FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Terminal Procrastination

Author Topic: Terminal Procrastination
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a quote from an OSC interview that was recently linked here:

quote:
Otherwise, I avoid writing the way any sensible person avoids work when nobody's making you do it.

Now, lately I find myself putting off every little bit of work that I have to do until the very last possible minute. This isn't really working out for me...I just can't handle the all-nighters anymore. My question to all of you is, how do you keep yourself motivated when it's something that isn't particularly onerous, but you just don't want to do it?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"My question to all of you is, how do you keep yourself motivated when it's something that isn't particularly onerous, but you just don't want to do it?"

That is easy. First, I make a big list of what I want to do. (I am a teacher, so i have summers off) I put the kids in camp for a week so I can get the house in order and cleaned and organized.

I go downstairs to check my email, not Hatrack, because that would be procrastinating. I put a song on while I look at my email. I finish, and there is still song left, so I figure it won't hurt to check if Ralphie responded to a bit of banter.

Then, all of a sudden, it is 12:25. It is too late to really get anything started, so I decide to go make lunch and take a nap.

I may not have gotten anything on my list accomplished, but I have a back-up system to go on: the "I am on Summer Vacation and I deserve to Relax" system of rationalization.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, that's very similar to the routine I run. My problem is that I tend to do this even when I don't have the time to. I'm so seldom on any sort of break from school that I tend to treat any somewhat spare time as completely free, even when it shouldn't be.

That's how I end up spending all night working on a project that should have been spread out over the summer [Embarrassed] I have no one to blame but myself, though.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the best motivator:

Hit the age of 28 or 29.

Once I discovered that I couldn't pull all-nighters anymore without taking a huge toll on my body, I became somewhat more motivated to start and finish papers earlier. The prospect of no sleep was just too distasteful.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Procrastination
Member # 4821

- posted      Profile for Procrastination           Edit/Delete Post 
::mentally adds Megan and Elizabeth to list of acolytes::

[Evil]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.