FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attention Cryptozoologists

Author Topic: Attention Cryptozoologists
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they've discovered a new species of ape! Pretty cool!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Who would have thought? That's amazing!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
A hybrid? That seems kind of unlikely to me, unless there has been some large-scale interbreeding going on. It seems, if I read the article correctly, that there is a population of these critters, not just one or two of them. There would have to be, if I remember my physical anthro class, a major isolation of the species if there were only a couple of instances of interbreeding that then produced a population of the new hybrid. In that case, there would be some problems in the way of a small gene pool. Or anyway, that seems to be the case. Otherwise, the hybrid genes should have been absorbed back into the existing population.

I would be more inclined to bet on a relatively new species, or else an ancient survival.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just so cool. Hope this is a whole new species rather than just a hybrid.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if genetically it's a hybrid, it still amounts to a new species if a population of these guys are living together and breeding. Many of todays species came about through hybridization of pre-existing species. Once they are a breeding population, then they can evolve from there in any direction their environment takes them. It's not that uncommon.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

My money is on ancient species, but I would *love* for them to be a recent addition to the family tree.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome!! the walking upright thing interesting too. To my untrained eye, the skull of the "mystery ape" looked a lot like a human skull. I wonder if these apes will be more closely genetically related to humans than chimps are! That would turn things on their heads!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Wouldn't it though? I can't wait until they know more!
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting! I hope we hear more soon. Though, I understand that it could take a while to get any new information, of course.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.