FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Our Colorado get together

Author Topic: Our Colorado get together
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you are no doubt aware we had a semi Hatrack Colorado get together. I say semi because there was only two of us, myself and Jennie (Hansenj). Divaesefani was also going to be part of our get together, but couldn’t fit a Rockie’s game in. [Frown]

So, we decide that since Jennie lives in Louisville and I live in Boulder, whose park and ride is about as close to Louisville as the Louisville park and ride, we’ll meet at the Boulder park and ride and take the Denver express at 5:18. Not that anyone cares what bus we took but maybe it’ll make our get together sound longer at least. [Wink]

I made up a set of intricate plans that would have me arrive at the park and ride at exactly 5:08, and as I normally do, I got there about 30 minutes early. <grin> Which is fine with me, that way Jennie had to recognize me instead of the other way ‘round. Sorry Jennie, but after all you were wearing a blue polo while I was wearing an Endercon shirt. [Wink] So I sit and wait on bench for about 30 minutes or so when all of a sudden I hear a “hey” come at me from the left. I of course, ducked immediately, you never know what one of those can do. Seriously though, I turned around and said hello back to my assailant, Jennie. Actually, Jennie, would make a wonderful assassin since she is so striking as to make any victim feel killing themselves was really the only polite thing to do. [Cool]

We sat and waited on the bench for our bus to come in and discussed a variety of things, from Hatrack mafia to her obsession of the Braves (which I tolerated since at one point they had my all time favorite player, Walt Wiess). Transferring to the bus was only a slight pause in our conversation as we moved on to topics like the Braves and Hatrack mafia.

We arrived in Denver about an hour before the game. We had time to eat dinner and still get to the game with plenty of time to hear all the initial announcements and events (i.e. the singing of the national anthem). Unfortunately, the place I wanted to have dinner at was closed for the night. It’s this wonderful burger place right outside the stadium. You order burgers (or hot dogs or bratwurst) outside at the grill, apply condiments, and move inside the building behind it where you get an air conditioned room and people who offer you beer. That night it was closed since a private party had reserved the entire building. [Mad] So we headed directly into the stadium and purchased the ridiculously over prized and mediocre quality park food. But now I’m just being bitter, at the time I was quite thrilled to do anything with this wonderful women. <grin>

I got a Kosher dog (since they’re the only thing that’ll be made out of one substance) and Jennie got a pizza. You’ll have to ask Jennie what the pizza was like, my dog was decent but at $5.25 it was also ridiculously over-priced. On the way over to the seats (dog in hand) I acted like the pig I was (am) and picked up a tournadough. These are specific to Coor’s Field (the Rockie’s home stadium); they’re long, twisted pieces of sweet bread that have butter spread over them and cinnamon sugar liberally applied. Every game I’ve been to this year (and I’ve been to a lot of games) I’ve gotten at least one. Of course I forgot that when you eat it you get cinnamon sugar all over you and end up looking like a pig. While I was sitting next to Jennie continually wiping away crumbs the size of zoning districts I got the image of Beauty and the Beast in my head. But then again, in the end of that the Beast turn out to be decent, right? <grin>

Anyways, I pulled out some pop I brought along (the fact that I’d brought a 20oz Sprite for Jennie, was probably the only reason she didn’t start to inch over a few seats from me while I was stuffing food in my mouth <grin>) and we struck our conversation back up. Or rather continued it since we’d been talking straight from when we met at 5:10 for the bus to the beginning of the game at 7:05. And heck, we even talked straight though the game! But don’t worry, we noticed Tsoa (the first Taiwanese pitcher in MLB history) put in his second solid performance in three outings, and various Rockies drive balls deep. However, none of this affected our torrent of speech where we touched on subjects ranging from the Braves to Hatrack mafia.

If your curious, the Rockies won the game, which was good (I’d been to the one the night before when they’d lost one of their main wild card contenders) and we left satisfied. The bus ride home was pleasant, and gave us time to converse about subjects like the Braves and Hatrack mafia. When we got back to the park and ride we separated (I resisted the urge to give Jennie a hug as due to her out and out foxiness, I questioned my own motives in doing so [Wink] ) and took our respective cars back to our houses, an evening well spent.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Just so you know, we actually talked about a lot of stuff, all of which I found to be utterly engrossing. Jennie’s a very intelligent person, not that you needed me to tell you that, but I did just the same. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Also, Jennie took a few pictures, but they’ll have to be developed and scanned in (and all of the interesting pictures are on a roll she hasn’t finished shooting yet so it may take a while).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww. [Smile]

Yeah, I've never met any hatrackers except for those I knew when I joined.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you two had fun! [Big Grin]

quote:
I got a Kosher dog (since they’re the only thing that’ll be made out of one substance)
[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] What a complimentary post, Hobbes! [Smile]

(But then again, we already knew that we women of Hatrack are all foxy, right? [Wink] )

Anyway, I had a blast meeting Hobbes and (like he said) there was never a lack of things to talk about. Just so you all know that the only things we discussed we Hatrack mafia and the Braves (I just love Javy Lopez! *sigh*), Hobbes left out one part of the evening for me to tell you all about.

Well, Hobbes and I both attended the same high school (two of the years overlapped). I knew this going in to the get together, but I had no idea how many times I *should* have met him, but didn't. I think I'll list them out:

- At our high school, there is a concert once a year in which the choirs and orchestra combine. Hobbes played the cello (what a great instrument!), and I was in the choirs. So, apparently, we've played (sung) in two concerts together!

- My senior year, I was in our school's production of "Hello, Dolly!" I came to find out Wednesday night that Hobbes was the lone cello player in the pit orchestra for that play. [Cool]

- Not only was he in the pit for the play, but he informed me that he attended the cast party after the last night of the show. I *really* should have run across him there, since it was just at a fellow students house... [Dont Know]

- Back at the beginning of the summer, I attended a church meeting where one of the apostles came and spoke. It was a very intimate kind of setting, and yet I *still* managed to miss Hobbes, who was also in attendance. (I'm still jealous you got to shake his hand twice when I only got to shake it once... [Grumble] [Wink] )

- We also attended the same church meeting again one Sunday earlier in the Summer and still crossed each other in the halls without knowing it.

I think that's it...did I miss any Hobbes?

Anyway, we discussed all of the teachers we both had while at good old FHS, and we decided that we were pretty lucky to go to school where we did. (Incidently, three of the four math teachers I had while in high school Hobbes also had.)

All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening, and I had a wonderful time (albeit, the food *was* ridiculously over-priced). [Big Grin] We will definitely have to do it again next summer (maybe more people will come?? I promise we won't bite!).

...stupid 8 smiley limit.

[ August 10, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I'm working on using up the roll of film that has the pictures on it...I was in Utah this weekend and took some very silly pictures at the BYU campus in order to waste film. [Razz] I still have quite a few left though, because I was dumb and got a 36-exposure roll.

Stay tuned!

[Party]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennie, it's a compliment. He didn't call me foxy once! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Your married. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Seriously though, I didn't want to say anything that would later be read to Bill, who I will no doubt meet... but if it means that much to you...

*Hobbes herby declares Celia to be a very good looking women*

Feel better? [Kiss] [Razz] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.