial, but I got rid of TV in my house back in February, so I didn't see it until recently. I thought it was kind of funny really. But I know too much about what dermatophytes really look like, so I didn't take it too seriously.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm completely in. All that stuff makes me cringe-y.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at a grocery store, one of my fellow employees told me he had the very same problem which you have now expressed. I laughed at him and told him he was crazy, and that he was the only weirdo who suffered from this anti-cardboard affliction. Apparently I was wrong.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

That's right! Apparently, there are lots of crazy weirdos with this problem.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
My only gripe with cardboard is trying to use it for art projects. When I was in AP Art in high school, I made a very intricate and mathematically complex hanging mobile out of cardboard.

When it was finished, I made the entire class swear that they would restrain me in the most painful manner possible if I ever thought to start another project using such devil-media.

[Grumble]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate drinking from cardboard cartons, wax-paper cups, styrofoam, and plastic cups.

I can handle soda cans and mugs.

But I much prefer glass. There's no texas tumblers in my house.

[ August 01, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
So....

If I stuffed you into a cardboard box and held you there, would you eventually go insane with screaming?

*begins plotting*

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllenM
Member # 5447

- posted      Profile for EllenM           Edit/Delete Post 
*Uhg* I agree. When "they" advised us to buy our milk in cardboard boxes to inhibit vital nutrient loss, do to harsh lighting in stores, I couldn't do it. My kid's drink out of the jug. *Yuk* Glass, glass wonderful glass. You can see what you have and how much. The temperature of your drink is transfered to the cup, allowing you to anticipate the joy your mouth, tongue and lips are going to have. Need I say more .....
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deidra
Member # 5455

Thanks Jon Boy, what are the benefits may I ask. And as far as the foot commercial goes, I think it is kinda cute. (i'm weird, I know) [Cry] (can't help using Graemlins)
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
If I stuffed you into a cardboard box and held you there, would you eventually go insane with screaming?
Yes. But not because of the cardboard. I just don't like being crammed in tight spaces and held there.

Deidra, the benefit is having a group of fellow weirdos with whom you can share your weirdness. Also, you get a card. Who wouldn't want to be a card-carrying member of such a club?

Deidra
Member # 5455

cool, when do I get my card?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can only not handle drinking milk out of a milk cardboard milk carton but touching it has no effect on me.
I can't handle drinking milk, period. Am I eligible?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it made out of cardboard?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudders* cotton balls. I cannot abide them. the SOUND of cotton makes me shiver. touching them is agony. When I was little and mom started having us fold clothes in the laundry, even clothes folding, for cotton clothes, especially undershirts was painful. the REALLY odd thing is that it only hurts with my fingers. I can wear cotton clothes no problem. I just can't bear to hear them rub together, or to touch them with my fingertips
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Your card will be mailed shortly and should arrive within 8 to 10 buiness days.

And no, it's not made of cardboard; it's plastic.

Raia, you'll have to start your own club for that.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has that weird affliction with words. Certain words like noodle and that old car Citreon are like fingernails scratching the chalkboard. It literally gives her a headache to hear them. She met a little kid in Bloomingdales one day who couldn't stand the sound of the word five and would always skip it when he counted aloud. I have trouble with the texture of sour cream and also onions. I like the flavors but the way they feel in my mouth ack! The sound of cutting cardboard also bugs me. Is this enough to get in ???? [Angst]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
With me, it's newsprint. As long as I am just turning the pages of the newspaper with my fingertips, it is usually tolerable, but I cannot abide newsprint touching any other part of my body. It is just the grossest feeling.

And any kind of bath or body powder. Ewwwww. Awful.

And when accidentally I scrape my fingernails on the outside of the car. If anything, that's even worse than a chalkboard.

Edit: Since Wendybird posted at the same time I did, I didn't see her comment about food textures. Beans. I cannot eat beans. I will not say here what their texture reminds me of, but I just cannot do it.

[ August 02, 2003, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate pizza boxes. They never ever fit into my stupid trashcan unless I squinch 'em up into itty bitty corrugated cardboard-balls. C'mon, if I'm so lazy that I ORDER A PIZZA, I don't think I'll be sufficiently self-motivated to squander energy on folding a stupid box when I could be doing something productive with my attention, like watching M*A*S*H or Happy Days reruns.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

Plus when I take apart cardboard boxes to recycle 'em, my hair stands up on end, as if someone had scraped a chalkboard. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

*sends cardboard milk-carton from Kapa'a High to Deidra* [Razz]
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds sick, but I'm pleased to find that there are others in the world with my cardboard problem. I had thought it was only my father and me.

Particularly icky is the actual friction that cardboard achieves with itself, especially on lids the fold in on themselves. The way the fibers run together makes my fingernails feel as if they are going to leap off my fingers. I shudder even thinking about it.

I can usually overcome this reaction, especially since I'm usually touching cardboard because I HAVE to touch cardboard. Most paper is fine, but some paper is similar enought to be problematic. Grocery sacks are definitely Right Out.

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy,

Have you ever had to move? How on earth did you handle it?

We just moved last month, and I'm probably going to be surrounded by cardboard boxes for the next six months at least.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
Kasie:

Thankfully in this day and age it's possible to move with tupperware (or the likeness thereof) products. Milk cartons (the sturdy plastic kind) can also be quite handy.

[ August 04, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Caleb Varns ]

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, mixing up the Lamasil Tube of cream with the Vagisil Tube of cream can cause many unpleasant sensations. Don't put them in the same drawer if you can help it.

[Blushing]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're bringing food textures into the discussion, I can't STAND jello. The creepy, squishy textures just grosses me out completely. I don't even like looking at it. [Angst]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

The texture of Jello is like pure gold in comparison to *shudder* cottage cheese.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Mushrooms should not be eaten. They are a fungus. The way they kind of pop when you bite down and then its all slimy is gross. I imagine that what eating a slug would be like. [Angst]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I've probably exaggerated how bad my problem actually is. I still dislike drinking out of a carton of milk. Cardboard boxes aren't so bad that I can't stand them, though. They're just sort of irritating. I've had to move a few times, and it wasn't a problem.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
*runs fingers across cardboard and smiles*

i'm angling the tips of my fingers so that i can feel it with flesh and nails at the same time.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You're sick, woman. Sick.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Celia isn't sick, she's evil...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Well it really is a problem for me. I mean, I have to work with cardboard at least once on any given day (just an average), and I put myself through it. But it is rather torturous to do so. It's like smelling a repugnant odor with your skin. You either wretch or cringe.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the lamisil commercial. I hate anything to do with toenails. Whenever anyone tells toenail stories (weird injuries and occasions when the toenail just POPS off [Angst] ) I have to leave the room. I don't know why. I'm fine during fingernail stories.

I also hate it when people bite their forks when eating. It makes a horrible sound.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Milk cartons (the sturdy plastic kind) can also be quite handy.
Yeah, but they're a real pain to drink out of. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I too hate the cardboard milk cartons - mostly because I can taste them instead of the milk. Same with those kid's drinks that are the the rubber containers...not the texture but the taste. ugh.

For food textures, I have to say I can't abide many vegetables. I hate the way lettuce, mushrooms and onions feel when I bite into them. My wife doesn't get it, when she says 'You can't taste the mushrooms', why I say 'But I feel them!'.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My wife doesn't get it, when she says 'You can't taste the mushrooms', why I say 'But I feel them!'.
Amen, Brother Tick.

And I hate the sounds of forks on teeth too. But I really hate the sound when my wife files her nails. I have to make her stop when she does it in the car.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Nail filing makes me cringe, too. I can't stand the sound it makes. [Angst]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Mushrooms are terrible it's like styrofoam or worse peaches. I can't stand peach fur. I love peaches when they are canned or nectarines which don't have fuzz but even thinking about the fuzz on peaches makes my spine shiver. It's terrible. [Angst]
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.