FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » No more Full Throttle!

Author Topic: No more Full Throttle!
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/432/432672p1.html?fromint=1
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllenM
Member # 5447

- posted      Profile for EllenM           Edit/Delete Post 
I got excited about no more CA's sequel, but clicked on the link and found out you were talking about a game. [Frown]
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
[Sleep]
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeek! What happened? I don't care about it not coming out for the XBox -- because consoles suck -- but this could have been a great PC title. *grumble* Reminds me of the way Blizzard nuked a perfectly good Warcraft adventure game....

[ August 07, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

[Eek!] [Frown] [Wall Bash]

Damnit! I loved Full Throttle, how could they can the sequal?

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAHhhhh;

[Wall Bash]

I remember the same thing happening to the great B5 game once promised.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember playing Full Throttle in school...it was fun. Sad to see this fall.

B5? That would be a great license that is sorely lacking in game tie ins.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I used to think consoles sucked. Then I played Metroid Prime.

If WarCraft Adventures was "perfectly good," I suspect Blizzard wouldn't have canned it [Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Yes, if it had been salvageble (think Starcraft back to the drawing board), I think they would've done it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
For me a console is like your bicycle when you have just received your drivers license.

I love console games, but they seem more like toys in many regards. PC games, however, are where its at!

P.S. Metroid Prime was cool, but Metroid Fusion for Gameboy was better, and more old school.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Consoles rule for sports games. Just about everything else I would play on the PC.

edit: duh Mike.

[ August 07, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

twinky
Member # 693

I can't tolerate side-scrolling anymore. [Razz] Besides, what made MP was the atmosphere, something that simply can't be replicated in 2D, let alone on a GBA.

Consoles and computers are for very, very different kinds of gaming. I don't understand why people persist in comparing them and saying "X sucks!"

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I would never say a console sucks...the problem is they've tried to make them too PC like of late. That causes comparisons to become much more common.
twinky
Member # 693

That's only true of the Xbox, though, if you think about it. The Xbox has more PC ports than any other console. Actually, it probably has more than the other two put together, and that's saying something given the size of the PS2's game library.

When I'm playing computer games I'll be playing an RTS or TBS title, a computer RPG by BioWare, a deathmatch shooter like Q3A, or something zany like Escape Velocity.

When I'm playing console games I'll be playing mostly adventure games (which includes survival horror) and fighting games. Also sometimes sports games and the occasional console RPG.

Very different animals.

TheTick
Member # 2883

The lines are definitely more blurred now than ever, though. More and more games are being ported, and the typical genres that you used to only play on one (like the bioware type RPG's) are crossing over. It used to be console games ported to PC were laughable. Now, they are often better then the original version (especially in the graphics department).
twinky
Member # 693

But the only major evidence of the phenomenon is the Xbox, which is in many respects basically a sripped-down PC. So that's hardly surprisng. The other two consoles aren't seeing very many PC ports (to them or from them) at all.

Yes, more console games are being ported to PC, and yes, the PC is capable of delivering better graphics – after all, it isn't confined to television resolutions – but a PC game like Neverwinter Nights or Planescape: Torment would be utterly unplayable on console. Knights of the Old Republic is BioWare's first effort at adapting their computer RPG system to consoles. And even then it's only on the Xbox. Halo has been out for two years on the Xbox and still hasn't made it to the PC. When it comes, it will be without the game's biggest selling point (co-op play). Half Life 2 and Doom 3, and maybe even Deus Ex 2, will be out before it. There's Grand Theft Auto 3, which is a pretty blatant money grab since by all accounts the PC version is pretty buggy. StarCraft: Ghost will come out for everything, and I'm sure Worms 3D will too, but by and large games that cross the PC-console boundary are Xbox games.

Look at the big name PS2 titles – Final Fantasy X, Gran Turismo 3, Madden NFL, Tekken 4, for instance. All of them are not only not on the PC, they're also PS2 exclusives. And all of them but GT3 wouldn't really work on the PC. The key difference – and this is not changing – between PCs and consoles is that part of what sells a console is the exclusive titles.

Besides which, over the last couple of years PC game sales have declined while console game sales have exploded. The console market is bigger and easier to develop for since there's no variability.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(Groans) Metroid Fusion...

No no no, don't jump on me, the game rocks, I'm stuck and that sucks, but what sucks even more is that my little brother LOST it, and then walked around the house despondently mumbling "Metroid Fuuuuusion...." for DAYS!!!

I only just got rid of him, to be confronted with it again.

[Grumble] You HAD to do that to me, didn't you...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I used to think consoles sucked. I was the guy who organised huge frag-fests after work. I love my FPS.

But having said that, I've come to a stage in my life:

1) I don't want to use my computer for games - it's for work, and sitting in front of it just hurts my ass.

2) Since I put my TV on a rolling stand I can play MoH, GTAIII (& Vice City) and anything else I want in bed.

It really doesn't get any better than that. [ROFL]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always hook your computer and a TV up to a rolling stand, you know. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It would be more hassle. Besides which, console games are far more suited to in-bed gaming.

I wouldn't want to try playing WarCraft III in bed... [Angst]

TheTick
Member # 2883

I play Warcraft III in bed now, although it's hard to grab groups of troops with the touchpad on my notebook. Morrowind, Jedi Knight II, UT2k3, Diablo II and Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed are all playable in bed, much to my wife's chagrin. [Smile] I bet we'll see exclusivity drop some once the next generation consoles come out. Right now, the PS2 just can't handle some of the newer stuff that well, and nobody wants to make grown up games for the Gamecube, despite Nintendo trying to broaden it's image. That's seen in many of the crossover games, like Tony Hawk.

If you can't tell, I looooove talking about games. [Big Grin] I'm probably not going to get a current console, though, mostly because of the exclusivity thing. I'd hate it if I bought an Xbox for KOTOR or Morrowind, but the next big game only came out on Gamecube or PS2. At least with a PC, if it's coming out for PC, I can play it pretty much guaranteed (at least if I upgrade my system!).

twinky
Member # 693

I love talking about games too [Big Grin]

I like console exclusivity because it's the means I use to differentiate them. Nintendo's first and second-party exclusives will never, ever see the light of day on any other platform. And rightly so, I think, because none of them would work without the GameCube-style controller. Keyboard and mouse in Metroid Prime would be blasphemous. I kid you not.

The console whose exclusives I liked the most -- the GC -- was the one I bought. I dunno that I'll ever buy another console, but I like this one. [Smile]

I couldn't tolerate playing War3 in bed, even with a laptop. It'd totally put me off my game and slow me down... I'd lose even more than I do already [Razz]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I can't stand trying to play FPS games on a console. It's so freakin' hard to aim accurately! I rented Medal of Honor a month or so ago and I kept dying because the bad guys would each shoot me at least twice while I was trying to get my crosshairs lined up. It was very frustrating.

However, consoles are much better, in my opinion, for racing and fighting games, and I really enjoy adventure/RPG games like the Final Fantasy series (although I like the NES/SNES episodes better) and Kingdom Hearts. Consoles are also much better for when you have company over.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I like FPS games that are designed for console, like GoldenEye and TimeSplitters 2. But I don't like console ports of PC FPS games.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Goldeneye was great, it's the only N64 game I still play. You are right on the console FPS ports, they really belong on PC's. No mod support, no skins, nothing that would make a good FPS great. Morrowind, too, is a great example of a game made superior by add-ons (official and otherwise). So much so that they are releasing a modded up version for Xbox. But they still have to go back to the previous save if you get stuck. [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.