FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Me Hatrack! I need some funky music!

Author Topic: Help Me Hatrack! I need some funky music!
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in need of some funky music - I'm running low and getting sick of what I have, so I need some advice...

Here's what I'm after:

I like seriously funky music with great beats, good harmony and melodic lines and a really uplifting drive to it - I don't mind if it's pop. Here's some examples of the kind of music that I'm really getting into at the moment:

Mademoiselle - "oops do ya love me"
Thicke - "When I get you alone"
Ignition - "R Kelly"
Pink - "Feel Good Time"
Robbie Williams - "Something Beautiful"

I love "oops" because it's driven so well by the rythmic vocal line and by the keys.

I love Thicke for the pure fun & enjoyment you can hear in the music

I love Ignition 'cause it seems to be one of the few R&B tracks that understands how to build up to a chorus

I Love the funky bass of "Feel Good Time"

and I just like Robbie in general.

So help me out guys!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Tweet songs are rather funky.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
www.funkyside.com

Check out some of the bands on this site. there is lots of music to listen to.

Try Hank Roberts, The Horse Flies, Saint Low, Jennie Stearns, Sim Redmond, many others.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost anything accapella. I know it sounds stupid, but if it's not funky, it'll make you laugh. My suggestion in Davinci's Notebook. They have some great songs, such as Title of the Song (a parody on all boy band ballads) and Another Irish Drinking Song.
*runs away to get the cd and listen to good music*
Easter island Head by 5 o'clock shadow is great, as well as the PMS Song ( i forget who sang that though)

Have some good music time!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Use me" by Bill Withers is a pretty cool little funk groove... Dallas locals Evamore used to do a great cover of it...
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to Weird Al, and if you don't mind it being parodies he has some of what you're describing. His own songs, though funny, are usually dark humor.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Alech Taadi, by Cheb Khaled. A friend of mine sent it to me a couple of days ago, and it's pretty damn funky.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I love "Title of the Song." I haven't heard that in a while. It's hilarious.

I don't know if you've got your heart set on new stuff, but if you don't mind some old school funk/ funky stuff, here are a few of my favorite albums:

Curtis Mayfield: "Superfly"
Parliament: "Mothership Connection"
Talking Heads: "Remain in Light" and "Stop Making Sense"
Beastie Boys: "Check Your Head"
Beck: "Odelay"
Chase: "Chase"
Phish: "A Picture of Nectar"
The Crusaders: "Unsung Heroes" or "Rural Renewal"
The Atoll: "Dream Marquee"

Those are just a few that I could come up with off the top of my head. I didn't include techno, as I'm not sure that's what you're in the market for. Good luck.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, that makes me so incredibly happy that you've heard of Title of the Song. I don't know anyone besides my own family that knows about it, but everyone I play it for luvs it. We listen to an accapella radio show, so I keep current w/ the great accapella songs.

I would suggest "Walk of Shame", if purely for the title.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want the funk, then you want the P-Funk.

Dig up some of Parliament Funkadelic.

"Make my funk the P-Funk, 'cause I want to gets Funked up..."

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Funk!
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything from James Brown. And Paul's Boutique is as wonderfully funky as Check your head, but in a different way.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I like funkier stuff as well, but I have never been able to find enough to satisfy my cravings. (The postings in this thread have thus been very helpful in making a list of stuff to look for the next time I have money. [Big Grin] Thanks, y'all...)

Some funky-ish stuff I like: Maroon 5 (is it 5 or Five? I dunno...) and, um...some Red Hot Chile Peppers songs. That's all I can think of right now.

By the way, I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who likes "Feel Good Time". [Big Grin]

[ August 11, 2003, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crusaders for sure.

And, personal favorites of mine: Robert Randolph and the Family Band and/or The Campbell Brothers. They play Sacred Steel," a style of gospel-blues-rock-funk that uses a pedal steel guitar or two to imitate the voices in a choir.

At the Grassroots Music festival, there was a cloud of dust fifty feet high over the grandstand dance floor, as people jumped and grooved to the Campbells.

Jay Leno was obviously impressed with Robert Randolph on his show last week.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.