FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mm ... Neverwinter Nights ... Crunchy

Author Topic: Mm ... Neverwinter Nights ... Crunchy
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
A few days ago, I decided to reinstall Neverwinter Nights. It had been a while since I'd played it, and I wanted to see if it was still the same aberrant failure that I remember it to be, despite BioWare's otherwise impeccable record.

I played for an evening. It still sucked, so I didn't play it again for a while.

So after a few days, I went to open my DVD-ROM drive, and as the tray slid open, a shower of shards clattered onto my desk. Piecing them together, I found that they comprised about a third of my Neverwinter Nights play disc. Fascinated, I peered into the drive, only to see other shards wedged into various uncomfortable-looking locations.

Not wanting to invalidate my warranty by screwing around unsupervised, I called Alienware tech support. The guy had me remove the drive and shake it over my desk. A few more pieces fell out. I had to use tweezers to remove a few that had been propelled with great force into the inside front face of the drive. Still, piecing the disc together, I found that a major chunk was missing, and the drive would no longer close fully, preferring to slide open and shut repeatedly, ad nauseum.

So Alienware is sending me a new DVD-ROM drive. But all in all, this was a bizarre experience. I've never had tech support instruct me to shake or dump anything before, and I've certainly never heard of a CD-ROM shattering in the drive.

So I thought I'd share it with the rest of you. Generous, aren't I? [Smile]

[edit for a bizarre shift in tense]

[ August 05, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Card ]

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there was a curse.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
When we were having a LAN party one time Dan's PC had a power surge that cooked his system.

COOKED it.

It smoked out the top of the tower, and the bottom of the mouse literally melted. Though it damaged about five hundred dollars worth of parts, it remains one of the coolest stories. I don't know anyone else who's mouse has melted from a power surge.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You're pretty big on this whole curse thing, aren't you, kat?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Now see, until recently, I'd never even heard of Neverwinter. I'm now on Chapter 2.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

saxon, she's part witch. Hadn't you noticed? [Taunt]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
saxy, I have no explanation. It just struck me today.

I've been reading a lot about Harry Potter lately. Plus, I had my lunch buddy completely convinced today Hermione is the one who dies in the 5th book. I should feel bad about that.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You mean she's not??? [Eek!]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear there are a few good third-party single-player campaigns you can find, but since you don't have a copy of the game anymore, I guess it doesn't matter [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got that beat Geoff. We had a system at my last job that used to SHOOT CD's out at enormous speed, shattering them in the wall in front of it. Somehow, the drive didn't spin down before ejecting the disk, so they really got ejected! It was great fun when we'd get frustrated with a dumb caller.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, the CD probably had a very tiny crack in it. I've heard of it happening before. I heard once that that was why CD drives probably won't go any faster.

Sucks that it happened, though.

What I'd recommend is that if you've got lots of HD space, go out and get Alcohol 120% (link) and use it to rip your CD's to (yes, it's legal - as long as you own the CD).

I use it on my network, and I figure that the virtual drive rates at about a >100x speed (constant, not max).

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

slacker, I use Daemon Tools for that...let's me use normal cd images (iso or just about any other). Is that what that product does?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

Yeah, it does read the various images that you can make. I never really liked Daemon Tools as it kept crashing or would just refuse to read the images that I made in Nero.

I know that you can make images in several formats (which of course it can read), but if you're making a backup of your game, and know what the protection is on the CD, you can select it and the program will introduce the same protection (helping to make it look like a real CD).

Also, you can make images from it as well (though I'm sure you can do this with Daemon as well).

I'm pretty sure that it's going to come down to personal preference.

Edit: if you ever need to get the files from an image, you can always try using ISOBuster. I love that program!

[ August 06, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: slacker ]

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Sweet. I do the same with daemon tools (doesn't crash on me, but every system is different) although the encrypted cd workarounds never seem to work. I had to use it so the wife and I could play Morrowind on both computers. [Wink]
slacker
Member # 2559

Eh, I'm not gonna judge you. I'm a frequent visitor to gamecopyworld, megagames.com, gamefix (beware of gator installs).

They also have some great trainers that you can get there (like the 5,000 unit trainer for Rise of Nations).

TheTick
Member # 2883

I just got tired of forgetting my CD at home if I took my laptop somewhere. So, I keep a few choice games on the laptop permanently.
slacker
Member # 2559

Yeah, I'm the same way. My laptop doesn't have a DVD-Rom - yet, so I just rip my fav movies, encode them (still working on getting a good setting for xvid), and watching them that way.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.