FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hedge Knight

Author Topic: The Hedge Knight
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been years since I've looked at a comic book or graphic novel, not out of any dislike of them, but because they were pretty much below my radar. I wanted to see how George R. R. Martin's The Hedge Knight translated to the medium, though, so I picked up the first issue of it on Saturday. Has anyone else looked at it? For those of you who are more familiar with the medium, how does this comic compare to other stuff out there? Are they usually this short? The first issue only brought the story up to the point at which Dunk realizes that Egg has followed him to the tourney; at this rate it'll take them years to complete the story.

One of the visuals was particularly effective, I thought--the one which is drawn from the perspective of the corpse in the open grave, with Dunk looking down at it and his memories of the old man's life depicted along the side, where the wall of the grave would be.

The artwork seemed kind of spotty to me though--maybe it was just the style, but Egg's head seemed to change shape from panel to panel.

Anyone else looked at this one?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I just picked this up yesterday. [Smile]

Now, I'm an AVID reader of comics, but I don't usually pick up adaptations. Since I like George Martin, though, and liked the Legends anthology, I gave this one a shot.

It's not bad, although the artwork is occasionally uninspired; it's certainly not an "artist's" comic, like some of the more alternative fare out there, and neither is it an actioner. However, it's relatively true to its source, and its pacing is similar to what you'd expect from a long serial -- like, say, the first story arc of a regular fantasy comic. Nowadays, most of these comics actually sell better when bundled into the trade paperback than as individual issues, and writers are now pacing their stories to read better in the trade than in serialization.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That is odd!

So this length is pretty standard for a comic then? I was startled at how short it was.

I enjoyed reading it, but not enough to get me interested in the medium in general. When the whole thing is available in a single volume I'll probably buy it though.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.