FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Strange Haze . . . ummm Daze . . . no, Days

Author Topic: Strange Haze . . . ummm Daze . . . no, Days
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
First, let me qualify that I loved the Keltiad series by Patricia Kennealy (if you have not read these, find them and do so - excellent sci-fi/fantasy)long before I had any inkling that she was Jim Morrison's wife (via Celtic handfasting ceremony). She is a talented and creative author all on her very own.

Second, let me state emphatically that I have never cared for the Doors music, although I must admit it made a good backdrop for various scenes in Apocolypse Now, nor does the memoir by Patricia Kennealy recommend any fondness for Jim - misunderstood artist or not, he was a b*****d.

But having just finished her 1992 memoir about her " . . . life with and without Jim Morrison" I find that I am disturbed. And I am not really sure why. Anyone else read it? Any thoughts?

Perhaps the disturbance has to do with the disruption of the picture I had in my mind of the woman who writes so beautifully. I find it hard to match a person who writes with such clarity and creativity to a person who lived in such a chaotic and frenzied manner for those years. But then, perhaps it was that same inner strength that allowed her to survive those times.

*Thoughtfully wanders off to do some housework, mulling over the intricacies of the human spirit*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Okay - 12 years later I finally watch Oliver Stone's "The Doors" (after the child is safely asleep, of course).

Fascinating, how differently people perceive experiences.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, if you have very little interest in The Doors or Jim Morrison, why are you so interested in Jim's wife???
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the WIFE of someone couldn't possibly be interesting, especially one that has her own career as a writer.

Oh, wai

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I'm not familiar with Patricia Kennealy's work. thank you for letting me know that it exists.

If you wish more insight in what could possibly attract her to Mr. Morrison, you might remember that she has been many years down the road from those days long ago, and is likely a different person altogether.

In addition, I might suggest that a book on Jim might be in order. I'd recommend No One Gets Out of Here Alive.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor... [No No]

She read his wife's books and loved them before she knew that Patricia Kennealy was Morrison's wife. That was kind of, ummm, blatantly bloody obvious from the opening paragraph of the thread.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Thanks, Ethic - that was exactly the answer Thor - glad to hear from you. [Smile]

I did read the other suggestion many years ago which didn't impress me at all - P. Kennealy's memoir actually shows Jim in a very different light without making light of the drus/alcohol/wanton bizarre behavior. In fact, she's very clear that his alcoholism is unacceptable - which is hard to stomach as she pops pills, snorts lines and smokes copious amounts of dope - I dunno - there were parts of her book that were very honest and heartfelt, I thought, and parts that were rampages against the misconceptions, deceptions and "lies" told about their relationship.

The parts that bothered me the most I decided (sitting in church, listening to the pastor talk about the importance of imagination in faith) was that the rampages were written so vastly different from her usual style (consice, clear and well-thought out)that it just bothered me.

Anyway - I have absolutely no idea where I am going with this, except that it has provoked some thinking and a great deal of relief that I left a similar lifestyle far behind long ago.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.