FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mudding

Author Topic: Mudding
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else here MUD? Just wondering.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waltdisneysfrozenhead
Member # 2717

- posted      Profile for waltdisneysfrozenhead   Email waltdisneysfrozenhead         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play arctic and sojourn a lot, but with the advent of mmorpgs, I kind of stopped playing them. Which one are you on?

[ August 07, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: waltdisneysfrozenhead ]

Posts: 1062 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Well, I primarily play on a relatively small mud called "Age of Legacy." Address if anyone wants it is kyndig.com port 3000.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Oh and by the way my user name is Mithrank if anyone wants to know.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've been mudding since I was about five years old, but my father owned the construction company, and I frequently went with him to the job sites.

The trick to mudding well is to make sure ya got lots of mud, plaster it over the seams and nails real good, thick coat, and scrape off the excess in one smooth stroke. It's real easy once you get into the rhythm of it.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Er - not that type of mudding [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh - really? See, you didn't specify, and I didn't know, so I thought maybe you were talking about home improvements. Huh. Okay.

Still, the comments I made are accurate, so if anyone out there is looking at mudding, that's what ya do.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know people still MUDded. I thought they all MOOed. I've never done either. Should I?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Sure! (See my shameless self promotion of where I mud a few posts up.)
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I mud...or I used to. I don't have much time to do so anymore, but I was on Aardwolf. That's actually how I met my husband. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more a MUSH and MUX man, myself -- although the Discworld MUD is still the best MU* in the known world, hands down.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahim
Member # 5482

- posted      Profile for Fahim   Email Fahim         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Discworld MUD? Oh darn!! I wish I had the time to play ... [Frown]
Posts: 136 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Okay, so for those of us who OBVIOUSLY don't have a clue, why don't the lot of you enlighten us and tell us what this mudding thing is, if it doesn't involve gypsum board, eh?
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

MUDs are basically text-based online RPGs. You type in commands like "look" or "kill x" where x is the thing you want to kill. That sort of thing. There are some MUDs that you have to pay for, though the one I play on is free. So, basically, you can run around and gain levels and spells and skills, or go on quests, that sort of thing. Kinda fun.
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
Though you still haven't told us what the acronym MUD stands for.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

no, and you added another one - rpg or something. grrrrrr
Fahim
Member # 5482

And the short version is: MUD = Multi User Dungeon [Razz]
Posts: 136 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

but that still doesn't really explain anything, now, does it? [Wall Bash]
Fahim
Member # 5482

OK, a few more terms before the long winded (actually the extremely brief because I'm otherwise occupied and can't be bothered to go into details [Razz] ) explanation ...
RPG = Role Playing Game
MOO = MUD Object Oriented

Then you also have MMORPG which is Massively Multiplayer Online RPG .. but let's not go there - though I think I just did [Razz]

A MUD is basically an online game where multiple players play together. The setting or the environment for the game is defined beforehand and the players have to role play within that environment .. or something along those lines? Clear as MUD? [Razz]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

gee, fahim, what could you possibly be otherwise occupied with?
Fahim
Member # 5482

Well, there is somebody who keeps my mind occupied every waking moment - and even manages to get into my dereams somehow [Razz] So hard to think coherent thoughts at times [Big Grin]

[ August 08, 2003, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Fahim ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Cheese whiz, Fahim, what, are you trying to derail every single thread I post on? Sheesh.
Fahim
Member # 5482

Well not *every* thread .. there were some old ones that I didn't want to revive .. plus that one about driving in snow where I didn't even comment .. so truthfully not all [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Wall Bash] Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. [Kiss]
Fahim
Member # 5482

Now, now .. that's not a nice way to go about a reasoned argument [Razz] Plus, banging heads on walls leads to concussion - or so the surgeon general says on every wall .. in real small print [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Huh. I guess I'll have to start reading the fine print. Check it for grammatical correctness and spelling errors. [Wave]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you two just get a room. Seeesh. [No No]
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, yeah. Just give us, um, until, um, let me see, Thursday night next week midnight his time zone. Yeah, that's it. So that would be um, 11am Thursday next week pacific time. Yeah.
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my closest friends spends an obscene amount of time mudding. He plays a NY based one called Avatar almost exclusively. I think it's a monstrous waste of time, personally.

In case anyone is interested, avatar.outland.org:3000 and may God have mercy on your soul.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.