FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ever put a motorcycle on a trailer?

Author Topic: Ever put a motorcycle on a trailer?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I need some advice. Never done this before. I know that people do it all the time, but I'm concerned about it. Is it best to get a trailer specifically designed to hold a motorcycle (i.e., it has the wheel holders, tie downs, etc), or would a general purpose trailer work just as well if you know how to tie the thing down correctly.

And, on that score, how do you tie it down?

On a more general note, If I purchase a trailer, its going to have to last me a long time. Are there things to consider when buying a "utility" style trailer? Do I need electric brakes on it or will it stop just fine by virtue of its connection to the vehicle.

Thanks for any thoughts, experience, ideas, etc.

[Hail] <----bows to the trailer masters!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

I have e 6' by 10' utility trailer that I haul 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, and the occasional street bike on.

1) You do not need a trailer with its own brakes.

2) There are "tie-downs" called Ancra tie-downs, as well as many off brands. These tie-downs are found in the auto section of K-Mart or Wal-Mart. Just make sure you get the ones that do not have the ratcheting mechanisim. Get the ones that have the straps that you tighten by pulling, thereby tightening up the slack. What you do is attach one tie down to each of the handlebars and attach the other end to each side of the trailer. It is easiest to attach one tie down and let the bike hang a bit over center (like at kick-stand angle) while you rig up the other one. Then when both tie-downs are attached, sit on the bike and center it, and have a buddy tighten up each strap. Your bike is then ready to go. By the way, make sure your front tire is butted up against the front wall of the trailer when attaching the tie downs.

3) I have a feeling you are towing your streetbike, so go to your local cycle shop and get these tie-down extenders that loop through your handlebars on each side. These extenders prevent your handlebars from getting scratched by the "S" hooks that are used to attach the tie-downs to the bike and trailer. Even though the "S" hooks come coated with that rubber coating, the coating starts to dryrot and rip after extended use and the metal protrudes through.

4) Like I said, I have a 6X10 2-wheeled one axle trailer and it is more than adequate for a motorcycle. You could get away with a 4X8 or a 6X8 if you wanted. I also have a wheel that attaches to the "third leg" of the trailer so I can wheel it around in the driveway. Otherwise, you will look like some slave laborer trying to lug the beast around. With a wheel, you just push it... The only other thing you have to worry about is what class hitch you have on your vehicle and what size ball you have on as well. Ball hitch sizes are 1&7/8 and 2 inches, respectively.

[ August 10, 2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I've moved bikes around a lot, although not recently. Just make sure you have a very sturdy ramp on this trailer, to make loading and unloading easier.
Alucard knows what he is talking about as far as securing the bike, but the trailer I prefered using had 3/4 walls on the side, so we covered the bikes with blankets to aviod scratching them and put the straps right through the metal tubing to tie it down.

You don't need a braking system for the trailer, but the third wheel in front is priceless!

Kwea

[ August 10, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mrproducts.com/motorcycle01.htm

Bob,

This website has some nice "Cam soft touch" tie downs that are ideal. Otherwise, you have to get the extenders and these are already made to protect your bike's handlebars.

Also, if you go to k-mart or wal-mart, these tie-downs come in 2 lengths, 6 ft and 12 ft. You should be able to get away with 6 ft.

I echo what Kwea said, but I should have mentioned that the trailer to buy is one that has a fold down ramp in back that doubles as the trailer back wall. Most of these trailers are black tubular steel, come with the fold-down ramp, and have welded-on hitch points to tie down your cargo with. Otherwise, you have to attach the "S" hook of a tie down to the frame of the trailer. Like Kwea said, blankets are a good idea, and if you are handy, you can build walls for your frame-trailer out of plywood etc...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think of this trailer? http://www.jwww.com/razor/
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

The trailers that use the back wall as the ramp are good, as long as you are sure they can withstand the stress. With a trailer that is designed to transport bikes that usually isn't a problem, but if it is a multi-purpose trailer you have to be careful. If you are building your own, or adapting a multi-purpose then you can get a pull out steel ramp, and mount it to the trailer. Try to find a good lenght one, but not longer than 1 foot shorter than the trailer (a 6' long trailer can handle a 4 1/2 to 5' ramp, ect.). Too short and unloading is a bitch; too long and it's too heavy and not as strong.....

Kwea

[ August 10, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Great trailer, as long as you only need to move one bike at a time, and don't need to use the trailer for anything else....
Alucard...
Member # 4924

I prefer a trailer with a rear-mounted axle, so that the weight is distributed on the ball hitch instead of centered over the axle. Otherwise, as said above, this is a GREAT trailer for bikes, but little else.

I bought a utility trailer that was about the same price, but much bigger!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.