FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Singles Thread Redux (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack Singles Thread Redux
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Having once more come to grips with my single state and re-affirmed my resolve (I waffle from time to time and this term was one of those times) to remain unattached until after graduation, I thought that in light of the Internet Dating thread and my unrequieted love for Eowyn (I mean, really, what does Faramir have that I don't?) I would start a counter-thread, a return to the singles threads of old.

Points to Mack for suggesting it first, albeit in jest.

So. If you're single and love it, post here. If you're single and hate it, whine here (though not too much, please, unless it's about Eowyn). If you aren't single, go away. [Razz]

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Single, happy, and trying to train myself to stop running for the hills.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm single and feeling very good about myself. I don't feel like I need to be in a relationship, and I'm happy with the person I am.
But I'm also not adverse to forming more friendships with lovely ladies and perhaps starting a relationship from there.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*single* *moving to Ohio for college at the end of this summer* *doesn't want to go through everything that happened last summer, when dating a senior who moved to Oregon for college*

I suppose a light, non-serious relationship would be ok. But the girl would have to know that it can't get too serious. I'd have to make sure that I would follow that myself.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
One is NOT the loneliest number that ever was. For whatever reason, I feel far more lonely in a crowd than I do on my own . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that all the guys in New Orleans think that if you kiss them, you're automatically in a relationship. [Confused]

It's not that I don't want one. It's just that I don't want to get into one until it feels right. Besides. I'm not going to study in Dublin with a boyfriend in America. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. Where were you when I was in college, pH, and looking for girls in New Orleans who didn't think kissing required an exclusive relationship? [Wink]

Oh. Middle school. Never mind.

[ December 17, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Pfft! *thwack* [Big Grin]
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm single. I'm not as unhappy about it as in years past, but it would be nice to have someone to hang out with.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Single... I don't want to be. ;_;
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I'm holding out for Tom or Frisco to break down and call me. If the law of averages fails me yet again, I'll have to go out and find someone this weekend.
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Sooooooo single. [Razz]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Working on becoming fully single; then I can work on NOT being single.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka's got the right idea. [Smile]

No monkey wrenches until you've got your own lives sorted out, people! [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Single and happy. I don't even have time anyway. Unless I find someone in the next five minutes can write French Essays on Maupassant's life influencing his book Pierre et Jean in one night (ei for tomorrow), in that case I would be quite open to a relationship.

[Roll Eyes]

EDIT: Putting 'time' in capital letters makes it look like the magazine.

[ December 18, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a word of warning, within the next 10 posts, someone will mention how great it is NOT being single, and then after that the entire thread is just about how great dating and marriage is.

This means you, Jon and Ruth. [Wink]

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Single and lovin' it!!

Although I'm not above flirting for fun too...

I like making goo-goo eyes at Bob_S online here just because it's fun, and to make him nervous.....(Texas isn't that far - maybe a day trip...) [ROFL]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Single and sexy in Georgia. . .give me a call, ladies. [Wink]

That's a seductive wink. Very yellow. Very sexy.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*resurrect*

I've been told by several people that I need to start dating.

o_O

But how?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, mack needs to date.

She is, you see, 'special'. I don't mean special in the 'short bus' way, she is 'special' in the strikingly attractive, intelligent, and excellent sense of humor way. That can be intimidating to some men. *kicks some men*

Someone, please date my friend and renew my faith in mankind. I know there are secure, attractive, funny men out there. Why aren't they in NH, near mack???

Poo.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind dating Mack, but I live all the way out in Kentucky.

I'm the second-last of seven kids to still be unmarried, and Meleah only turned 18 last month, so she doesn't count. Mack is cool, funny, and smart--and she looks like she could break me in half. (Wouldn't hurt for one of us to be tough. [Smile] )

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, how can you beat the combination of Macc and mack?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking about this thread. A bunch of my friends have started to get together with each other. And while I'm happy for them it just changes things, even more so than if they were dating outside our friend group. Now it's not just like they have xyz significant other but when we have general get togethers there's new couplishness.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that the dynamics of my social group changed when everyone started pairing off. New people came to the group, and sometimes breakups left people feeling alienated. Oh, and I like being single just fine. Not that I'm completely against having a relationship...but the guy will have to be awfully special to make me want to invest all that time and possibly set myself up for a lot of pain.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
The girls I've talked to say it only really hurts the first time.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind being single. I am happy being single. It's true that I would love to have kids, to have a family of my own. Nothing could be better than that. I know I would love to be married, to be in love with someone who loved me back, but that doesn't seem to be how the universe is made. [Smile] So I'm accepting the universe as it is, and not worrying about what it isn't. It's a really cool place, an amazing place, a wonderful playground for me. I love it. And there are lots of people in it for me to love.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
After dating my girlfriend for 4 years. We broke up. It never really registered on my mind that we broke up, and then when it finally hit me, that we were not going to get back together, I wanted her back. I know, you've heard this kind of story before. But needless to say, she did not want me back. In fact shes got a new boyfriend, which I think is kind of odd, since shes saying shes taking this time alone, to find out who she really is. How is she doing that if shes already pouring herself in to another relationship? Oh well, the way she is acting is bringing me back to the reason why we first broke up, I didnt think she was right for me.

But, this thread is about being single! And I am now... but am looking for dates. It doesnt need to be a full fledged relationship right now, though I do miss that. It has been kind of hard, because I work all day, in an office. I dont really have any girls or much potential to meet girls that I would like to date. But after about a month of searching and searching, I have found one girl so far, who seems to be a little interested in dating. we'll see [Smile]

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
relationship? wassat?

Something I've come to notice in my time dating is that people don't think about the same things/ same way. More depth would be to say one person would think they were in a relationship, and the other would think that they were just friends...

I'm single, and quite frankly, looking but not persuing: I think that I need to figure out more about myself, and find out more of what I'm looking for in a woman / companion.

With that said: My previous relationships have all had nothing but miscommunication, Maybe instead of looking for someone to "Date", look for someone that you can relate to, or can have a solid friendship, to which you can build upon and make a relationship in such a manner than you actually communicate, and clearly.

Okay, I realize i'm single and don't have any "weight" in what I say because I am. The thing that allows myself to speak/talk about it is that I have thought about it in depth, and have tried to be very introspective.

One thing I think needs to be said is that not all relationships should start with infatuation, or based purely on looks / appearance, while these things are nice, and something everyone looks at all the time, they are really not the end goal, or at least not my end goal. *Which also makes me think that I may never find what i'm looking for, because I have yet to see anything remotely resembling what I'm looking for in a person. That is mostly due to the fact that I really don't know what i'm looking for, except that I know I want to be accepted, just as everyone else does, and I want to accept them for who they are.*

I think communication is really important when you are persuing ANY kind of relationship, and when there is lack of communication you have lack of understanding, or possible chance for common ground that you could use to make a foundation for your relationship.

Another key to relationships in my mind is that you have to accept yourself before you can be accepted by others *allowing others to accept you because you accept yourself*.

Just letting my mind leak, any ideas?

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

(Minor rant time)

At my college, it seems that most relationships are based on infatuation. Or booze. I'm not sure which yet. I'm guessing this is the case for the vast majority of college-age relationships.

I like the fact that people actually read books and things. They like to be educated. They have goals and things like that. Therefore, most of the young men I meet while I'm at school are automatically attractive to me because they actually want to do something with their lives. When I was in high school, I usually dated complete losers who thought they were going to be rockstars or drug dealers or something.

Unfortunately, all of these intelligent college guys also want to get laid.

Which is a huge factor in pH remaining so very single.

That, and I have this tendency to fall head-over-heels for guys that I absolutely cannot have, either because they live to far away, or they're never here, or they don't like me back, or they're just _extremely_ bad for me.

*growls and wanders off to find peanut butter cup ice cream and Colin Farrell dvd's*

-pH

[ December 26, 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, you're in your first year of your undergrad. Everyone's away from home for the first time, away from mommy and daddy. Stretching their legs for the first time. Give it time, yo. Besides, who has time to balance both school and a relationship?

<--- Contentedly single

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, who needs anyone when you're as free spirited as I am?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<hooks up phone>

<waits for booty call>

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay free spirits! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
But...but I want to be a rockstar too... [Frown]

By the way, pH, thanks for the LJ comment. Teen angst...sigh. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You'll make it zot. [Smile]

Yes I'm single, and it actually kind of sucks the day after Christmas.

Every other time it's ok.

[Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Obvious
Member # 4486

- posted      Profile for Captain Obvious           Edit/Delete Post 
Oops . . . I was going to wait until ten posts after T's to mention that marriage is great, but I kind of forgot. Ten, twenty . . . whatever.

P.S.: Being married is great.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, what do you mean "the day after Christmas" sucks? I kinda of think the whole Christmas season (at least this year) is terrible for terminally single people, namely myself. My Christmas actually got good today.

Btw, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they'll never find what they're looking for. I can't imagine that I will be alone forever, but pickens seem slimmer than usual for the likes of me. And I admit that I am bitter, but I try not to let it consume me so that maybe eventually I'll notice Prince Charming when he's standing right in front of me. As if.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like the fact that people actually read books and things. They like to be educated. They have goals and things like that. Therefore, most of the young men I meet while I'm at school are automatically attractive to me because they actually want to do something with their lives. When I was in high school, I usually dated complete losers who thought they were going to be rockstars or drug dealers or something.

Unfortunately, all of these intelligent college guys also want to get laid.

Speaking on behalf of those young men, don't you think that if you enjoy their company but don't want to sleep with them, you're more a friend than a girlfriend? I mean, I can understand their confusion.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well, seeing as sex before marriage is against my religious beliefs... [Razz]

Doesn't mean I don't like making out with them. Or cuddling, or any other number of other things.

Oh, making out....how I miss thee....

*can't wait for New Year's* [Big Grin]

-pH

Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
Well, seeing as sex before marriage is against my religious beliefs...
Somehow, I doubt any god's going to be petty enough to ban you from Heaven based on the date your hymen broke.

Heh, I was just listening to Chris Rock the other day, and he brought up an excellent point. Doesn't it seem just slightly ridiculous that a god's going to be petty enough to discriminate on basis of diet? Does God really give you that many points for not eating pork or cow? I mean, yeah, I killed a bunch of kids -- but I ate right!

I hold the same opinion for sex. If your god went and made the cosmos, I doubt she's about to send you to Hell based on the date your love life started.

Heh, this issue probably deserves its own thread. What with all the Mormons around here -- why would God care about coffee, of all the issues to fret over?

And, heh, excuse the rant. I'm in the mood.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

When are you NOT? [Wink]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo - one would generally use the term girlfriend based on the nature and degree of one's emotional commitment, rather than one's physical relationship. At least so I would hope.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

You and I would, but how many nubile young freshmen undergraduates care enough to distinguish relationships beyond the physical?

Not that I'm insulting the the intellectual or emotional capactities of young men, but like Bob said, theirs is the time to stretch legs -- and more than a few freshmen I know consider stretching a girlfriend's legs to be the way to stretch their own.

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Lalo, if we're going to start a serious theological discussion in a thread about dating......

A lot of people seem to think that the more powerful and knowledgeable you are, the less you care about the little things. IMHO, the opposite is true. It is precisely because God is omnipotent and omniscient that "his eye is on the sparrow and all the hairs of your head are numbered". The greater you are, the tinier the details you care about, because you realize more and more how important details are. (Or maybe it's the other way around--maybe it's caring about the details that makes you more knowledgeable and powerful.) Apply that to morality, and suddenly...everything matters, however trivial it might seem to others.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Caring about the little things if fine. But caring about the irrelevant details is obnoxious, and unbecoming of an omnipotent, omniscient deity.

Am I a bad person if I eat pork or drink caffeine? Aren't sins meant to distinguish moral crimes? I fail to see how sleeping with my girlfriend or enjoying a good steak somehow incriminates me, much less in the eyes of an omnipotent god who clearly has too much time on her hands.

mackillian
Member # 586

I don't necessarily think that pre-marital sex is bad. My church does believe it's a sin, but let's leave that aside. I do think that sex should be reserved for when you're emotionally ready for it.

*shrug*

That's all.

I think my difficulty with dating occurs not from my beliefs about sex before marriage (I'm fine with it), it's my own problems with intimacy. I've made great gains with it and am mostly okay.

The thing with most males my age, they expect/want sex in their relationships. I'm fine with that, but I don't know when I'll be capable of it. Most guys aren't that patient. I don't even know when that will be, really. It depends on the guy, trust and all that, etc.

So entering the dating world becomes very tough at my age. I'm 23 (24 in a couple weeks). Guys my age..well. Lalo is my age. Case in point. [Wink]

Lalo
Member # 3772

Hey, Mac and I agree that sex should be reserved until one is emotionally ready. And I'm fairly sure we both agree that "should" does not make having sex when too emotionally immature a "sin," right? Which is the issue I'm tackling at the moment, the labelling of harmless acts as "sins."

I also agree that one shouldn't expect sex in any casual relationship. God knows I don't -- I never push the issue, I just wait for her to be ready for that kind of relationship. Not all guys are pigs, you know. You just need to start dating more Mexicans. Live la vida loca!

And damn, I'd forgotten. We're both Roman Catholic, right?

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::chuckles for own reason::

I'd be happy with just kissing. Or holding hands. Or a nice conversation.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*pat pats Hot Nathan*

Last time I checked I was Roman Catholic. Though not a very GOOD one. [Wink]

The problem with theology is that it comes down to what God you believe in and what attributes you believe that God has. And through that, what you believe about the Scripture and canon for your chosen beliefs.

You can prove and disprove anything based on YOUR beliefs, but it might have no profound impact on someone else's.

I understand why moral theologians of the conservative sort would frown upon pre-marital sex in my church. Even moderates would hold some sort of objection. But when confession time comes, there are priests who would say that committing a mortal sin (the really bad ones [Wink] ) take a DELIBERATE turning away from God. The royal, "Eff you, I don't need you."

Now, most young adults, when deciding to have and engaging in sex, if they do follow a religion, aren't saying, "Eff you God, I don't need you."

Instead, they're either overcome by the moment or have made a mature decision that they've made it into their early twenties, are not married, but are emotionally ready to bring this type of intimacy into a relationship.

Is God going to get pissed if the person is someone who otherwise a decent human being? Are they trying the best they can to be decent?

The God that I believe in wouldn't be pissed. Irritated, maybe. I don't know. I can't claim to know God or His wishes. But it really does come down to what you believe and what you believe that OTHERS should believe. Do you project your moral system onto others? Are there certain absolutes (don't murder) and others that are not-so-certain (sex before marriage)?

*shrug*

Having sex when you're emotionally immature? I don't think it's a sin of the mortal sense. You're an immature kid, you'll learn. Part of growing up is making mistakes. There's too much other bad crap going on to tell folks that sex is a huge giant big ol' honkin' sin.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.