FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Domain name woes

Author Topic: Domain name woes
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you may recall, I have been shopping around for a web hosting service. I think I have my list narrowed down, but I have run into a problem: I am a total failure at coming up with a good domain name. So I was wondering how you folks with web sites came up with your names. I feel like if I asked for direct help with a name and ended up using a name I didn't come up with I'd feel utterly worthless, but hopefully hearing your stories might get my creative juices flowing.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
When I wanted to have a site dedicated to my writing, I naturally looked first for my name. All derivations of my name were already taken, unless I added in my middle initial, which I really didn't want to.

So, I sat down and started to think about what qualities of my writing were important to me, and whether I could get a good name out of that.

What I came up with was faithandheritage.com, because my writing is influenced by two major factors - my Christian faith and my southern heritage.

Hope that helps

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my domain name is snazzy: www.madowl.com [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think that should have been Mad Hatter. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I think it's pretty snazzy too, Jamie. Care to share how it came about?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

She's crazy and has insomnia?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to tell you the truth, I have several domains - or many domains. More than half of them I'm not even using at the moment - but the cost of registering a domain is so cheap, that when I think of a good name, if it's available, I take it and figure out what I'm going to do with it later.

I've asked friends for help picking out my domain name, so nothing wrong with that. What do you want to use your domain for? That, I think is the first question to answer. If it's your author site, then look for your pen name. That's a no brainer. Or, like the previous poster, think about recurring themes in your life. Want to throw us some bones and see what we can come up with?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, Kayla.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Really?!?

I was just making that up!

You know what they say, great minds think alike and fools seldom differ. [Wink]

mackillian
Member # 586

[Taunt]
saxon75
Member # 4589

My current site is mostly just a place for me to get my thoughts in order and occasionally play a practical joke. The film and reading lists grew out of a desire to keep a log for my own purposes that I could access from wherever I go. I added the reviews to give myself something to do (I don't labor under the delusion that anyone cares what I think). Similarly, my editorials are just there as an outlet for what I'm thinking about.

I'm not really a writer, though I am working on a couple of stories. Whenever I do switch over to new webspace I plan to keep my site more or less as is, perhaps adding a real forum, perhaps taking submissions, or adding anything particularly creative I might do (yeah, that'll happen). Mostly I want the new space so that I can have access to more web technologies; my current space is severely limited in what I can do.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
How about:

www.weakwisdom.***

Edit: Just checked and it's completely available. I thought of it after viewing your site and thinking about your Hatrack persona -- you know kind of riffing off your 'weekly wisdom' + some of your self-mocking humor. Intense but in a self-deprecating way.

[ August 07, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahim
Member # 5482

- posted      Profile for Fahim   Email Fahim         Edit/Delete Post 
All my domains have obvious names - but then again, I guess it makes it easy for people to find you if the name's obvious and they can remember it easily [Razz] Plus of course, it helps if it isn't hard to spell - or has variations in spelling ... though you can always buy all the variations up too [Razz]

And then there is the whole to COM or not to COM debate [Smile] Some people feel that a .com domain is the only one worth having since most people go for the .com domain automatically ... This I guess would be a personal choice ... I don't strictly follow the domain extensions by functionality rule (COM - commercial, ORG - organization etc.) but COM if available but if not the NET or ORG variant. YMMV [Smile]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Mac, madowl is yours? [Eek!]
I've been there twice and never inferred that.
Der! [Frown]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.philoticweb.net

Being an Ender fan site, I obviously wanted something connected to the saga, and I liked the combination of the concept of philotic twining (a linked community!) and with the double entendre of the term 'web'.

The .net was chosen because it's not commercial, and '.net just seemed more 'in character' with the site.

-Taal

[ August 08, 2003, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently at http://www.plastic-castle.com -- mainly thanks to a poem I once wrote. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't take... that baby's mine for when the time comes! [Smile]

[ August 23, 2021, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Thanks folks. I ended up going with one that's been rattling around in my head for a while now, largely because my wife likes it. I'll let you know when I get things set up (if you are interested).
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sax, we are interested. Let us know. That way, we can stalk you on your website as well as here. [Party]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

[Grumble]

Stupid DNS taking 24 to 48 hours to give me my domain name...

[Grumble]

saxon75
Member # 4589

It's not completely finished, but everything is at least functional, if not pretty. Besides, I'm impatient.

I hope you like it.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you had time to see all of those terrible movies, you damn well better have a couple of hours to see Whale Rider. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

See, the problem with movies for me is that I have to convince my wife that she wants to see it, too. Lately we've been neglecting our indie theater.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the site, but it seriously needs some different colors besides gray. Maybe white for the background of the essays? [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
uh, he has 3 colors to choose from, kat.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

You can change the color scheme with the links below the nav menu, but the non-gray ones look pretty bad with the new logo, in my opinion. I'll give it some thought.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Have you ever noticed that sometimes you post something, and then it doesn't actually show up until you post something else?

::hopes this works::

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Not colors, then, I mean contrast. All three are lovely, but very hard to read.

I need serious convincing for any color besides white to be behind text. It's just easier to read. It's hard enough to read on a screen anyway - monochromatic just ups that.

I like it very much, though. The green is my favorite.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.