FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ultimate Hatrack

Author Topic: Ultimate Hatrack
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I play ultimate frisbee at my highschool. (yes...it IS a sport). I love it immensly, and have been playing forever. My dad taught me how to throw a frisbee when I was 3. Our team is relatively good, but not great. It's a co-ed team [Wink] and I am one of the captains. (a very good feat for an entering junior!). The only problem is that the only people who acctually are on our team are the pot-head hippies and the drama freaks, like myself. We get made fun of constantly, and it's not fun. Never-the-less, we are still a good team

A few weeks ago I went for my license. Now, first of all, when I did my driving hours in driver's ed, my instructor told me that sometimes the state trooper would ask kids to go the wrong way down a one-way street, which I thought was completely unfair. I mean, if a state trooper, who has a gun by his side, asks you to make a 3-point turn, you MAKE that 3-point turn, whether it's down a one-way streeet or not. But I digress... When I got into the car for my test I handed the trooper my permit, which had only gone through the wash once, but was in horrible shape. The state trooper then proceeded to yell @ my for my permit, while still in the parking lot or the testing place, everyone else looking on. Of course, me, being the responsibly one, had already previously asked my driving instructor if it was okay, and he said yes, so I had no idea this guy was going to yell @ me. When we finally got on the road, he asked me what sports I played, looking for a topic of conversation. I told him.

State trooper: What sports do you play?
Me: Frisbee
State trooper: What?
Me: Frisbee
State trooper: What, do you see who can trow it the farthest?
Me (whimpering):No......it's ultimate frisbee. It's a sport.
State trooper: Oh, okay
It went on like that for a while, all the time I am becoming more and more sure that I'm NEVER going to get my license. [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] But I got it, and I'm okay now. WATCH OUT MASSACHUSETTS! HERE I COME!

What horror stories do you have about your driving test? I need consolation

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I did so well in drivers' ed that I got to take the test with the instructor instead of at the DMV.

[Big Grin]

Oh, I'm sorry - you wanted horror stories....

Sorry about that!

[ROFL]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Well...I didn't acctually take my test @ the DMV. I took it w/ my driver's ed school. Basically it's a much easier and shorter test...hee hee hee. But it still did freak me out

(the test itself wasn't bad, all I had to do was a 3-point turn, and I'm a pro @ those)

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm still in driver's ed... maybe I should avoid this thread until AFTER I take my driving test...

[Angst]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, we all know that parallel parking is part of your driver's test. In Arizona there are very few places where you use parallel parking, so I hadn't really ever had a chance to do it. I mean I practiced in a regular parking lot pretending different lines were cars, but had never actually parallel parked. During that portion of my driving test, I started to get really flustered. I was driving a minivan - not very conducive to seeing the orange cones the guy giving me my test had used to mark the hypothetical parking spot. I was getting really frustrated and he could tell. Lucky for me, he let me pull out and try the whole thing again. I did just fine the second time and got my license. I think that, in my 10 years of driving I've parallel parked maybe 3 times. [Roll Eyes]

[ August 06, 2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimate! Excellent. My high school team went to three tournaments this past year.

And next year I'll be at the University of Oregon, where both 2003 Callahan winners play(ed). *grin*

Also: to avoid derailing the thread, no DMV horror stories.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Lol...Raia....good luck w/ ur driver's test! heh heh heh
[Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Laugh] [Evil Laugh]

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. My own test wasn't too bad. I'd say the worst part was when everyone was lined up and I saw the people returning from the test. There was one test where the tester and driver (not testee) got out after the little after-test talk. The driver went straight to her car and her dad drove. It took a moment but the people in our car realized that the girl didn't pass. That was scary.

Anyway we don't have state troopers give the examinations. No guns, just people who are hired to administer driving tests. The lady I got just told me what to do and that's what I did. At the end she said I was going way under the speed limit on one street and I need to stop behind the limit line.

But, my friend failed her drive test the first time. The car's not allowed to touch the curb when they test parking, distance from the curb and backing up in a straight line. So this friend's wheel touched the curb and she automatically failed. And if she reads this I'll probably get majorly busted..

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear.

Okay, the debacle that was my driver's license test.

I parked my car, went into the building, and my tester came back out with me. We checked out my brakelights, etc, and eventually got into the car. I put on my seatbelt, and started the car.

"Okay," he said, "back out of the space and drive to the left."

Easy enough. I pushed my foot on the gas. The engine roared.

I was, of course, still in park. Embarassed, I shifted the car and tried the gas again. This time, we went forward -- and narrowly missed smacking straight into the cememt lightpost in front of us.

By this point I was bright red, although I did manage to get the car into reverse after that.

And they *still* gave me my license.

Keep in mind, though, that at this point I lived in Florida, land of licensed drivers over seventy. I guess it's all relative.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Okay, I just need to point out the Ultimate Frisbee is the best sport EVER! It is such a smart sport, too. It is the easiest pick-up game there is. There is no need for refs, or even coaches for the most part. (our team went 3 years without a coach.....we sucked, but we could still play) All you need to play firsbee are 4 markers for the goals, a frisbee, and in the case of our field, a really long stick to get the frisbee out of the marsh.

ULTIMATE FRISBEE ROX!

But back to driving.....

Missus Fanta
Member # 5501

- posted      Profile for Missus Fanta           Edit/Delete Post 
When I took my test (keep in mind I had been driving well (albeit unlicensed) for more than four years. But I was so nervous at my three-point-turn that backed straight into the cone, at which point the tester says "Ummm, that's an automatic failure." I'm like "WHAT? Maybe you should have told me that before the test started!"

Anyway she passed me. I'm a darn good driver. Just...cones make me nervous...that's all.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lol...Raia....good luck w/ ur driver's test! heh heh heh

Gee, thanks... [Razz]

It's not TOO bad... is it?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missus Fanta
Member # 5501

And yah, ultimate frisbee IS pretty great.
Although my team was normal, not a single rasta...there were some drama-y people tho.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

There were rastas everywhere. But I think what surprised me most was the fact that they acctually showed up to almost every practice, and every game. Maybe they weren't such potheads.

Oh wait....I forgot. They were

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Because of various moves from about 16-18, and then going to college and not owning a car, I didn't get my license until I was 20.

I still didn't own a car. I had been driving a couple of the trucks owned by landscape business I worked for, practicing. I learned how to drive on a stick shift, both when I was 16 and while I was practicing at 20. However, those trucks were not available for me to take the driving test in. So they decided to let me use the owner's wife's car, with the warning that making the car go in reverse was a little tricky.

They should have told me it was impossible.

So I'm doing pretty good on my test, in a closed driving range, when we drive into a simulated driveway. Okay now, reverse and pull out into the street.

I put the car in reverse. Nothing. It acts like it is in neutral.

Says the tester, "Are you sure you know how to use a stick?"

"I've never driven this car, it was the only one I could use. But I know how to use a stick shift."

I tried again, to no avail. The tester then tried to shift it into reverse. She had no luck either. So we had to drive forward into the gravel off the driveway and back onto the simulated road.

I was told that technically I would have failed, but since it was a problem with the car, and I did everything else right, I passed. Still, it is very scary and feels very foolish when you can't put the car into reverse.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missus Fanta
Member # 5501

I think my friends WERE rastas, without the pot...is that possible? It's like the rastaness was trying to come out, but we lived in a religious-y community, so was thwarted...

...and in my spare time, I like to butcher the English language...

Evie3217
Member # 5426

SURE! WHY NOT!! The more rastas the merrier!
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
The ultimate team at my highschool was basically the only highschool team in the state. So The Amish Squid Farmers (as they were called) played in tournaments againsts all college teams. They were very good, went on to nationals and did very well.

I played for awhile, but unfortunately, couldn't keep it up due to knee problems. [Frown]

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
No stories about my driving test, but my high school driving instructor had a doozy of a story about driver’s education:

He was doing the canyon driving portion of the driver’s ed with this young girl at the wheel. Canyon driving, of course, is driving on those twisty, turny roads cut halfway between the top and bottom of the local canyons. It’s a bit scary, and the girl driving the car was a bit nervous. So he and the two other students in the back seat tried to keep the conversation light.

When they rounded one corner, the girl felt she was going a bit too fast, so she pushed the brake hard. Only she did hit the brake with her foot. She hit the accelerator. The car leaped forward toward the side of the road—the side without the cliff.

Fortunately, the car they were in was equipped with a second brake for the instructor, located on the passenger side. He immediately slammed his foot on the brake.

He missed.

He stared in horror as the car raced toward the edge, the newspaper story about the death of a high school instructor and three students flashing through his mind. And then the car stopped, a few feet from the edge.

The girl did not have the presence of mind to pull her foot off the accelerator. But she did put her other foot, her left foot, on the brake. A few feet from the edge the car stood, the engine racing, the girl pushing everything she had on the brake.

The instructor just reached over and turned off the ignition. [Smile]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, [Eek!] [Angst] [Eek!] [Angst] [Eek!] !
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
YIKES!!

Well, I failed the first time... Unfortunately I can't remember why. I think it had something to do with not being able to do a ninety-degree back... MN driver's test is really tough.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I passed the first time. Minor demerits for a rolling stop coming out of a parking lot, and for going too fast through an uncontrolled intersection. I was nervous, and it was raining buckets, and I could barely see because for some reason I decided not to wear my glasses. [Eek!]

So even though I passed the driving test, I failed the eye exam, and had to wait a whole extra day to get my license. That's a good deal of torture for a teenage boy.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I aced my written test and did everything fine on my driving test, except...

At the last corner I had to turn to get bsck to the DMV, I didn't notice the light was red until it was too late. I slammed on the brakes and barely managed to stay behind the line. Back at the DMV, the guy said, "You might want to start stopping just a little earlier at red lights." That's all. I got my liscence and took my driving instructor out to lunch.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Dead Horse,
quote:
I got my liscence and took my driving instructor out to lunch.
You're a suck up.

Of course, after my permit scare, I messed up the first thing I was supposed to do, which is to make sure that everyone had their seatbelt on, except the trooper, cuz he has to be able to jump out of the car, or something like that.Of course, a trooper once deliberately failed a kid for calling him "dude"
"Dude, you need to buckle up"
So the trooper took him on a longer test, and failed him for the smallest things.......

Damn those super troopers

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I did fine on my driver's test.

But I picked up Slash to hang out with Lead and me yesterday, and I nearly hit three cars in the first five minutes. It was bad enough that he said he'd never pictured me as spacey. I'm not! After five minutes, I was fine. Good thing that when I had my driving test, I didn't realize it was going on. [Razz]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
you got to hang with slash and lead!?!?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* It was a VERY good day.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Alberta, and back in those days, I got my learners permit at 14, and I went for my drivers test at 16. This is hicksville Alberta, no drivers ed classes, and ice cover six months of the year. Of course my birthday is in January, so we have major ice and snow everywhere. The town is small, so only the main drag is salted/plowed, so all of the side streets have about four or five inches of compacted snow, which turned to ice, on the road.

Enter crotchety menopausal woman experiencing hot flashes as tester. Get in my car, go do the test. She makes me parallel park on a side street. Remember that ice I mentioned? I already knew this was a bad idea, and I suggested that we parallel park on the main drag, and she refused. Main drag was not busy at all - remember, hicksville. So I go to parallel park. Remember ice? Remember snow? Car has no traction and it gets stuck. Tester has to push the car out. Never mind that it was her fault for choosing such an idiot place to parallel park.

Automatic fail.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

i don't live in complete hicksville, but this winter was completely awful for driving. I got my permit in october, but didn't acctually start driving until about feb. I was eligible for my license in april. needless to say I didn't get it then, but it caused me insuffferable jokes and astonishment that I didn't WANT to get my license......OF COURSE I WANTED MY LICENSE!!!! I just couldn't drive well. But now I have it, and it's all good

Wow, I have a lot of stories about driver's ed and getting my license....you all must have had incredibly boring experiences. I can think of at least 2 more stories, but I won't go into them now....I'll torture u all later

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.