FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Parthenogenesis

Author Topic: Parthenogenesis
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was reading The Straight Dope just now:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a991008a.html

and I found this article about parthenogenesis in the animal kingdom. Now, it's next to impossible for terran mammals, so you won't see a lot of it in humans. But Cecil cites a certain species of lizard that reproduces almost entirely by parthenogenesis, with males occurring only very rarely.

So I was wondering what a society would be like if its members funcitoned this way. How would males be treated? Would "new" children (the unpredictable products of sex, rather than cloning) be despised or revered? What other complications or differences might arise?

Also, if you've never read The Straight Dope, I'd encourage you to skim through its archives. Awesome knowledge, flippantly written. One of the best things on the internet.

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this Cecil dude is awesome. I like this one:
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.