FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need a little XP Home help.

Author Topic: Need a little XP Home help.
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last week or so We've been getting random reboots on the Girlfriends computer.

XP Home
All sevrvice packs installed today (was only missing 2)

Will edit momentarily its rebooting again......

Ok I'm back....

Anyhoo, before I was so rudely interupted...

I keep getting an error from NT Authority/System saying the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Terminated unexpectantly and the computer must reboot in 60 seconds. So far 10 reboots since 9 AM.
I've run Norton and its come up empty although the other day it found WC32.Spybot.Worm. I got that taken care of I thought.

What am I missing? Anyone have a clue?

/sigh.... its rebooting again grrrrrrrrrr

Make that 11 reboots today so far. This is driving me buggy

[ August 11, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: BookWyrm ]

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to some security info at UC Davis. The RPC/DCOM issues referenced may be to blame. Otherwise, I'm not finding much.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's computer is having the same problem. I do not look forward to trying to solve this one.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And now my computer as well. It's annoying as HELL! [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a worm taking advantage of a big security hole in windows. I fixed mine today.

Go to www.microsoft.com

Find KB823980

Download it and run it.

Problem solved.

Download the program here and run it. This is for XP home. This should fix it.

[ August 11, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could just go here; I did that 2 years ago and haven't had a problem with Windows (any flavor) since. . . .

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

It only takes a few seconds to download on cable modem. Anyone who has dial up and can't stay up long enough to receive it, I'll try to email it to you if that will help.

If you disconnect from the internet, you will stay up long enough to run it. Then after it reboots when installed, you are safe to reconnect.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I had it right! That's the article referenced at UC-Davis (I guess the Californians got SOMETHING right). [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

Thanks guys.... installed the patch and so far running for 25 minutes without the reboot.

Heres hoping it sticks [Smile]

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

All this searching just helped with my work - just had somebody with this problem, I slipped him the kb doc. [Smile]
ak
Member # 90

Yeah, don't you feel super smart when you can do that? I am just elated that of all the computer geeks here, I was the one who had the fix first. Of course, the REAL computer geeks put this patch on their systems long ago <laughs>.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*whew* all fixed.

[Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Took me two frelling hours to find out what was wrong!! [Wall Bash] Then I got lucky--when I went to the student center to look for help I ran into a guy whose work computers had all just been fixed and knew exactly where to go...whew.

[Party]

PS: Oh, and Bookwyrm? You're lucky. My computer was restarting every _five minutes_. I couldn't even find my way to the patch before it crashed.

[ August 11, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Maccabeus ]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2003-08-11-lovesan_x.htm

and just sent a friend over to the fix-it link. [Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
So, idle curiostiy. If this isn't a problem, should we download the patch anyway? Ever since I downloaded the service pack, my computer has sucked in terms of speed and AIM hasn't worked right. I now hate downloading anything from microsoft.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

If it isn't a problem then most likely the patch is already on your computer. Would it have been part of that service pack you put on?
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, ak. I started having this problem tonight. Now I just hope I can stay hooked up to the internet long enough to download the patch.

Stupid slow dial-up modem. [Mad]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it. BookWyrm had most of the service packs it seems and it happened to him. I'm missing more than he was. Like I said, ever since I downloaded that first Service Pack, I've been afraid of the patches.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

maybe one of those patches will fix the AIM problem. Just download all the ones it scans and says you need and install them. [Wink]
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
In a weird and freaky twist of fate my sister called as I was reading this thread with exactly this issue.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

UPDATE!

A new Worm is out. MSBlast. Anyone with an NT version of Windows should be able to see it in the Task Manager listed as a process.

Just discovered yesterday (late) by Norton.
Here is the info:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

And for a little more news on this....

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/11/internet.attack.ap/index.html

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's all pause for a moment and thank the hacker bastards who described this vulnerability to the public before letting Microsoft quietly release a patch for it, shall we?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I downloaded and ran the patch last night, and my computer runs fine now, no crashes and reboots. If you had this problem, make sure you download the latest virus definitions and run a scan, as you may have the virus on your computer.

Apparently our computer was still infected with the ms.blast.exe virus. My husband downloaded the updated virus definitions from Symantec before he left for work this am, and left the computer running a viral scan. When I woke up, I saw the message, "1 infected file, unable to repair, suggest you quarantine." So I quarantined it. When I re-ran the scan, it shows no infected files. "Reports" shows the virus in quarantine and suggests I repair it - is it urgent that I do it right away, or is it "safe" in quarantine?

**Ela**

[ August 12, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

In theory its safe in quarentine but theres a removal tool at nortons here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

This will remove it from your system.

Ela
Member # 1365

I am already aware of the repair tool. My question is how urgent is it that I use it right away, if the virus is quarantined?

**Ela**

ak
Member # 90

My understanding is that XP home systems don't get infected, they just reboot. Is that correct? If there is no process running called msblast am I clean?
Ela
Member # 1365

My XP system on my home computer got infected, ak. It never hurts to run a scan.

**Ela**

[ August 12, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Ela
Member # 1365

So I ran the virus removal tool, and it told me the virus was not detected on my computer. I am assuming this is because the virus is in quarantine. Do I have to take the virus out of quarantine to remove it from my computer?

**Ela**

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also tell your AV software to simply delete the file in quarantine, and it will.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There was already a patch. Which the government told everybody to apply last week. (Yes, it was the government that publicized this hole so widely -- because it was so big, and there was a patch out).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Why does it say, "Warning, are you sure you you want to permanently remove this item from your system?" when I click to delete the "msblast.exe worm"? It's not connected to something vital to my computer, is it? Are you sure it's ok to just delete it?

(I'm ignorant and nervous about screwing up my computer.)

**Ela**

TheTick
Member # 2883

Yes, you are safe to remove it. It says that no matter what file is quarantined.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Fugu, the problem is that the defect was publicly detailed -- and an example exploit even written and released -- a week BEFORE there was a patch, and that this gave virus authors time to come up with a worm. In my experience, it takes about two months from the time Microsoft releases a patch for people to run Windows Update -- because people are stupid. This isn't a concern for small networks or corporations, this worm, but it's a HUGE issue for home users and college students who don't know how to maintain their machines.

[ August 12, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

You have a higher opinion of corps than I do. The company I work at was hit.

IIRC, the patch was released before the exploit. I'll check for sources.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/12/windows.worm/index.html

The story points out that it was made public a month ago, and that thus it was assumed most major companies were able to patch. Which implies that a patch was available.

That gave me an idea for another search.

http://inquirerinside.com/default.aspx?article=8576

Yep, patched back in March.

Ela
Member # 1365

Just for the record, my husband just told me that the word at his place of business is that the patch and/or the virus removal tool may be incomplete, and that they were advised to avoid going online as much as possible.

*Ela**

mackillian
Member # 586

Like I want to cut off my right arm. [Wink]
TheTick
Member # 2883

Ela, the Windows 2000 version of the patch provides 'incomplete protection', but the rest of the OS versions are fine.

source

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
None of the corps I know used the patch. They all relied on the firewalls to take care of the traffic.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm just amazed that the Maryland DMV was so hard-hit that it had to shut down. THERE's an agency that needs a call from Homeland Security. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.